• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Going back a few years (2012) the first round wasn't until the last weekend in April when the weather was becoming much more accommodating. If the actual season ends up kicking off any earlier than March and there needs to be trials in January its going to be bloody hot!

Agreed, i would dare say there would be a fair few gentlemen's agreements surrounding drink breaks

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RWC a factor I guess? I wonder if the plan is to get the NRC done by the start of the RWC?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh most likely, didn't consider the RWC actually.

Surely they don't want to burn some of these club players out though. Guys in the Brisbane City NRC team could be playing for another 3 weeks. Finishing a semi-professional season in November and then only having 2-3 months off (during which time I imagine off-season training will be on) is a tough slog. I understand professional players can do it but for the others its a lot of a rugby being played.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Watching and playing rugby in the heat really isn't ideal. To be honest, its shithouse. But I understand the reasons behind it.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some Friday night premier grade in the early rounds would be nice for the players and a good spectacle.

Also on the Tongan Thor case. People saying he will play colts. Why would the reds sign a player to play him in colts. Him playing colts would be a waste of time in terms of his development. He would learn far more playing premier grade consistently week in week out

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Some Friday night premier grade in the early rounds would be nice for the players and a good spectacle.

Also on the Tongan Thor case. People saying he will play colts. Why would the reds sign a player to play him in colts. Him playing colts would be a waste of time in terms of his development. He would learn far more playing premier grade consistently week in week out

Bit of an exaggeration. Liam Gill and Paul Alo-Emile played both premier colts and premier grade during their first year out of school. The last thing they would want to do I put him in a situation where he is packing down against the likes of Wade & Faagase and getting towelled. Doesn’t do anything for his confidence nor his technique.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
rugbywatch, from all report the Reds haven't signed Tongan Thor to be packing down in S15 scrums until a few years down the track so why rush him through development? Has anyone on these forums even seen him pack a scrum? I'm sure the Reds have footage of it but for all we know it may be an area for improvement. I'm not sure if you have much experience in the front row but to ask someone to go from packing against 18yr olds to fully grown men is a pretty massive leap.

Maybe the Reds do intend to throw him straight into Prem Grade but I don't see why it would hurt easing him through the Prem Colts program first, from as little as a couple of games to a full season.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
rugbywatch, from all report the Reds haven't signed Tongan Thor to be packing down in S15 scrums until a few years down the track so why rush him through development? Has anyone on these forums even seen him pack a scrum? I'm sure the Reds have footage of it but for all we know it may be an area for improvement. I'm not sure if you have much experience in the front row but to ask someone to go from packing against 18yr olds to fully grown men is a pretty massive leap.

Maybe the Reds do intend to throw him straight into Prem Grade but I don't see why it would hurt easing him through the Prem Colts program first, from as little as a couple of games to a full season.

Totally agree Big Dog. Many years ago I went straight from Colts into the front row in 1st (as it was called then) grade now Premier Grade. When we played Brothers, the front row was the Wallabies and Qld. front row, the second row was one Wallaby and one Qld. and the back row was two Wallabies and one Qld. Certainly a massive learning curve as well as a new curve to my nose from one of the Filth. Give him some Premier Colts experience!!

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Totally agree Big Dog. Many years ago I went straight from Colts into the front row in 1st (as it was called then) grade now Premier Grade. When we played Brothers, the front row was the Wallabies and Qld. front row, the second row was one Wallaby and one Qld. and the back row was two Wallabies and one Qld. Certainly a massive learning curve as well as a new curve to my nose from one of the Filth. Give him some Premier Colts experience!!

God help those who have to face him in Colts, and have mercy on their souls.

wests junior

Frank Row (1)
None of the new Reds will go to Brothers, apparently.

Most will go to University, Thor etc.

Just from what I've heard from an up to date source.

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
None of the new Reds will go to Brothers, apparently.

Most will go to University, Thor etc.

Just from what I've heard from an up to date source.

