• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

$200,000 to $300,000 is the figure being bandied around.

Even if Easts wanted to get a stand alone licence I'd say they'd struggle (as would most Brisbane clubs) to get this coin together unless they found a generous sponsor.

Tez T

Bob McCowan (2)
What is with the Brisbane Premiership Competition structure released last Friday (1st Feb)?

Only 4 grades and 2 Colts, with 4th Grade and Colts 2 to play on the Friday night over only 9 rounds.

How do you charge the same fees to players who only get half a season?

Last season, Souths was one of the clubs that fielded 5 grades on Saturday and were looking at possibly more this season. Where do those players go?

Why does it feeel like grassroots rugby is being abandoned by the administrators?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The question has to be raised about what the benefit is from the QRU running the comp? Would a model like Sydney be a better option for Brisbane?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't believe numbers have been great this year due to the season starting early.

If the season had kicked off in April then this would be the time where people would filter in after holidays (australia day) i guess there could be a flow on affect where people are too lazy to come down to training knowing that squads are starting to be solidifed.

& the numbers that you quoted Tez do not take into account that there will be Friday night teams & the Scottney Cup competitions which are also played on Saturdays.

There'll be plenty of rugby to be played.

What is with the Brisbane Premiership Competition structure released last Friday (1st Feb)?

Only 4 grades and 2 Colts, with 4th Grade and Colts 2 to play on the Friday night over only 9 rounds.

How do you charge the same fees to players who only get half a season?

Last season, Souths was one of the clubs that fielded 5 grades on Saturday and were looking at possibly more this season. Where do those players go?

Why does it feeel like grassroots rugby is being abandoned by the administrators?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If that structure is true, it could have a serious effect on club culture. I know at GPS the Friday Night teams have always kind of run their own show (for better or worse) which has limited their interactions within the greater club environment.

Taking away two teams in 4th grade and colts 2 who generally play earlier in the day on Saturday and then hang out at the club supporting their mates would be a poor move IMO as it would be alienating a fairly large group of players. Especially asking a colts team to do that seems odd, lots of these guys come out of school to play and interact with their mates on game day. Im not saying these guys wouldn't still come and support on a saturday but its still not the same.

Tez T

Bob McCowan (2)
Do you have a link or a copy of this structure which you could share?

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 1ST GRADE
Kick Off: 11.30am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 2nd GRADE
Kick Off: 10.15am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 3rd GRADE
Kick Off: 9.00am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – Colts 1
Kick Off: 11.30am – Field 2

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership Clubs
Brothers Rugby Club
GPS Rugby Club
Easts Rugby Club
Wests Rugby Club
Souths Rugby Club
North Brisbane Rugby Club
Bond University Rugby Club (Colts 1 only)
Logan Rugby Club
University of Queensland Rugby Club
Sunnybank Rugby Club

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership (Friday Night)
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 4th GRADE
Kick Off: 7.30pm – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – Colts 2*
Kick Off: 6.15pm – Main Oval
Regular season will run from March 22nd – 24th May 2014 (9 Rounds)
- 4 Team final series
- Elimination Finals - 31st May 2014
- Grand Final – 7th June 2014

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership (Women)
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP - WOMEN
Venue/Kick Off: TBC
•Proposal A
-Home/Away season - venue and time confirmed once team
nominations complete

•Proposal B*
-All games drawn at a single venue each week rotated
between all competing clubs throughout the season e.g.
Week 1: Sunnybank
.Game 1: 11.30am
.Game 2: 12.45pm
.Game 3: 2pm
Week 2: GPS
Week 3: Redlands etc…..
*Please note: this can be drawn so as not to clash with the Men’s draw if field capacity at clubs is an issue.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone got any info on the NRC expressions of interest?

Apparently, the QRU's persistance to get as much money as possible (ie: Junior Gold fees and registration) has put off a lot of clubs.

Apparently a meeting between some of the key heads at Sunnybank, Easts, Brothers, Souths and GPS is happening this week to sort this shit out. They aren't happy with the QRU.

This is third hand information, so I could be wrong,

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ive heard similar Tigerland. Not specifically about the NRC but rather just the QRU trying to squeeze the dollar and telling everyone whats going to be happening in all aspects of QLD rugby rather than getting club input. Not a great way to start the year.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I dont frequent the 3rd tier forum much, was there a final figure produced to what the cost would be for a team in the NRC? I would think majority of the clubs in Brisbane would struggle to cover outlays by themselves based off what I had heard (upwards of $200k).

$2000 match payment per game (RUPA set) 23 players in match day squad x 8 games
No chance coaches & medical staff will be free if players get paid. Going rate for doctors is around $100 per hour - can be more.
Field hire for training & games - buggered if I know
Expenses around games- security, ticket sellers, bar staff, cost of sales
Jerseys (around $300 per Jersey), short & socks
Training gear - you'd probably know more than me
Actual medical supplies & strapping tape (for training & games) - [won't see much change from $15000 for this bit]

My maths isn't great but that's a shitload more than $200K.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'll see if I can find the article online, but as I said a few pages back, TT and other Easts enthusiasts, you'll find the Easts coach came out saying how Easts should venture alone in the NRC, due to 2 main things, being support (crowd) and depth in players.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 1ST GRADE
Kick Off: 11.30am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 2nd GRADE
Kick Off: 10.15am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 3rd GRADE
Kick Off: 9.00am – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – Colts 1
Kick Off: 11.30am – Field 2

