• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
White was solid before getting injured & well outplayed Beveridge but Quirk was very average for a seasoned S15 player (past tense).
I had this discussion today, that Quirk is not having the involvement you want from a S15 player. Apparently his knee is still not 100%, but that might just be chinese whispers.

But still, he needs to get his hands on the pill more and impose himself on other teams.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers managed to do an 'Easts' today by winning on the bell due to an outstanding try by Sam Greene. Greene was instrumental in the Brethren's win today.

Brothers forwards, in particular Beauchamp, Symes, Sayer, Hyne and Criff were excellent in defence. Whilst Paddy James, Felsman and Fitzgerald were also solid in the backline. But as alluded before, Greene was Brothers best performer.

Easts are a very good side. They're easily the toughest team to beat this season from what I've seen. White and Gordon were particular standouts, especially in attack. In all honest, however, Easts' positional kicking was atrocious and is one of the reasons why Brothers won. The Tigers had at least two or three missed opportunities through penalty kicks not even reaching the sideline.

I have to say I disagree, T12. I've watched all of Tupou's games this year and he is definitely a standout. If you watch some of his highlights, especially his running game, the bloke is a real talent - hence the reason why three different codes were after him. Today Easts' put a lot of time and effort ensuring that his metre gain was minimal and they succeeded to an extent. However, Easts focusing their attention on Tupou created opportunities for Brothers to exploit their defensive line through other attacking options.

On the other hand, today was probably the first time you've watched him play and he definitely wasn't at his best, so I do understand were you're coming from.

All in all, an enjoyable day down at Bottemley. Whether the games is at Albion or Norman Park, there is always going to be a massive crowd. I would roughly estimate a turnout of between 4000-5000 which is great to see for club rugby.

Brothers take on University next week. Another tough challenge for the Brethren as Uni are still the benchmark team in QPR.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Any reports on other games?
- GPS out the cue in the rack at half time 30-0
- Uni came away with a dominant performance
- Bond were too good for the Norths outfit

mate

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tiger Tale how about that Swandive, apparently Greene got a phonecall under the sticks, it was air traffic control asking him to get out their airspace.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On behalf of Brothers supporters, please reign it in "mate", it is a nice change Easts being the focus of the ill will....
Re Tupou, Good shots put on both ways, he was never belted, but was met and driven back repeatedly, he also bounced a fair few off. Greene's 2 tries were ridiculous.

Heretowatch

Frank Row (1)
Agree Beer Baron.

It was a great afternoon of rugby & Easts put on a good day with the faithful on the sideline adding to the grand final feel created by the players in the middle. Both sides will walk away knowing they can play better but the tough & fast games produce errors.

The win in the last minutes of the game showed the character of this young Brothers side but I wonder how much more their character can be tested. To my knowledge they have lost "Big Red", Francois Postal, Mafi, Adam Benny, Freney, Knoxy, & Sam Hyne for the season & now it looks like they will be without their hard working captain in Gendle with early reports of a broken ankle. There is still depth in the club but it is being strained & is taking its toll on what has been a great Prem Reserve side this year.

T

Tigers Tale

Well done Brothers and Sam Greene - it was very much a case of a complete reversal of the Anzac Day clash with Greene stealing it at the death.

Greene is undoubtedly the most improved player in the competition - the issue is whether he is now ahead of McIntyre in the Reds #10 pecking order?

If he pilots Brothers to a premiership then maybe he will be considered ahead of McIntyre and if so does he get the Bne City #10 and McIntyre the QC (Quade Cooper)#10?

Greene of course was originally selected in QC (Quade Cooper) last year but ended the NRC as part of the BC squad.

What that says about how the two Qld NRC squads are selected I don't know.

Hopefully the Bros v Uni game can take the hype this week as the Snbk v Easts Welsby Cup game can fly under the radar and although Easts missed a golden opportunity to secure the minor premiership yesterday if results go their way next weekend they could leave Oldmac with not only the Welsby Cup but also the minor premiership.

It would be eerily a bit like GPS in 2013 when I think in the second last/last round they managed to beat Sunnybank at Yoku Rd to secure the double (Welsby/Minor Prem), I just hope the Tigers 2015 story comes up with a different ending but one thing is for sure and that is that Brothers are the real deal and will have a big say in the Hospital Cup of 2015.

The other thing is that I wouldn't write off the Tigers just yet because with competitive and experienced campaigners like Sanday, Riley, Quirk, Mullins, Brandon & Wilder they will fight back from yesterday's loss.

Anyhow - well done Brothers until we meet again.

T

Tigers Tale

After Round 16:

Team; Points; Max final points; Rnd 17; Rnd 18

Easts; 58; 68; SNBK; BOND;
Bros; 54; 64; uni; SOUTHS;
Uni; 49; 59; BROS; snbk;
Snbk; 44; 54; easts; UNI;
Souths; 40; 50; WESTS; bros

Easts need 2 more points to be assured a Major spot and 7 to be assured the minor premiership;
Bros need 6 more points to be assured a Major spot and could be minor premiers if Easts finish with one further loss and Bros finish win - win;
Uni need 2 more points to be assured a top 4 spot but could even make the major semi if they finish win-win;
Snbk need 8/7 more points to be assured a top 4 spot or maybe less if Souths drop one of their last 2 games;
Souths will need to win two or one of their last two and death ride Snbk in their last two.

