• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
This may end in tears, but hopefully not.

Anyone able to set aside tribal club loyalties and keen to nominate their QPR 2015 Merit Team of the Year?
Requirement: Must have played at least 7 games in QPR.

I'll be the sacrifiical lamb and have a go:

1. AJ Campbell (Easts) (might be a THP?)
2. Alex Mafi (Bond)
3. Taniela Tupou (Brothers)
4. Ben Hyne (Brothers)
5. James Moore (Easts)
6. Tom Milosevic (Easts)
7. Kristian Satui (Norths)
8. Josh Fuimaono (Bond)
9. Scott Malolua (Souths)
10. Sam Greene (Brothers)
11. Mika Tela (Souths)
12. Matt Gordon (Easts)
13. Tyrone Lefau (Wests)
14. Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
15. Elliot Hagen (Easts)

That is not easy. Plenty of players I'm forgetting plus plenty who could've taken spots in that team. This is purely based on the games I watched this year and giving the lower ranked teams credit where credit is due.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
RW whilst I would like some Bulldog presence in the Frontrow - Campbell (who is a LHP) & the Thor deserve their spots.

I think this side is a good cross sectional team - South probably deserve a few more but I appreciate that it is tough getting representation across the board.

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Sione Na'a Helu (Wests)
2. Alex Mafi (Bond)
3. Sham Vui (UQ)
4. Ben Hyne (Brothers)
5. Dan Gorman (GPS)
6. Brendan Mitchell (Sunnybank)
7. Simana Halaifonua (Souths)
8. Jack Cornelson (UQ)
11. Mika Tela (Souths)
12. Matt Gordon (Easts)
13. Tyrone Lefau (Wests)
14. Stefan Van Der Walt (Souths)
15. Elliott Hagen (Easts)

Would have loved to put the thor in there but he needs another season learning how to scrum against men because he struggled at scrum time. Really impressed with the young prop out of UQ Sham Vui he can scrum and is very handy around the park. Still surprised Helu and Lefau from Wests didn't get at least a wider training spot along with Halaifonua and Malolua from Souths. Brendan Mitchell is the Sunnybank go to guy at lineouts and also has a high work rate around the park. Would have loved to put more GPS boys in there but lets be honest we were terrible to watch this year.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
Can anyone from Sylan Road (or Crosby Road) confirm that Tim Smith has left the doggies to join the Filth? That would be a huge loss if this was true.

NoExit

Frank Row (1)
I'll be the sacrifiical lamb and have a go:

1. AJ Campbell (Easts) (might be a THP?)
2. Alex Mafi (Bond)
3. Taniela Tupou (Brothers)
4. Ben Hyne (Brothers)
5. James Moore (Easts)
6. Tom Milosevic (Easts)
7. Kristian Satui (Norths)
8. Josh Fuimaono (Bond)
11. Mika Tela (Souths)
12. Matt Gordon (Easts)
13. Tyrone Lefau (Wests)
15. Elliot Hagen (Easts)

That is not easy. Plenty of players I'm forgetting plus plenty who could've taken spots in that team. This is purely based on the games I watched this year and giving the lower ranked teams credit where credit is due.

Agree this is not an easy task to pick a 15 but here goes.

1. Marcus Vanzati (Souths)
2. Alex Mafi (Bond)
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Ben Hyne (Brothers)
5. James Moore (Easts)
6. Jack Cornelson (UQ)
7. Simana Halaifonua (Souths)
8. Josh Fuimaono (Bond)
11. Mika Tela (Souths)
12. Paul Brown (Souths)
13. Tyrone Lefau (Wests)
15. Junior Laloifi (SSunnybank)

So many quality players to pick from. Interested to see who others have picked.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Wouldn’t surprise me steve doublesteve.

History usually dictates that anyone who is a rising star will leave us…so it wouldn’t surprise me if the rugby gods continued to punish us bulldogs.

