• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
4ba4d89dd1c5cc31c86f7c7b6231d16e.jpg

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Suggest reading again. This is not a Souths vs GPS comment, there is considerable noise around Piccone trying to bring players in from several clubs, something you're obviously not across. Trying loosening your bra strap & taking a breath.

1. You're fucking kidding me and your bra comment is way out of line.

2. The convo in this thread has centred around GPS players leaving for Souths but just as your post wasn't intended as GPS v Souths, my response was simply illustrating a problem with the phrase "long term battling" at the top level. I chose GPS because a) that was where the discussion had been and b) no one sees them as battlers but for some reason Souths is seen that way, even though history doesn't support that view.

I think you'd be genuinely shocked at what I am across; I don't need to listen to "noise" because the actual people involved talk to me. Thankfully the rugby world is full of men who have enough respect for women to engage with them on an equal and meaningful footing without resorting to pathetic gender-based personal insults.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I'm fairly certain I said "long term battling club at the top level". Is it 1 GF in 14 years? Confident most would suggest that is battling!

They haven't been 'far off the pace' as you say for some time now.

Would your prestigious University club be content with these results?

This is by no means a dig at the club, my comment was around the attraction, of which some you have detailed.[/quote
What souths is to a battling long term club ... GPS are to an underachieving club ... Choking in my wordss... LOL

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Use
Suggest reading again. This is not a Souths vs GPS comment, there is considerable noise around Piccone trying to bring players in from several clubs, something you're obviously not across. Trying loosening your bra strap & taking a breath.
Unless you know first hand I think you need to carm your farm.... Unless you think rumours and chat are gospel

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm sure a few clubs will focus on trying to recruit players from the Churchie 1st XV team (Undefeated Premiers) for next year. Anyone got any ideas?

I just hope no more of them consider League over Union.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm sure a few clubs will focus on trying to recruit players from the Churchie 1st XV team (Undefeated Premiers) for next year. Anyone got any ideas?

I just hope no more of them consider League over Union.

Reckon a fair few will go to Easts, a good number of them have been playing there all through juniors.

#15 Kalyn Ponga is already heading to Townsville next year to complete grade 12 because of his contract with the Cowboys and #12 Jayd'n Sua is an Australian League rep who doesn't look like he's going to be leaving any time soon.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was talking to a few of the guys who played in the Premiership wiNning Norths 2nd Grade team and sounds like Fogarty (who coached them at GPS) has already gotten into their ears about getting stuck into pre-season and having another crack at top grade for 2015. They probably don't turn the Eagles into a Premiership team but could form a solid nucleus of players who will be stronger than years gone past.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
Reckon a fair few will go to Easts, a good number of them have been playing there all through juniors.

#15 Kalyn Ponga is already heading to Townsville next year to complete grade 12 because of his contract with the Cowboys and #12 Jayd'n Sua is an Australian League rep who doesn't look like he's going to be leaving any time soon.

Richie Asiata #1 is a Sunnybank junior & looks to be heading there.Izaia Perese #13 is rumoured to be heading to Easts & I imagine will be slotting to straight into Premier Grade.Josh Webb #2 & Liam Wright #7 look likely to head to Uni.Harry Nucifora #9 is an Easts junior but with the whole family moving to the GC where Gary Nucifora will be Director of Sport at Bond you'd imagine Harry will play for Bond.Angus Scott-Young #5 looks likely to be dux at Churchie & has academic opportunities from.Sydney Uni,UQ & Bond.Harley Fox #8 & Jeremy Gimpel #4 are chased by a few clubs & Mac Mason #10 is signed up to the Storm.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Was talking to a few of the guys who played in the Premiership wiNning Norths 2nd Grade team and sounds like Fogarty (who coached them at GPS) has already gotten into their ears about getting stuck into pre-season and having another crack at top grade for 2015. They probably don't turn the Eagles into a Premiership team but could form a solid nucleus of players who will be stronger than years gone past.

I doubt any will want to take the step up. In all honesty, most of those guys aren't premier grade standard anymore. I think as a club, they should just invest in guys like Garrath Ryan etc and hopefully Fogarty provides the team with a better template for success...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I doubt any will want to take the step up. In all honesty, most of those guys aren't premier grade standard anymore. I think as a club, they should just invest in guys like Garrath Ryan etc and hopefully Fogarty provides the team with a better template for success.

Strelow and Stowers could probably still be handy in premier grade. Not sure if they would be motivated enough though.