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership Clubs
Brothers Rugby Club
GPS Rugby Club
Easts Rugby Club
Wests Rugby Club
Souths Rugby Club
North Brisbane Rugby Club
Bond University Rugby Club (Colts 1 only)
Logan Rugby Club
University of Queensland Rugby Club
Sunnybank Rugby Club

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership (Friday Night)
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – 4th GRADE
Kick Off: 7.30pm – Main Oval
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP – Colts 2*
Kick Off: 6.15pm – Main Oval
Regular season will run from March 22nd – 24th May 2014 (9 Rounds)
- 4 Team final series
- Elimination Finals - 31st May 2014
- Grand Final – 7th June 2014

2014 Competition Structure – Brisbane Premiership (Women)
BRISBANE PREMIERSHIP - WOMEN
Venue/Kick Off: TBC
•Proposal A
-Home/Away season - venue and time confirmed once team
nominations complete

•Proposal B*
-All games drawn at a single venue each week rotated
between all competing clubs throughout the season e.g.
Week 1: Sunnybank
.Game 1: 11.30am
.Game 2: 12.45pm
.Game 3: 2pm
Week 2: GPS
Week 3: Redlands etc…..
*Please note: this can be drawn so as not to clash with the Men’s draw if field capacity at clubs is an issue.

I'm interest to understand how a Premiership Club like Easts can't field a Colts 2 side given all the talk of 'culture & vibe'??? Whilst definitely not the sole problem, the lack of a 3rd team is contributing to the ugly issue with the Colts 2 comp structure. Brothers, Sunnybank, Souths, Uni x2, GPS have all nominated a team but the proposed comp only runs half the season. Potentially Easts should not only chase the schoolboy stars, but also their lower grade mates. Just a thought.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As we've looked at mostly Brothers, GPS and Easts thus far, I was wondering about University and they now have Scott Allen in the coaching staff for Premier Grade. I think he is a great coach and analyses the game to a t. Should we be watching out for the Students, Cat_A and breakdown?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Scott described his role to me as an individual skills coach - he'll have a role in the analysis of the game but he'll be looking much more at, for example, why someone falls off a tackle, and rectifying it. Of course that will be a more difficult task since the ARU/QRU are no longer paying for the games to be recorded - I don't know at this stage if Uni are still going to pay for it, but even if Uni pays to tape home games you can't be 100% sure that every club will do so.

In terms of the players, I haven't been down close to where the Prems train since the very first day of training, but I have been struck by how many familiar faces are around, especially after training when they all come up to where I am. I think that in all the talk of the 'stars' that Uni has, the core group (only some of whom are benched come finals time) has stayed amazingly stable considering - Uni graduations and getting 'real jobs' has wiped out entire teams in the past!

Talking about players like Will Thompson, Will Tuffley, Sam Cochrane, Matt Arvier, Lyall Fidow et al - still fairly young, but they've been around for what seems like forever - all working full-time, one with a new baby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Does that mean Fidow and Cochrane aren't playing? That would make sense considering Uni were apparently trading in anyway...which makes me feel sorry for players like Wakely & Brown who most clubs would enjoy having on the books.
I think its a big mistake to not video tape games. Lower grades have enough trouble as is with incidents not being caught by the referee, now opening the top line fixtures to such occurrences would be a step backwards. Even Brisbane second division rugby league tapes it's fixtures, it would be ludicrous for rugby to stop.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Fidow and Cochrane are absolutely both at training. Both of them (and Brown and Wakely) know that their selection in Premier grade is up to Heeno. I've also seen Wakely around the club and I think Brown, but unless he came up nearer to where I was situated I couldn't be 100%.

It's a bit old school, but if they train hard and play well they'll get their chances and if they play better than the others they'll get the start.
I know that Cochrane and Fidow have both played a fair amount of 1st and 2nd grade in their time. I don't think there's any shame in it, especially for a young front rower.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Scott described his role to me as an individual skills coach - he'll have a role in the analysis of the game but he'll be looking much more at, for example, why someone falls off a tackle, and rectifying it. Of course that will be a more difficult task since the ARU/QRU are no longer paying for the games to be recorded - I don't know at this stage if Uni are still going to pay for it, but even if Uni pays to tape home games you can't be 100% sure that every club will do so.

In terms of the players, I haven't been down close to where the Prems train since the very first day of training, but I have been struck by how many familiar faces are around, especially after training when they all come up to where I am. I think that in all the talk of the 'stars' that Uni has, the core group (only some of whom are benched come finals time) has stayed amazingly stable considering - Uni graduations and getting 'real jobs' has wiped out entire teams in the past!

Talking about players like Will Thompson, Will Tuffley, Sam Cochrane, Matt Arvier, Lyall Fidow et al - still fairly young, but they've been around for what seems like forever - all working full-time, one with a new baby.

I'm the first one to point out when the QRU or ARU aren't doing their job but this is actually wrong. The QRU are currently tendering out the filming of all Premier, Premier Reserve Grade and Premier Colts games. The preferred supplier will be appointed by 28 Feb.

This will be funded by $25K from the QRU and $5K from each club via the Premier Rugby Funding pool.

So if Scott wants to analyse the games he should have the footage.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Groovy - thanks for that Jets. My information was clearly old (from 11 December, to be precise) where the answer to that was "who knows?"

Thanks for the correction - that's really good news

Status
Not open for further replies.