• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That was a pretty unbelievable game. The half time score didn't feel legit, without taking anything away from GPS.

The 2nd half though, the Gallopers just weren't in it. That pack of the bank is going to be a handful for UQ. Those two bad injuries to the Bank for O'Connor and Taefu looked serious too.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
UP THE BaNK. What an amazing second half. GPS were very strong. Not impressed with the booing of our prop tho. Wasn't good

All the best to all teams in the finals across all grades

Both seany and Taefu are all good.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Premier: University (1) v Sunnybank (2)
Premier Colts: Sunnybank (2) v Brothers (3)
Premier Reserve: GPS (1) v University (2)
1st Grade: Logan City (1) v Souths (4)
2nd Grade: Norths (1) v GPS (4)
3rd Grade: University (1) v Souths (2)
4th Grade: Easts (1) v Souths (3)
Colts 1: Bond Uni (2) v University (1)
Colts 2: University (2) v Logan City (1)
Women: University (2) v Sunnybank (1)

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good representation of Clubs across all grades.

Obviously very happy with Souths having 3 teams in semi-finals and all three progressing to GF's.

Very good effort by Uni. to have 6 teams in GF's.

I would think that GPS would once AGAIN be disappointed with getting 9 teams to semi-finals but only two to GF's but congratulations to all teams that made the GF's in their grades and good luck next weekend.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Go our Colts1!! Always a challenge against Uni. In prems Sunnybank were immense in the second half yesterday, in particular the no8 and Liam Gill. What a turn around! To take it to Uni Sunnybank will need to sort out their halves. Probably their area of weakness besides lineout throws

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can't believe what happened yesterday. Couldn't make it to the game so watched the live stream and can't believe the final score.

I'm sure the GPS players and coaching staff will be shattered for letting that one slide. The big names, Frisby, Kerevi and Kuridrani all did their job in the first half and looked to be gaining momentum but it all came undone.

Also GPS Prem Colts knocked out of the finals after finishing the season as minor premiers. They actually finished the season with 7 straight losses which is unbelievable. Looks like they really missed Rodwell and Tuttle.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I would think that GPS would once AGAIN be disappointed with getting 9 teams to semi-finals but only two to GF's but congratulations to all teams that made the GF's in their grades and good luck next weekend.

The problem with having a high representation throughout the grades in the semi finals is that often they don't get the prize at the end, or even make it to the GF! Due obviously to opposition teams being bolstered by players who can drop down from higher teams which which didn't make the finals. It's a shame and makes you feel for the boys in those teams. Often makes the final not a fair representation of the season but it happens year in and year out to every club out there.

I cant see Sheeps beating Norths 2nd grade, my head says they'll take the silverware in reggies but my heart is of course with the Heavies.

There'll be some cracking games this weekend. I recommend heading down early and watching the women go at it Saturday morning, caught their game 2 weeks ago and it was mighty impressive. Very skillful and physical!

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sunnybank's 2nd half performance yesterday brought back great memories (I know some correspondents will say that at Souths we live in the past) of the 2nd half comeback by Souths in the 2000 GF vs Wests.

Down 30-3 right on halftime, Cam Northcott scored a try to make it 30-8, which sparked a 2nd half deluge of another 26 points to run out winners 34-30. Like Sunnybank, the injection of class players like Toutai Kefu and Mark Connors, lifted the rest of the team and Shane Drahm, revelled in running off the rampaging Kefu.

Great days but only memories now!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think University can sometimes go to sleep early in the second half. This was evident with the Brothers and Sunnybank games of weeks past. Both games University should have capitalised and finished the game off.

However, that's my only real negative. They're very strong.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sunnybank can't let Uni get early points - if they give up 20+ pts in the first half I'm betting Uni will go on to get the job done unlike GPS did.

I'm tipping a close game but with Uni to come out on top. Sunnybank may have already played their final by coming back from such a large margin and Uni will be fresh.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know is Harris will be playing for Uni this weekend???

Sunnybank will win by 8. I said they would win by 8 yesterday and I was nearly right.

They won't make the same mistake they did two years ago against Uni in the final... Will start and final strong. The whole team wants to hold up that trophy . Uni will be tough to beat but Sunnybank have it in them

swillo5

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting stat.... Since coming into premier grade in 1989 Sunnybank have met GPS In finals on (I think) 7 occasions. Sunnybank have knocked GPS out of the finals 7 times. That is GPS have never beaten sunnybank in a final. At least 3 of those (94, 12, 14) were heart breakers for GPS losing after leading handsomely. Just really interesting stat I thought. While GPS do have a history of underachieving in finals it seems to have been sunnybank that has inevitably been the team to bring them undone and often in similar circumstances to yesterday.

GPS often perform really well in the top grade in the preliminary rounds but rarely if ever perform in finals. And it's not just a recent phenomenon but goes back decades. Anyone got any ideas why that is?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Sunnybank's 2nd half performance yesterday brought back great memories (I know some correspondents will say that at Souths we live in the past) of the 2nd half comeback by Souths in the 2000 GF vs Wests.

Down 30-3 right on halftime, Cam Northcott scored a try to make it 30-8, which sparked a 2nd half deluge of another 26 points to run out winners 34-30. Like Sunnybank, the injection of class players like Toutai Kefu and Mark Connors, lifted the rest of the team and Shane Drahm, revelled in running off the rampaging Kefu.

Great days but only memories now!

The record books show that Souths have only made the GF once since that day (& didn't take the chocolates) so yes, living in the past!

Boog

Frank Row (1)
Go our Colts1!! Always a challenge against Uni. In prems Sunnybank were immense in the second half yesterday, in particular the no8 and Liam Gill. What a turn around! To take it to Uni Sunnybank will need to sort out their halves. Probably their area of weakness besides lineout throws

Considering the first half was a complete shocker from the Sunnybank side, and the concerning injury to O'Connor, the reserve half back obviously struggled, but surely McIntyre needs to be commended for his handling of more than his fair share of difficult passes from the half back. Even the crowd were impressed by McIntyre's hands, not one knock on or fumble despite being the receiver of some seriously average ball service. Anyone who was there would have to attest to this. Sunnybank came out in the second half a different side and we all know what happens when your forwards are going forward! Sunnybank will win if they can replay that second half.

Rugbyireland

Frank Row (1)
Hi there, Any premier players looking to travel overseas to play club rugby in Ireland for a year? Good package available for the right player. PM me for more details if interested?

T

Tigers Tale

Is McIntyre the best young #10 in QPR?

Others would clearly be:
Dagleish (spelling??) (Uni);
First (Snbk);
Tuttle (GPS);
Greene (Bros);

I think possibly in that order.

T

Tigers Tale

Just to get you all in the Grand Final mood have a look at this:-

Let's hope it is another great day on Sunday and that it is still in the balance in the 80th minute.

And I hope that Easts 4th grade can at least put one piece of Grand Final silverware in the trophy cabinet at the Den in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.