I agree though that Fogarty should be focusing on those younger guys, there isn't much point just building for the short term, especially considering Norths are probably going to be a club who need another two or so years before they become premiership contenders with their current stock.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Not to be a wet blanket but Strelow and Stowers are a LONG way from where they were a few years ago. I hear Stowers wants to make a comeback but he'd have a hard time cracking it with some of the young guys running around at Norths. Anyway, if they do want to have a crack, good luck to them. Older blokes are one part of the puzzle that Norths are missing in comparison to others (ie the mentoring etc).

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
I agree though that Fogarty should be focusing on those younger guys, there isn't much point just building for the short term, especially considering Norths are probably going to be a club who need another two or so years before they become premiership contenders with their current stock.

I was talking to someone at Norths when I went out and watched a game, and they said the average age of Norths Prems team was 22. That is very young compared to some others and with only 3 players over 25, if the club can hold onto these young players and hopefully have found a long term coach in fogarty, Norths could be a team to watch in 2-3 years. Having a bully like Stowers in there forward pack and who knows what they could do.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
eagle I'm on your side but I think the point is also that a player like Stowers would need to put in a lot of effort to get to premier standard again. He isn't past it but putting big hits on and busting tackles in 2nd grade is pretty much a given for a bloke who was playing premier grade only a couple of years ago. He'll need to increase his work rate and get back to peak fitness.

Will be interesting whether a new coach might bring Evan La Motta back as well, not sure what happened with him but he'd be a handy guy to have back playing assuming he didn't retire due to an ongoing injury. I think the bloke is only about 24 years old.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was talking to someone at Norths when I went out and watched a game, and they said the average age of Norths Prems team was 22. That is very young compared to some others and with only 3 players over 25, if the club can hold onto these young players and hopefully have found a long term coach in fogarty, Norths could be a team to watch in 2-3 years. Having a bully like Stowers in there forward pack and who knows what they could do.

That's pretty standard in Brisbane Premier. Brothers are probably the only club where players stick around long term. If a guys 23 and isn't where he wants to be he is pretty much done. Hopefully the NRC will be the carrot for more guys to play into their late 20's across all clubs.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
If you think Ray Stowers is either past it or would struggle to crack it, you either don't know rugby or didn't see him play this year. He is exactly what their prems need, he's a Samoan international after all. The guys they had playing 8 this year just weren't up to it, no penetration and incapable of intimidating opposite numbers. Some of the hits stowers put on this season would suggest he is far from past it. Some experienced players around the core from this year will be the key to a revival.

I must admit that I didn't watch Ray play too much this year but in the times I saw him he looked overweight - granted he smashed a few guys but like TBD said, thats to be expected. Ex-Test player or not and I repeat, he is a LONG way from that.

Also, i'll retract it if I said it but i never mentioned he was past it ..but I am certain he is not the future of the club at No.8 or openside. Allow guys like Matt Ika, Alex Perez and/or Evan La Motta drag the club back into prosperity.

So relax on the butthurt mate, I wasn't having a crack at the bloke personally.

...and I do watch a lot of club rugby too, do you?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
We've spoken a lot about the coaching changes for 2015 and how they might affect the Premier rugby landscape but its only just dawned on me recently that the NRC might cause a few headaches as well. With the new competition in place (and hopefully sticking around) it may mean clubs need to take a more 'professional' approach to retaining their Premier grade players.

Is it allowable in QRU rules for players to sign to a club for multiple seasons? Imagine if a club gets 6-7 blokes picked in the NRC and then watches as other clubs sign them up for the following year. I'm not talking about anything dodgy here but say for example (and this is totally fictitious) that Campbell Magnay has enjoyed playing with Matt Brandon, Easts are made aware of this and make a big push to get him to the Tigers the following year. Or say Tonga Maafu feels he learnt a lot from Holmes and Hirsimaki and wants to move to Sunnybank where he thinks he'll develop more. Those are big losses to clubs who were developing those players.

I wonder if clubs will be looking at ways to protect their players so to speak.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to hear why GPS reserve graders would go play subbies? Surely a move to another premier club (maybe following their former coach) would be a better option. That's no disrespect to EP. GPS reggies were very experienced players and would be an asset to any premier club.

On the topic of norths, Evan la Motta is done with rugby, he's had too many head knocks apparently. Perez isn't a club man apparently and rumour has it a bit more depth and he'd have been lucky to hold his spot. Ika was a great addition to the team, so there is merit in investing in him. In a competition that has lost a lot of old school hard forwards, I think experienced players coming back like Stowers (fully fit) would cause teams lots of problems. I think a few familiar faces may be returning to shaw road next year.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Perhaps we should reconsider and remain this forum to "GPS Gallopers 2015"?

Tigers Tale can you get us back on track, maybe with something provocative?

But carry on Jeeps supporters, nothing really occurring elsewhere. Haven't heard any news out of Brothers, pretty much the same as last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.