If any side is flying under the radar at present it is Uni and they will provide a stern test for the Filth next week. I'll be cheering for Uni in that one.

I think the make up of the final 4 has come down to 3 axes:
- Easts or Bros minor premiers?
- Easts, Bros or Uni in the major semi?
- Snbk or Souths to get 4th?

It might be that the Snbk v Easts/Uni games are the most important results for Souths over the next two weeks - they just have to secure two wins.

Some great rugby ahead over the next 5 weeks. The cream will rise to the top but it is anyone's premiership at this point in time.

T

Tigers Tale

Spot on Reg - original 2014 QC (Quade Cooper) squad below - did not include Greene, but he certainly spent time with both squads initially with QC (Quade Cooper) and then I think he got one cap (off the bench) for BC late in the NRC (I think the Canberra game at Suncorp).

Interesting that Tuttle was selected ahead of him in this initial squad last year.

Qld Country side captained by Anthony Fainga'a

HALFBACKS
Scott Gale Reds WTS/University of Queensland
Sam Grasso GPS
FLYHALVES
Mike Harris Reds/University of Queensland
James Tuttle GPS
CENTRES
Anthony Fainga’a Reds/GPS
Sam Johnson Reds WTS/GPS
Clynton Knox Brothers
Campbell Magnay GPS
Uarotafu Setu University of Queensland
OUTSIDE BACKS
Giles Beveridge Brothers
Pierce Fitzgerald Brothers
Ben Lucas Reds/Sunnybank
Tom Pincus University of Queensland
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi Reds/University of Queensland
Todd Winkley GPS

B.Baxter

Frank Row (1)
Let's hope common sense prevails and Tuttle and Magnay are playing the Colts season out. Magnay needs the game time and no use putting Tuttle in a Prem side that won't be playing finals.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Let's hope common sense prevails and Tuttle and Magnay are playing the Colts season out. Magnay needs the game time and no use putting Tuttle in a Prem side that won't be playing finals.
I think the Reds will be dictating who they play for. Your view is the most logical for GPS, however leading into the NRC, the Reds would be of the view that they need to be playing a higher level.

Brad Wilkin is in the same boat. Easts have depth in the backrow, especially with Gunn due back, so logic would say he would have the greatest impact for Easts Premier Colts going into finals.

It will be interesting. Maybe they'll play Colts and then come off the bench for Premier? Although I doubt the Reds will let that happen.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I believe both are now on full Reds contracts & are consequently ineligible for Colts?

LIKEATIGER

Stan Wickham (3)
No that is incorrect, all are free to play Colts. I just hope in its sometimes misguided "wisdom" the QRU doesn't hold them back for NRC. My vote is let them play colts. Easts could sure use Wilkin. Why not make the Colts comp as good as it can possibly be.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was great to watch GPS get the win yesterday. It was definitely the best game Nick Frisby has played in the last few years (at any level) and he was really the difference maker, great to see him playing a full game in his preferred position.

Its likely GPS will manage to finish the year with a few wins on the trot if they put in similar performances, just a shame it came too late. Hopefully some plans are already being put in place to build this momentum for next year.

T

Tigers Tale

I hear that its unlikely that Brad Wilkin will take part in any club/NRC rugby this year due to re-injuring the shoulder he had reconstructed at the beginning of 2014.

It is a real shame for him - lets hope he gets it right because 2016 could be a big year for him.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Tupou was belted all around the park, both at scrums and with the ball in hand. There were some massive shots put on him, with Toby White's in particular standing out. He really isn't up to the hype, yes I'm aware he's young, so maybe in time, but he was dominated today.

He was nullified well yesterday with some topline defence from Easts, however he still nearly scored the game winner breaking 3 or 4 tackles on the way to the line... tried to push a pass when I think he would've ended up over anyway. Easts scrum is 1st class, at one point had Brothers going backwards into the stands. Easts won a penalty off a scrum 5m out and went for another...to Tupou's credit he won a penalty for Brothers on that next scrum. Given he's only 18, I'd say he's pretty damn good.

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog congrats to GPS.

With a Bond(A) & Norths(H) finish on yesterday's form you would have to think that you will win both of those fixtures, and that might mean you finish in 6th ahead of Bond.

As for Frisby - he played a number of games for GPS @ #9 at the end of 2103 & 2014 and he started at #9 for most of BC NRC games last year. I think Frisby is a very talented footballer but when he plays #9 for GPS & Bne City I think he tries to create too much from #9 and is this going to stack up when he brings that game to S15 next year. Does he need to dumb his game down a bit to succeed at S15 level - this is not a criticism of Frisby I am just throwing it out there to see what your/others thoughts are.

Could Frisby & Greene be the starting Reds halves in Round 1 of S15 2016? They would probably be the quickest set of halves in S15.

Status
Not open for further replies.