**Uni supporters you will not like this post, so apologies in advance!

If what you said is true, and most new recruits go to Uni, It is an absolute joke! How could the QRU possibly let that happen. If Thor goes to Uni, he is up against Sef Faagase, Campbell Wakerly, Sam Cochrane, Pat Felapauai, Tonga Ma'afu, Ruben Lailua (who is apparantly coming back from injury) That is 6 Very good props, do the Uni coaches know you are only allowed 2 on the field at once?? I hope he enjoys playing Colts, OR, Uni obviously doesn't rate those other props who most clubs would love to have.

If the young 10 Duncan Paia'au goes there, he is up against James Dalgliesh who is in the City NRC team. Why would they want him? Do they think he is an ordinary player after having guided them to the title this year?

I must admit it annoys how Uni are seeming to want to recruit every player in the Competition. They have 4 Colts teams, so why do they need strip other clubs of players like they did last year with Wests, and are apparently trying to do to Norths. Don't these UQ Colts teams produce any players for the Senior teams? Secondly, why would a young colt go there knowing that they are just going to continue to recruit anyone with a decent Rugby CV over the top of them?

That young Thor should go to a club where he is going to play, and get good coaching. Bias aside, I think Matho would give him that at Brothers, having played Rep Footy himself. If it is not there, he should go to another club like Wests or Norths who need some quality in their front row.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree TB.

But, I'd love to see Brothers knock off University next year if that's the case.

I think Brothers have got some good things going at the club. and I think having one or two rep players coming back at the end of the year won't make a difference.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'll bite...
Of the grand final starting team only Mcduling (played at uni since moving north), porter (played 50+ games for uni) and Setu didn't come through the colts system.

Sammy Cochrane has retired, Wakley and Tonga (has he even confirmed that he is going to uni) are mainly hookers that can play prop, sef might be involved with the Reds and Rubén has been out for a whole season so who knows how he will come back.

Why shouldn't uni have a crack at Thor? Unlike O'conner and hunt he will actually play club footy. If he comes to uni his development will be well looked after with Scotty Allen in prems or if he plays colts cam Lillicrap usally takes scrums or reserve grade where Herman hunt is the scrum doctor. From the qru's persective isn't that the most important thing?

As for jimmy he is a great 10/12 who will hopefully be involved in the Aussie 20's program. With the earlier season all 20's player will play very minimal club footy I would imagine. So the 10 jersey could be up for grabs for most of 2015.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Red Heavy, Tonga is going.

On that, if the UQ colts system is so successful, why take key players from struggling clubs who cannot compete with your resources? What are Uni trying to achieve by doing this?

Why not delve into your successful colts system and develop your own? If you need a hooker... Look within, pick the best you have and develop them..... That's what the battling clubs have to do and have done so for years.

That is of course why you have a colts system isn't it?? Reward these players! After all they've played their junior rugby at another club..... So the least you could do is give them a shot?? (Tongue in cheek)

Proof is in the pudding as you mention above.... With only 3 players in the GF starting team to not come through your colts system. It obviously works so leave the other clubs alone.

Eg, a club like Norths, we have 2-3 players who could step up to the next level with the right opportunities, whereas Uni has plenty of players in this mould.

I just don't see how taking these players from other clubs is of any benefit to the game here in Brisbane, and Queensland.

The more quality players playing premier football ACROSS Brisbane will be the key to ensuring the success of the City and Country sides, as well as the Reds and of course the precious Wallabies.

At the moment, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the ABs will still win ;)

Anyway.... Just my four cents worth :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have never understood why people think not having a junior club is an advantage. If you use your junior club correctly it can be the the biggest and best recruiting tool you have. Try getting a kid that played all his juniors at
GPS or easts to pull on a different jersey and you will be fighting an up hill battle.

On recruiting... I don't think there has been a player in the premier squad at uni who hasn't been approached by another club for season 2015. Most of them have had several clubs.
And some players do go. Look at wests with Morseu, Caslick, Uebergang and wedlock all former uni players. Terrin walls over at brothers. Vili at gps.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
I have never understood why people think not having a junior club is an advantage. If you use your junior club correctly it can be the the biggest and best recruiting tool you have. Try getting a kid that played all his juniors at
GPS or easts to pull on a different jersey and you will be fighting an up hill battle.

