• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haha Filth I have to admit you know Yoku Rd very well! It seems every dick and his dog like to come down and watch on Saturday's, there is even a tent full of women whom I like to call, 'The Housewives of Yoku Rd' who enjoy a bottle (or 3) of wine each and proceed to comment on players haircuts. Good times.

please tell me you're not passing judgement here? Please tell me you are not having a crack at a club that has been able to engage with the female fan base not matter in any capacity?

Good for bloody GPS (and the many clubs that try to do it, via ladies days etc) but we shouldn't belittle them, which to me it sounds like you are doing.

My sister-in-law is one of those ladies who often frequents the tents at GPS Prem Rugby days. She has 5 kids, 3 boys who play GPS Jnrs and is run off her feet. A couple of times a year the mums of the jnr teams get together and go to the prem rugby game. Good for them I say. Who cares that they may not know who Jack Mullins or Liam Ferguson or Nathan Gendle are. They are massive supporters of rugby who should be encouraged for their support of the game and embraced at any level.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good for bloody GPS (and the many clubs that try to do it, via ladies days etc) but we shouldn't belittle them, which to me it sounds like you are doing.

Im sorry if you've taken it that way Reg but it honestly wasn't what I was trying to do, I don't think I pointed out anywhere in my post that it was a negative?

My missus and own mother are also part of these women. I was simply pointing out an aspect of the Saturday Yoku Rd ritual which I find amusing and also an enjoyable part of the day. And for what its worth i've assisted in the setup of the GPS Ladies day for the past several years so am no stranger to how important it is to getting the women of club rugby involved.

Ill cease adding any humour to my posts in future.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tigers Tale feel free to keep posting here my friend but TD advice should be taken on board, keeping it to a paragraph or 2.

I hate to make prejudgments on people I know nothin about but I have u pegged as a lazy public servant with nothing better to do then pen a JR Tolkein novella on the history of bottomley park.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thats cool BD. I must have misinterpreted it wrongly. My apologies.

No worries :)

So now that training is back in full swing, has anyone got confirmed sightings of Greene? I know he's probably training with the Reds WTS but has he popped up at any club yet?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TD - taken I will leave your thread alone and sit back and wait for QPR 2014 - I apologise for posting facts that have clearly upset others. I will let everyone push their owns barrows on this thread unquestioned. I have only ever posted things that I believe to have factual backing or with the intention to provoke reaction of fellow contributors or defend untruths.

Good luck to the Dogs this year - they'll need it.

@Tigers Tale please heed my message.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
TT I just dont like the way to take swipes at the other clubs ie GPS and Sunnybank because they're running things differently to Easts.

As for where the club is putting their money, I think it must be going to the right places cause over the last few years GPS have won back to back 4ths premierships, a third grade one and several 2nd grade, so unless the club is somehow paying all those blokes also, I think as a club, they're doing alright.

And for what its worth, Samo and the Faingaas did more work behind the scenes down at Yoku on game days then they probably would have done on the field. The amount of times I saw them watching lower grade and colts games, from kickoff to final whistle, actively talking to players and coaches before, during and after was truly special. I don't know the full details of whatever they were compensated with to play at the club but in my opinion its been well worth it.

I think you will find that Samo and the Fingers both resided in Everton Park (or near) as well, which of course had "nothing" to do with why they chose GPS. My info was that they were paid but much, much less than what many think

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would say that Brothers have been the most consistent team of the last 10 years and therefore the most successful. As a Premier Club your number one goal is to make the finals. After that luck does come into play with the finals games, it is also funny how the better teams tend to get the good luck too.

Also the thing going against Brothers is that they haven't had a lot of Reds players to return so they come up against teams with professional players filtering back.

T

Tigers Tale

Don't worry TD I am not back in the fold but just for SX & your sake I can confirm that Sam Greene will be pulling on a Bulldogs jersey in 2014.

Bad luck then to GPS, Uni & Brothers who apparently all had desires to secure his services. Uni pushed harder than the others by all accounts.

(Source - Sam Greene himself.)

Easts trials: v Souths 1/3, Wests 8/3, & Norths 15/3(not Prems) - all away venues, then Prems play Syd Uni 22/3 at Bottomley whilst they have the bye in round 1 QPR14.

There seems to be a few players from other clubs (Breakers, Magpies, Eagles) training down at Easts - all of which have come of their own free volition. They are not stars but they are solid Premier grade players.

My biggest prediction for QPR14: the scrums under the new laws are going to be a shambles in the early part of the season as the players & referees adjust to the new scrum regime. The Reds have been spending hours on it.

I'll go back in my box now.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't worry TD I am not back in the fold but just for SX & your sake I can confirm that Sam Greene will be pulling on a Bulldogs jersey in 2014.

Bad luck then to GPS, Uni & Brothers who apparently all had desires to secure his services. Uni pushed harder than the others by all accounts.

(Source - Sam Greene himself.)

Easts trials: v Souths 1/3, Wests 8/3, & Norths 15/3(not Prems) - all away venues, then Prems play Syd Uni 22/3 at Bottomley whilst they have the bye in round 1 QPR14.

There seems to be a few players from other clubs (Breakers, Magpies, Eagles) training down at Easts - all of which have come of their own free volition. They are not stars but they are solid Premier grade players.

My biggest prediction for QPR14: the scrums under the new laws are going to be a shambles in the early part of the season as the players & referees adjust to the new scrum regime. The Reds have been spending hours on it.

I'll go back in my box now.
Care to name a few? We will be decimated at some points of the season with rep commitments, would be good to have some reliable players to come into the side.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Geez, players coming from the Breakers to Easts, never heard of that before.

TT, just out of interest, why would players come from Norths to Easts? The distance is the main reason.

T

Tigers Tale

Geez, players coming from the Breakers to Easts, never heard of that before.

TT, just out of interest, why would players come from Norths to Easts? The distance is the main reason.

Mr Filth please it's obvious - they want out of Norths for some reason so they think where could I go? Crosby no I'd rather drive past Crosby and jump in the Clem7 & pop over to Bottomley - it's just the vibe!! (Circa the Castle).

T

Tigers Tale

Care to name a few? We will be decimated at some points of the season with rep commitments, would be good to have some reliable players to come into the side.

Rather not name names as some guys that come to pre-season end up going back to where they came but it looks like they have taken some steps to add to the depth of the squad only time will tell.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Heard some chat over the weekend from an Easts player that they were looking at a NRC team on their own. Any truth to that @Tigers Tale?

T

Tigers Tale

NRC - news to me Jets.

I think the only Brisbane Club that the ARU would give an NRC stand alone licence to is Uni due to the underlying links to university criteria. They would have to play at Ballymore.

Clearly the Breakers would also be a chance on this criteria alone but they would have to rely upon players from the Reds and other Brisbane clubs to be competitive on the park, and they would probably have to play at Skilled Stadium or Ballymore to meet the facilities criteria.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I dont frequent the 3rd tier forum much, was there a final figure produced to what the cost would be for a team in the NRC? I would think majority of the clubs in Brisbane would struggle to cover outlays by themselves based off what I had heard (upwards of $200k).

Status
Not open for further replies.