• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree Dyson. Wests should of had at least one more player in the NRC.

QPR has many talented front-rowers coming through the ranks. It's actually a very good sign for Queensland Rugby.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
QPR has many talented front-rowers coming through the ranks. It's actually a very good sign for Queensland Rugby.
Actually Filth, recent history shows that many standout QPR players will play out their Super Rugby careers anywhere BUT in Queensland! Sadly ....

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
[quote="

A few years back Souths prem colts won for the first time in about a decade. The coaches came from Easts or Wests (can't remember which exactly) and got the flick after one year. The club the appointed a string of club legends to the role, many of whom who had no coaching experience and as a result delivered no results. Co-incidently the core of this year's premier grade champion team came from that successful colts team. Though also coincidently the majority who have gone on as full-time pros left souths.

This year another first year coach got the Prem Colts (though I don't believe he was a Souths legend). Results reflect this. I know many of the gents around the Souths clubhouse love to complain about Uni stealing their players and such, especially after Jason Gilmore had Tevita Kurindrani signed, sealed and delivered, but how hard do people think it is for say Uni to lure a player away (like a Alex Horan) when the Premier Colts are shown such disrespect? At the best of times Colts is seen as a step down from Schoolboy rugby and it only intensifies when the coach is figuring out how to coach himself, when it should be the next step in the pathway.[/quote]

Which players form that 2009 colts premiership played in the final this year? Alex Casey (would of been on the bench if a player wasn't suspended) and brucey Williamson (or was he still at school that year?) are the only ones I can think of.

Great to see if there as more

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Totally agree Red Heavy. Alex is the only player from 2009 in the Prems squad.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That was a strong side back in 09.

Kimami Situati killed it on the wing in the GF.
Kimami played in the Premier Grade final. Alex Casey was hooker in the Prem Colts GF winning team which I can proudly say was a champion team not a team of "champions".

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's right. I'm surprised I forgot that as Brothers won the big one that day. Kimami was only 17(?) and still at Nudgee. In spite of a late Magpie resurgence, Brothers managed to hold on and win by 7. First GF win in 20+ years.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's right. I'm surprised I forgot that as Brothers won the big one that day. Kimami was only 17(?) and still at Nudgee. In spite of a late Magpie resurgence, Brothers managed to hold on and win by 7. First GF win in 20+ years.
FilthRugby the guy you are probably thinking of that killed it that day was Pama Fou. Went on soon after the Colts GF to play Sevens for Australia and is still in the Sevens program. He resigned with Souths towards the end of the 2015 season but couldn't play in the last few rounds. Maybe in 2016 we will see him back but he maybe aiming for the Olympics.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Good news for Tyrone and Wests .maybe you need to be a back to get put forward at Wests. Still can't believe not one forward got a look in.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Good news for Tyrone and Wests .maybe you need to be a back to get put forward at Wests. Still can't believe not one forward got a look in.

I don't know who you'd promote to be honest... It's a good pack but is there a stand out in the forwards at Wests, seems more like a well oiled machine as opposed to a pack of 8 carried by one player.

Jeremiah Lynch last year was earmarked for a country spot until he had a season ending ankle injury. I don't know if the coaches gave him a look this year but he would of qualified being a Rocky boy!

I like the idea of Club Quota where minimum 1 forward/1 back are apart of either Country/City teams but the powerhouses supporters such as Sunnybank, UQ etc have all expressed that the NRC should be about filling the best possible team (kind of agree in a sense) but people at Norths/Wests must really be dis-interested in this competition with Club politics at play in team selections!

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Must be a bit disheartening and make you question your club loyalty when guys from gps get nrc spots and the only games they looked like winning was when all the Reds guys were playing. Norths beat Souths this year so they must have some good players. Just because you don't win the comp doesn't mean you haven't got some good players. Look at the Aussie squad, full of reds.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Must be a bit disheartening and make you question your club loyalty when guys from gps get nrc spots and the only games they looked like winning was when all the Reds guys were playing. Norths beat Souths this year so they must have some good players. Just because you don't win the comp doesn't mean you haven't got some good players. Look at the Aussie squad, full of reds.

I thought wests had a solid forward pack this year (who will be even better next year) that worked pretty well as a unit but going on the two times uni played them I dont think there where individuals bashing down the door to be selected.

Game 1 we played with 7 forwards for 65 minutes and won by 30 odd. I could be wrong but I dont really remember our scrum getting belted that much.
Game 2 we maybe won by 20 odd and that included a push over try in the scrum.

Tyrone and Georgie M are major threats out wide and I cant help but feel if Wests forwards where as dominate as you seem to be hinting at, those two would of had more opportunities and wests would have taken home more than 3 wins.

I am not trying to have a go at wests. They definitely appear to be heading in the right direction as a club (looking from the outside anyway) I just dont know if 2015 is the year to be screaming for more selections in the NRC.

PS congrates Asa I hope your man gets some game time

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
people at Norths/Wests must really be dis-interested in this competition with Club politics at play in team selections!

It is annoying, at least Vuki should have been given a go... apparently during his run in Reds A he was asked by RG to move to Easts to be given a decent shot, he refused and wasn't spoken to again.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It is annoying, at least Vuki should have been given a go. apparently during his run in Reds A he was asked by RG to move to Easts to be given a decent shot, he refused and wasn't spoken to again.

Interesting allegations, only strengthens things i have heard previously.

Allegedly (grapevine murmurs) but RG said similar things to players in NRC who "previously" were at Wests.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Any news on the Wests clubhouse? New facilities may entice more players to Sylvan Road. Brothers have had essentially the same set up since the 1980s along with nearly every other club.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I thought wests had a solid forward pack this year (who will be even better next year) that worked pretty well as a unit but going on the two times uni played them I dont think there where individuals bashing down the door to be selected.

Game 1 we played with 7 forwards for 65 minutes and won by 30 odd. I could be wrong but I dont really remember our scrum getting belted that much.

Game 2 we maybe won by 20 odd and that included a push over try in the scrum.

Tyrone and Georgie M are major threats out wide and I cant help but feel if Wests forwards where as dominate as you seem to be hinting at, those two would of had more opportunities and wests would have taken home more than 3 wins.

I am not trying to have a go at wests. They definitely appear to be heading in the right direction as a club (looking from the outside anyway) I just dont know if 2015 is the year to be screaming for more selections in the NRC.

PS congrates Asa I hope your man gets some game time

Great news about Tyrone.

I agree I don't think the Wests forwards where the most dominate in the competition but I think they where up there with one of the best scrums which I think at least one of their front rowers should have at least got a look in. Our scrum was by far one of the worst this year and we had both our props make it so not sure how it works.

I have seen highlights of one of the Wests props on the QLD Tonga facebook page and I think he wouldn't look out of place in the NRC.

But end of the day they need to put some more wins on the board next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.