• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps I have underrated GPS but my reasoning for placing Norths up and GPS down is the shift in talented Reserve Grade players that have left GPS for Norths. A lot of these players are Premier Grade standard

Who has left gps for norths? As of last week the only player I am aware of is Mitch Fuller, many of last year's reggies blokes have retired or are playing lower grades at GPS.

T

Tigers Tale

Isnt that only one less appearance than Easts in the same time period TT?

Hasnt stopped this forum talking the tigers chances in the past.

Indeed that is correct Red Heavy but there is one more premiership than our old south side foe in that time.

Souths have underachieved at Premier Grade level since the golden era with their last Premiership in 2000.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
nenenoah
So as far as you know wears have all the same players.?
Could you please name all the new off seasons signings to the club.?
An NPC recruit A previous qld premiere player of the year,
3 QCUP players from 2014 and more
Where do you get your facts champ.?
I think your sources are as good as the courier mail

Settle down kingy he never stated to be across all the player recruitment for all clubs. He simply said to his knowledge. Feel free to put up your own predictions.

I will take my beloved UQ out of mine and have a go.
1. Sunnybank
2. Gps
3. Brothers
4. Souths
5. Easts
6. Bond
7. Wests
8. Norths

No doubt I will be proved a fool with some of these.

In the last 5 seasons only 2 clubs (easts and stingrays with one appearance each) have managed to crack the strangle hold on the top 4 spots held by uni, GPS, brothers and the bank

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
I think UQ and Sunnybank have a stranglehold on the Top 2, and at the moment it would appear their title to lose.

I do however believe that positions 3 & 4 will be very closely contested this year, with most teams are chance. If teams like Souths, Bond, Wests and Norths can stay relatively injury free, they could cause some real issues.

Am looking forward to a good close comp this year :)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Can anyone from brothers confirm to me whether or not Ben Suisala will be returning to QLD after a stint in the NRC with the NSW Country Eagles?

Between Mafi, Suisala, Tupou, bennie and some of their colts form last year brothers could be posting some formidable frontrows

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Just hearing that James Tuttle (GPS/Reds 20's) copped a king hit in town over the weekend and has had his jaw wired up. I hope it is not too bad (if it is in case the fact - ?rumour) A big year of rugby ahead.

T

Tigers Tale

If the Tuttle story is correct it must be very upsetting for him because he had the world at his feet with Aust U20s etc.

That is just a very sad outcome for the kid, but from what I saw last year he's tough so he'll come back.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I personally think the Premier Rugby competition for 2015 will end up with the same top four in 2014. I can't see Easts doing much. Souths need a few more years along with Bond. Wests and Norths will upset a few teams. I can't really see Sunnybank or University losing their grip on the Top 2.

T

Tigers Tale

I personally think the Premier Rugby competition for 2015 will end up with the same top four in 2014. I can't see Easts doing much. Souths need a few more years along with Bond. Wests and Norths will upset a few teams. I can't really see Sunnybank or University losing their grip on the Top 2.

Filth as much as it pains me to say I think you are right.

I think u r underestimating the damage that GPS & Bros might do with the injection of youth into those squads.

It is going to be interesting to see how the wild cards - Souths, Bond, Norths, Wests - go.

I think there are some trials this weekend.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Had a look at GPS playing schedule last night. Due to the earlier season start and Yoku Rd also being home to Valley's Cricket Club it looks like all GPS teams will be playing the entire 1st round (except for one game) away from home. Not an ideal situation with a new coach and some new players who will need time to find their feet. It doesn't take many losses in the QPR comp and suddenly the top 4 looks very far away.

On the flip side, the 2nd round should be rather fun for supporters and teams a like with all the home games!

T

Tigers Tale

Had a look at GPS playing schedule last night. Due to the earlier season start and Yoku Rd also being home to Valley's Cricket Club it looks like all GPS teams will be playing the entire 1st round (except for one game) away from home. Not an ideal situation with a new coach and some new players who will need time to find their feet. It doesn't take many losses in the QPR comp and suddenly the top 4 looks very far away.

On the flip side, the 2nd round should be rather fun for supporters and teams a like with all the home games!

I appreciate why but I find this very strange. It may well be either a good or a bad thing for GPS.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Same thing happened in 2008 for GPS and it didn't work out so well for the club, they only won the Colts 2 premiership. I'd say it's more of a disadvantage.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, with your question about JOC (James O'Connor) playing #10 at Bros in the place of Greene for a game here and there will not eventuate. JOC (James O'Connor) will slot in elsewhere.

From reports Brothers are looking stronger this year. Matheson is a very good coach. I think we have a few new players down at Brothers this years.
We'll find out more when the season starts.

Any news from Uni?

T

Tigers Tale

TT, with your question about JOC (James O'Connor) playing #10 at Bros in the place of Greene for a game here and there will not eventuate. JOC (James O'Connor) will slot in elsewhere.

From reports Brothers are looking stronger this year. Matheson is a very good coach. I think we have a few new players down at Brothers this years.

Any news from Uni?

Filth you know I am only baiting you with any comment about Greenie.

I noted your comment about Easts not doing much this year

And

I have always thought Matheson's a great coach & bloke.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth my prediction re Uni is that Matt Randell will start the season in Reggie's.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Every single team in the club made the finals that year, with 6 featuring in Grand Finals. Whilst it's true that only Colts 2 won the Premiership - I think most clubs would regard that as a pretty successful year.

The fact still remains the club only ended up with 1 Premiership which is below the club average per year as of late.

Anyway, the point was more that the club and specifically Premier Grade are in an unfavorable situation with some new faces and not the ideal way to be playing the first round of the competition.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Any news from Uni?
Matho is a great coach.

I think the biggest problem facing uni is the transition after losing a lot of the older heads. None more so than Sam Cochrane, Tim Buchanan and Will Thompson.

These blokes have been huge for the club with 300+ games of premier footy, 9 premier premierships and over 25 years at the heavies between them. They all paid their dues in reggies and they are the last of the players (Except Tuffley) from the bad old days left at Uni.

That said plenty of talent impressing down at training and we will be giving Aus champs game our best effort.

Former reds and Aussie 7's player Andrew brown has taking over the backs and things are looking pretty good in that department. The forwards should be strong as always.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
First trial match for Northies is next friday at Shaw Road. Prems and Prem Colts will both be facing up against the CQ Brahmin, in a return match from last year. Should be a good night with some drinks afterwards to celebrate the start of the season. I thinks its really good that Norths are forming an opportunity with CQRU to give some of the country boys a chamce at the city teams and I hope its something that continues well into the future.

GAME TIMES

5:45 pm for Colts.

7:30 pm for Prems.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Matho is a great coach.

I think the biggest problem facing uni is the transition after losing a lot of the older heads. None more so than Sam Cochrane, Tim Buchanan and Will Thompson.

These blokes have been huge for the club with 300+ games of premier footy, 9 premier premierships and over 25 years at the heavies between them. They all paid their dues in reggies and they are the last of the players (Except Tuffley) from the bad old days left at Uni.

That said plenty of talent impressing down at training and we will be giving Aus champs game our best effort.

Forming reds and Aussie 7's player Andrew brown has taking over the backs and things are looking pretty good in that department. The forwards should be strong as always.
Have Thompson and Buchanan retired as well? Or gigs overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.