Our club has been pretty unlucky ever since the 2008 AGM, when the club voted to cash in all our cosmic goodwill to the Devil. In exchange Stan Pilecki received the ability to withstand amounts of nicotine that would kill the average rhinoceros.

...It seemed like a good move at the time

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't confirm on your mail about Tim Smith "Steve DoubleSteve"

I heard murmurs he was going to Brothers last year. But once he turned up to Wests Preseason this year well that was put to bed.

I don't see why Tim Smith will end up in Butchers Stripes TBH. One of his better skills is his goal kicking... Does he really want to be the back up goal kicker behind Sammy Greene?

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
I can almost certainly say that he will not be in Wests colours next year.
I see him going to brothers or Easts myself.

Asa

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know the best place i can post a Rugby Highlight Video Reel for one of Queensland most newest, player's, Tyrone Lefau? (West Bulldogs Centre) We're new here to Queensland and still trying to learn the rugby ropes here. Thanks in advance guys. :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what's his background? Can you tell us a bit about him? He caught the eye this year and most of us were surprised he didn't get an NRC spot.

I think a few of us thought he was a kiwi, but I think he was born in Australia, correct?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can almost certainly say that he will not be in Wests colours next year.
I see him going to brothers or Easts myself.

I don't know whether which would be worse, but why would he head to Easts with Mullins their skipper & #9 and Brandon kicking goals. At least if he went to Bros he'd get a start at #9 even if he wasn't kicking goals. Further if Greene is in the Reds game day squad he'd still have a bit of goal kicking to do. Easts also have Pilz.

Asa

Bob McCowan (2)
what's his background? Can you tell us a bit about him? He caught the eye this year and most of us were surprised he didn't get an NRC spot.

I think a few of us thought he was a kiwi, but I think he was born in Australia, correct?

Yes that's correct. Australian born, Samoan boy raised in New Zealand with Rugby League, switched codes in his late high school year's under Tai Lavea's 1st fifteen 1A Schools, champion squad. Finished high school in 2009, signed to Counties Manukau Steelers in 2011, moved to Queensland beginning of this year, making his QPR debut with West. :)

I think its good he didn't get picked this year, he's got a lot to learn about Australian Rugby, we're both proud to call this humble state our new home. :)

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes that's correct. Australian born, Samoan boy raised in New Zealand with Rugby League, switched codes in his late high school year's under Tai Lavea's 1st fifteen 1A Schools, champion squad. Finished high school in 2009, signed to Counties Manukau Steelers in 2011, moved to Queensland beginning of this year, making his QPR debut with West. :)

I think its good he didn't get picked this year, he's got a lot to learn about Australian Rugby, we're both proud to call this humble state our new home. :)

Thats a great attitude to have.

We are lucky to have a guy of his caliber in our club competition. He was by far my favorite player to watch and very unlucky not to get picked. I hope the selectors next year actually watch every club game to ensure someone of his talent doesnt get overlooked because I believe he is of Super Rugby standard. He reminds me of Samu Kerevi back in 2013 running around in club rugby.

Asa

Bob McCowan (2)
He's usually a try scoring machine, but every club West played this year, herd and knew what Tyrone had to offer so they all worked extra hard to shut him down early. Im so excited to see what 2016 has in store for him, he's after that Red's Jersey. ;) (Plus he had to adjust to the Australian heat for 80 minutes) lol :)

Asa

Bob McCowan (2)
^^Will he be in the Wests jersey next year? Or will he be moving to another premier grade club?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm 100% sure he'll be a Bulldog again next year. Im about to release his Rugby Highlight Reel, circumstances may change, they may not. He defiantly has no other reason to change clubs atm. :) He's made a few friends with some of the boy's in all grade's, i know he'll hate to start again too. Lol.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking like its gonna be another tough year down at Yoku Rd next year. Quiet whispers Kuridrani, Kerevi and Freney will be making the move the nest next year.

If the rumours prove true will be hard to attract established talent to the club. As players with so much influence at the club hopefully it doesn't start off a wave of others leaving Yoku.

Status
Not open for further replies.