On recruiting. I don't think there has been a player in the premier squad at uni who hasn't been approached by another club for season 2015. Most of them have had several clubs.
And some players do go. Look at wests with Morseu, Caslick, Uebergang and wedlock all former uni players. Terrin walls over at brothers. Vili at gps.

I must admit, I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Don't Uni have 2 feeder junior clubs in Taylor Bridge and Kenmore?? Saying that it is hard to get a kid to pull on your jersey?? How many Wests juniors have ended up at Uni? Also, it must be really hard for the 15 or so people Uni give 'scholarships' to every year, which they can get up to and around $15K for support. What a tough sell that must be, the kids would be mad not to go!! Implying that it is hard for uni to recruit Colts I think is bit rich, especially when they have a captive audience with students living and studying literally on their front door. If it is so hard, why do they have 4-5 colts teams a year.

Also, I understand what you are saying above in regards to senior player movement, but I think you have missed the point a little bit, on what the previous people have said. Uni have taken 'Premier Grade' players from other clubs, who are below them on the ladder. The players you mentioned who went to Wests, were not week in - week out Premier Grade players. Caslick had left and gone to the UK when Wests got him, Morseu had stopped playing rugby all together, Uebergang and Wedlock both would have been lucky to play 5 Premier Grades between them if at all. They went to Wests for an opportunity to play regular Premier Grade.

I like what Trainer GB said. In the current situation, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer. I think it is important that the QRU doesn't lose site on what makes the Brisbane Premier Grade comp great. Generally every year 1 of about 5 or 6 teams can legitimately win the comp. Generally 'on their day', most teams can beat everyone else. The worst thing that can happen is that 1 or 2 clubs monopolise the player market, and we end up in a situation like in NSW, where Sydney Uni have won Premiership after Premiership, and it is a contest for 2nd and 3rd place.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I posted something similar to this in last years colts thread that I think the QRU need to start getting involved more with the struggling clubs colts programs. After all, if you can get the players in at that level, more often than not you'll retain the majority to help build depth into the grades. This doesn't just apply to clubs like Wests and Norths, last year Easts had to pull their Colts 2 side out of the comp so it goes to show that some of these clubs being perceived as 'strong' are struggling at that level.

In 2014 the situation was about 200 players in Colts between UQ and GPS. Each of those teams fielded a team in Prem Colts, Colts 1 and Colts 2, with Uni having a Colts 2.2 and GPS probably should have done the same yet left it too late to make that decision. Clearly there was an excess of players at both clubs.

I think the QRU needs to establish some type of subsidy offer whereby clubs can liaise with each other about player numbers and if possible, give excess players the opportunity to play at a club in need of players for a reduced cost. I understand this solution isn't for everyone as players go to clubs to be with their mates, for geographical reasons etc etc there are plenty of reasons. However, if players are made aware there are other clubs where they'd most likely be starting week in week out, rather than be 1 in 100 blokes, they might be swayed to make a move. I'm not talking about the Prem Colt level guys obviously, rather the others who help add depth to a colts program.

Obviously the idea needs to be fine tuned as clubs giving away players means a loss to their fees so thats where I think the QRU need to be involved by providing some financial coverage to clubs who are trying to look after building a stronger Brisbane rugby competition.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry there had been a few remarks about uni not having a junior club earlier on and the matter was cleared up about uni actually having 2 but rather then rehashing the same argument I was just wanted to know what advantages uni are meant to gain out of perceivably not having junior club.

Uni is the largest senior club in Qld to my knowledge and arguably one of the more successful ones. We don't have much trouble in getting people to pull on the jerseys. My point was in reference to how well Easts and GPS run a one club mentality. From the moment they pull on jerseys as juniors they become tigers or gallopers for life or that is at least what it looks like from the outside. Something that every club has the ability to do with its juniors.

As for the scholarships they have been well covered on GAGR and there is a link somewhere about the actually number and value of them if you want to look them up rather than just exaggerate for effect.

With recruiting premier players... Sometime players come to you and want to join your club. Should clubs turn them away because they have had a few good seasons? What's the cut off? Can a 5th place club say yes? Is it ok if he only plays boarder line prems? I know its not ideal but how do you police it? If a player wants a change (like the boys that might head to Souths next year) it's pretty hard to stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.