• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hard to beat Uni with their extra colts team. GPS have a womens team this year though so might get close.

Edit: Just remembered only one team in each grade gets counted so disregard my extra colts comment.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ah I wish Filth but you really needs LOTS of numbers. At the moment I believe they have about 50 colts on the books for 2014. To sustain 4 colts teams over the year you'd want at least 80 I reckon to cover for injuries, uni exams etc. Better to keep the extra numbers and rotate rather than have a team forfeiting due to lack of players. Also the fact that colts 2 more or less play in a different comp, sometimes different venues etc means they are always forfeiting players to colts 1 for a bench which further reduces numbers.

Similar thing happened at GPS in 5th grade last year. Was about 35 blokes in 5th grade so they entered another team, three weeks later 5ths 'B' side folded because they only had 10 blokes able to play every week due to various reasons.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm surprised Brothers didn't win the Shield back in 2009, I think we had nearly every major side in the final. Prem, 1st, 2nd, 3rds, colts 1 and 2.

Easts use to win it quite a bit, TT.

T

Tigers Tale

You are a being a bit generous Filth I think Easts have only ever won the Doughty Shield 4 or 5 times and all of those bar one in about 1984 have been won in the last 15/20 years.

Uni & Brothers dominated it for years and years and years....

It will be a while before Easts secure it again.

I thought in the case where you have two teams in a particular comp only the points from one side counts in the Doughty Shield? - Rugby Reg?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So any clubs kickin off with trials this weekend?

The Dogs play Qld U20 out at Herston on Saturday but I'm not even going to bother to commit to go because good chance all trials get cancelled as predicted by me due to the 7 day BOM weather forecast.

Wet wet wet!!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A brave point to raise, TT, but I do wonder why he would leave Wests since being in contention for a Super Rugby contract.

T

Tigers Tale

Not trying to stir the pot but my informants tell me that Sef is off to St Lucia.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought it was common knowledge at this stage that Sef was playing at Uni? Didn't we get confirmation when they named the Reds A team?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Link to Doughty Shield Winners list

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/AboutUs/History/DoughtyShieldWinners.aspx

Uni have won it for the last three years, which just goes to show their depth and why they need to go out and target the Filth's 2014 Colts, Sef from the Dogs, etc!!!!!!

They actually forgot to put last years up so uni have won 4 in a row for the Dougherty.
As for sef and the other wests boys is it possible they followed over Scotty Allen?
Without sounding like a broken record premier rugby is not all about dollars and cents. If fact in my experiences it has very little to do with that.
Ps as previously stated I am not with the club anymore so have no insight on why sef left wests for uni.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
They actually forgot to put last years up so uni have won 4 in a row for the Dougherty.
As for sef and the other wests boys is it possible they followed over Scotty Allen?
Without sounding like a broken record premier rugby is not all about dollars and cents. If fact in my experiences it has very little to do with that.
Ps as previously stated I am not with the club anymore so have no insight on why sef left wests for uni.

What? And actually ASK the players why they left Wests for other clubs? I dunno. It's easier, and surely more accurate, to put your assumptions on an Internet forum like they're fact. After all, the law of the internet says that if you say anything enough times it becomes fact.

[I have actually asked the Wests players who have made the switch to Uni and their response was that they wanted to win a premiership and they felt they had a better shot at Uni than Wests during their playing career (plus the coaching, plus the 'pack mentality', plus the cost of rego fees is lower, plus their mates from the Qld Samoa team play there already...)]

T

Tigers Tale

I thought it was common knowledge at this stage that Sef was playing at Uni? Didn't we get confirmation when they named the Reds A team?

I wasn't trying to be scoop with the Sef call I was just using it as an example of how Uni use their influence to poach players from other clubs e.g. Rod Davies, Herman Porter, Adam Procaine, etc etc I have heard that they also had a whisper in UJ & Jonah Placid's ears recently.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I might be naive but please explain?

The registration fees at Uni as of last year were $360 (or very close to). From what I've been told from players coming to the club this is cheaper than other places & also covers strapping for games.

Edit: it's $360 for 2014 too

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh thats about $100 cheaper than GPS, however, I would have thought Wests wouldn't be too expensive either.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Yeh thats about $100 cheaper than GPS, however, I would have thought Wests wouldn't be too expensive either.

What is it about Wests that would make you assume that their fees would be lower than GPS (and/or on par with Uni's)?

Or to turn that question around if it's easier to answer, why are GPS fees higher than what you assumed Wests would be charging?

EDIT: my post was written before RugbyGreg's post. But I'm interested in how you perceive rego fees are set

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Not true. Senior subs at Wests are currently $300 ($250 for Colts), which are to my knowledge, the cheapest in Brisbane.

Given the costs involved in fielding senior teams I think Wests' fees are to low but that is another conversation.

Wow - that is really low, especially with the new $200 per senior team levy and the aggregation model of Premier grade funding.

AND that on the website it says that the rego fees (on there it says fees are TBA) also cover strapping tape for games - that's a massive expense (2 ankles strapped costs $9 per day, as a guide)

EDIT:
You didn't mention the fees for grades players that you quoted were after a discount for those who paid in full before 19 February.
After 19 Feb and until 20 March the discounted fees are $350 for grades and after that its $400 or $450 before 22 May (or if they pay it off via Paysmart)

I see though that Colts stay $250 the whole way through - definitely the cheapest.

Link: http://www.westsbulldogsrugby.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014-Playing-Subscriptions.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.