• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wouldn't be surprised if James O'Connor plays from Jeeps. I'm pretty sure he played under Dammers at Nudgee. This would create a formidable backline of;

9. Frisby 10. Tuttle 11. Kuridrani 12. A.Fainga'a 13. Kerevi 14/15 O'Connor

If you're going to include Reds may as well put them all in! Haha. It is a pretty good looking backline.

I still see JOC (James O'Connor)'s most likely destination being Brothers, I'd wager he'd have the most school/rugby mates still playing there and Matho is a good coach. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Bond is making a strong push to get him and KHunt as the faces of their revamped club.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, do you know anything about Sam Talakai being signed with the Reds?

I wouldn't be surprised if James O'Connor plays from Jeeps. I'm pretty sure he played under Dammers at Nudgee. This would create a formidable backline of;

9. Grasso 10. Tuttle 11. Kuridrani 12. Johnson 13. Kerevi 14/15 O'Connor
I haven't heard anything about Sammy's situation with the Reds, Filth, but if he stays north I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to play under Dammers.

It is also quite likely that some of the boys that Dammers brought south to play for Sydney Uni and have since returned home might choose to reunite with him.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) and Dammers got on that well at nudgee. Something about a player thinking he was bigger then the team.

Toddy is a great coach and will do well at GPS but his last foray into coaching in the Brisbane comp didn't go that well. In 2008 he took one of the most talented uni colts teams in almost a decade and had them knocked out in the first round of finals.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Jonno Lance, Ian Prior and Luke Morahan have all gone onto Super 15.
But I think there was 8 Aussie or Aussie A schoolboy players and I think all but 4 or 5 played QLD schools. But you would have to be a good follower of club/school rugby to remember them.
Aaron Chapman, Mitch Wade, Nick Seymore, Halley Appleby, Angus Leah, Bonny Falafitu, Matt Arvier, Jordan Chapman

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I haven't heard anything about Sammy's situation with the Reds, Filth, but if he stays north I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to play under Dammers.

It is also quite likely that some of the boys that Dammers brought south to play for Sydney Uni and have since returned home might choose to reunite with him.

Bruce, it wouldn't surprise me if Dammers picked up Talakai, Mafi and Sanday all ex students when Todd was coaching in Sydney and from memory a terrific scrummaging combination. Stefano Hunt has also returned to Brisbane and wouldn't surprise me to see him there with brother Stephen Hunt.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Both went to nudged but I don't think they have any relation.

Speaking of Craigie, how good was he in the gf this year. Fogs really got him going this year. Craig was happy just toiling away in first grade on the wing. Didn't ever want to stick around and bench for prems either. He is a really good kid with a nice family, hope he is keen to run around again next year.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pat Richards has been named director of rugby at easts, in a full time role according to their website. Sampson to be the new head coach. The busy off season continues. Have easts followed brothers and bond setting a trend with full time coaches/general managers/director of coaching?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find that model becoming more and more common at all clubs. GPS brought in Michael Cook as Coaching Director for 2014 (I presume he is staying on for next season as haven't heard other wise) and he essentially had roles in selections/advice/mediation for every team from Colts 2 to Prem Grade.

T

Tigers Tale

Bruce, it wouldn't surprise me if Dammers picked up Talakai, Mafi and Sanday all ex students when Todd was coaching in Sydney and from memory a terrific scrummaging combination. Stefano Hunt has also returned to Brisbane and wouldn't surprise me to see him there with brother Stephen Hunt.

Would be very surprised if Sanday left the Tigers. He was named best forward @ the Tigers for 2014, has a great relationship with Richards & Sampson(also his Qld A & Qld Country coach).

Richards has done a wonderful job as Prem grade coach at Tigerland but will be surprised if Sampson doesn't bring something a bit different in 2015 and has the Tigers right in contention for the 2015 Hospital Cup. He'll need to add to the depth particularly @ 10-15.

Sampson is very well respected at Easts and in Qld Rugby in general.

He is a champion bloke.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Random question, but can anyone recall a Hospital Cup Grand-Final played anywhere else apart from Ballymore?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I think you'll find that model becoming more and more common at all clubs. GPS brought in Michael Cook as Coaching Director for 2014 (I presume he is staying on for next season as haven't heard other wise) and he essentially had roles in selections/advice/mediation for every team from Colts 2 to Prem Grade.

I didn't know that about Cooky, that was a good move by Jeeps, he's a great man.

And the petrol expenses to and from training wouldn't have exceeded $10....

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Also talking to a few guys recently and although they may be disappointed about Fogs leaving, very few, if any at all will be following him.

Cookie did a great job this year and was only just warming into the position and building rapport with players and staff, should go well in 2015.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anyone reckon the Students will go back to back?

They are developing a pattern of always winning in even intervals. i.e. 2010, 2012, 2014. I think someone at UQ Rugby is numerically superstitious. Haha

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hope Brothers can have a real go next year, though I still think they're 2 years off, to be honest. 2016/2017. Then I think they'll be very strong, but we'll have to wait and see.

I predict GPS will be one of the finalists in 2015, unfortunately.

Bit unsure about your Tigers, TT. Unless you can somehow get all the new Reds recruits, Placid back from Melbourne and David Wilson donning the blue and gold again........ then you might be a shot.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone reckon the Students will go back to back?

They are developing a pattern of always winning in even intervals. i.e. 2010, 2012, 2014. I think someone at UQ Rugby is numerically superstitious. Haha

I don't think anyone will begrudge the 2011 non-Premiership year. It was amazing that Uni finished minor premiers that year, but my memories of that finals campaign (going out in straight sets) was that everyone just seemed exhausted.

I think there's something to the every 2nd year 'dynasty' - from what I can see there are only two teams to go back to back in the past 20 years: Canberra and Souths. My theory is the player turnover that accompanies a GF win + the players coming from Colts and pushing for selection => less experienced team heading into the next finals campaign.

A big loss for Uni in 2015 will be Sam Cochrane who has decided to put his family first and hang up the boots.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think describing Souths as "long term battling" is harsh. They aren't far off the pace at all.
  • Finished 4th in Doughty Shield
  • Won as many premierships as GPS (1) in 2014
  • Lost 9, but 3 of those losses were within 7 - if those narrow losses had been wins instead they would've ended on the same number of wins as GPS
  • Good depth in juniors & Colts
I think players not personally confirming a move might have something to do with the fact that it's September 2014, not March 2015. Until someone has paid rego all of the rumours are just that - rumours and speculation. As for what would motivate players to move: they like the coach/hate the new coach, they want to play with their mates (might have been playing 7s together in the off-season? might have been Souths juniors?), they want to be a part of building something, they like to be able to get strapped at the game rather than on their way to the game, they get to have those steak burgers at every home game, they see an opportunity to progress at the new club that they didn't see at the old club.

The reasons for staying and going are many and varied and not all of them are 'good' reasons. Even so, someone may commit to going and not like the atmosphere/distance to training/ lighting/ whatever about the new club and they'll just end up back at GPS next year.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
By that criteria GPS have been longer term battlers than Souths then - 1 GF appearance since the win in 1996.

And until 2010 Uni had appeared in one losing GF since 1992. The club prioritises the Doughty Shield, so I'm not convinced they'd see that long a drought for the top grade as a failure to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.