• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Gee what's the record numbers for a UQ Rugby Breakfast?

I think it will be safe with Pulver speaking!!!

I hear that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Michael Hooper may have been rather close to the KB (Kurtley Beale) affair, which just adds to the bad look Hooper gave at that first press conference with Cheika - smiling & grinning like a kid. Successful teams have strong leaders - Wallaby examples - Slack, Farr-Jones, Eales - and unfortunately Michael Hooper is not your man but do you really think they will take the captaincy off him with Cheika at the helm?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Haha yeah maybe not the biggest crowd puller we have ever had but considering that the rugby landscape in Australia has finally changed with him at the helm it should at least be interesting. Things like the nrc (The good) and the possible death of country rugby under the new fee structure system (The bad) and the Ewan fiasco (the ugly) will all be parts of his legacy I will be interested to hear his take on it if he offers it.

T

Tigers Tale

Hope you get a big roll up to the breakfast Red Heavy - you'll need the fund raising $ to pay all the ARU team levies!!!

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Aaron Pleash was Captain of the North side during the first trial & has reportedly been very impressive. Phil Potgieter captained the UQ Prem Colts team & would be in with a chance & Gunny would be the other obvious candidate. While I'm sure Gilly will pick his own Captain, Carozza typically likes to pick players in their final year of U20's over first year U20's players. Based on this, I'd be surprised if Tuttle was selected as Captain.
Thor is not eligible for selection as it's essentially a trial team for Aus selection.

Thor would be eligible for Under 20 just not Wallabies til qualified..

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Foreign players with no Aussie parents or grandparents have to be registered in Australia for 3 years before they are eligible to play for Australia in any capacity. If, at any point in that 3 years, they register with a foreign union for any period (say, 3 months for NPC, 6 days so they're covered for a 7s tournament but then they don't switch back their registration until they return to Super Rugby training - Henry Speight) that 3 months gets added to the 3yr period. Permanent residency or citizenship is a secondary matter and not related at all. Thor would be eligible to play for Qld Reds, but he'd count as one of their foreign players until 3 years from the date he signed his registration form.

The confusion may come in for those who have played for, say, Fiji or NZ in U20s (Kuridrani, Rasolea, Harris) and whether they can play for Australia. Each home union gets to choose their two top teams - it can be their XVs and 7s team (almost always) or they can make it their U20s and their XVs/7s. If that player has played for one of the two nominated teams, they are no longer eligible to play for any other country.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Foreign players with no Aussie parents or grandparents have to be registered in Australia for 3 years before they are eligible to play for Australia in any capacity. If, at any point in that 3 years, they register with a foreign union for any period (say, 3 months for NPC, 6 days so they're covered for a 7s tournament but then they don't switch back their registration until they return to Super Rugby training - Henry Speight) that 3 months gets added to the 3yr period. Permanent residency or citizenship is a secondary matter and not related at all. Thor would be eligible to play for Qld Reds, but he'd count as one of their foreign players until 3 years from the date he signed his registration form.

The confusion may come in for those who have played for, say, Fiji or NZ in U20s (Kuridrani, Rasolea, Harris) and whether they can play for Australia. Each home union gets to choose their two top teams - it can be their XVs and 7s team (almost always) or they can make it their U20s and their XVs/7s. If that player has played for one of the two nominated teams, they are no longer eligible to play for any other country.

Thanks for that

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
No worries at all.

On the Queensland U20s the eligibility thing is blurry - there's nothing that forbids him from playing, but I think it depends on the purpose of the U20s comp. My understanding is that the primary function of the U20s comp is around the selection and preparation of the JWC squad. Thor would be technically eligible, but since he can't be a part of the JWC squad there really isn't any point.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone at Souths know whats happening with Samu Kerevi? I was under the impression he had gone to the nest with Buzz but he was present and helping out at GPS training last night.

Not happening. Kerevi will remain at Yoku in 2015.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
legaleagle I'm not so sure the numbers are down, but lots of players are going to be unavailable for large portions of the season or have moved on. For example Kite has moved interstate and Kerevi, Magnay and Tuttle are all involved with representative teams for the start of the season. Fred Burke is injured for a couple of weeks and Nate Nicol has gone to coach at Souths which leaves the front row stocks short, for the time being.

If your comment about the coaches is directed at GPS (can't tell as you mention UQ in the previous sentence) then I would say all those issues have been moved past and from memory no players actually left the club when the lower grades coaches were moved on. Unless you count the Slades heading to Norths but there had been talk about that happening for a while.

Yes many guys have moved on but GPS have secured some big names to take their places. If Burke is out for a couple of weeks and Kite has moved on, (which has been confirmed) I think the acquisition of Kaitu'u and Talakai are pretty handy pick ups in that department. I've also heard of guys like Waita Setu and Kimami Sitauti also making the move to Yoku as well among a few others which is a definite sign of the changing of the guard down at Yoku.

I cant see Kerevi playing too much club footy this year but with Sam Johnson still on the books as well as Magnay and Kimami to fill that centre void if there is an issue in the centres. GPS will be ok.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's OK, there was no Frisby, A Fainga'a, S Fainga'a, Magnay or Tuttle in that photo either but they are still at GPS, Kuridrani will be in the Green and Blue in 2015.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Not bad front row stocks down Yoku then and a pretty handy forward pack on the cards.

Sikimeti, Talakai, Freney, Burke.

Can anyone confirm if Jack Straker still plays?? He was quite a handy young front rower as well.

if he does that's four quality props with Freney at hooker but who would be his back up?

In any case most prem teams would take those kind of stocks in a heart beat

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
I spoke to straker the other day and I believe he's heading O/S to play? As for Sikimeti I think he's moved on as well? Is Dave Howard or Josh pszczonka still playing at GPS ?

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Prop and hooker stocks are looking pretty thin beyond our starting front row. Only second week in so a few more faces should begin popping up over the coming weeks.

Dammers has a very different coaching approach to Arnie, I look forward to seeing how it pays off on the paddock. Not long now until we can enjoy some rugby again!

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Prop and hooker stocks are looking pretty thin beyond our starting front row. Only second week in so a few more faces should begin popping up over the coming weeks.

Dammers has a very different coaching approach to Arnie, I look forward to seeing how it pays off on the paddock. Not long now until we can enjoy some rugby again!

Maybe Randall would have benefited more from a move to Jeeps?

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
I spoke to straker the other day and I believe he's heading O/S to play? As for Sikimeti I think he's moved on as well? Is Dave Howard or Josh pszczonka still playing at GPS ?

I heard rumours of freney to souths and Sikimeti to Norths. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Status
Not open for further replies.