• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Something I've been wondering for a while, but have never asked.

What is the origin of the 'Filth' nickname for Brothers? It sounds like it could have a good story behind it?

Figured this would be the best place to ask. Any Brethren Old Boys care to fill me in?

I'd love to hear TT's theory!!! Wouldn't you Filth?

This topic might even bring TT out of retirement!!!!!

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Something I've been wondering for a while, but have never asked.

What is the origin of the 'Filth' nickname for Brothers? It sounds like it could have a good story behind it?

Figured this would be the best place to ask. Any Brethren Old Boys care to fill me in?
Scoey. The Filth name started with Dan Crowley. Dan hosted many a rugby lunch and started using the expression with any reference to Brothers. Would always manage to spot Shawry in the crowd and made sure he welcomed "King Filth". From there it has stuck. The BS story was not the origin and it is a tale I have never heard. Like all similar yarns it probably contains a little truth and a lot of embellishment.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't know about the story Paty305 (the BS one), because I think it IS BS. I have been associated with the club since the late sixty's (and even though I was a child) and I think the filthy micks was probably on the mark.

In the 'ol "green shed" days there were a number of wild and woolly Sunday nights there after the game; well into the night and in the pitch black at times. I think my first memory of the word was in the early to mid seventies and remember players like Tony Shaw and Budda Handy using it. Actually whoever started it, Shawey loved it, almost relished in being called it.

They weren't ruthless players, "win at all costs"; they simply hated losing and they would stick up for their mates; If you played for Brothers you played as one, and that was the strength, the belief.

Long story short, I think it was other teams calling them filthy micks. It was a different world in those days.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re the sunday nights in the sheds.... id be impressed if their nights filled entertainment was any more "filthy" then every other club of drunk 20 -35,yr olds!!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
With the Reds having the bye next week, does that mean a few of the players will come back to Premier Rugby?

There's no reason to rest anyone. It's not a world cup year and we will be lucky to have a handful of Reds in the Wallabies 30 (Slipper, Simmons, who else?)

All these "kids" (excluding Greg Holmes) could do with a bit of a confidence boost being on the right side of a scoreboard result.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's no reason to rest anyone. It's not a world cup year and we will be lucky to have a handful of Reds in the Wallabies 30 (Slipper, Simmons, who else?)

All these "kids" (excluding Greg Holmes) could do with a bit of a confidence boost being on the right side of a scoreboard result.

SX if my recollection serves me right Holmesie nearly always puts his hand up to play for Sunnybank whenever the opportunity presents itself. Maybe someone from the 'Bank can confirm.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm guessing GPS will be getting Waita Setu back this weekend which will be good. Doubt any of the others will be released though as they are 'first string'.

I would actually like to see Kerevi play for Souths on the weekend, simply for the benefit of the Reds! I haven't read a whole lot of the Reds forums this season and don't want to get into it here but his style of play and ability to break the line has been lacking a bit this season. Its not entirely his fault (re Reds flyhalf issues) but I still think he needs to get some mojo back as there has been a lot of turnover ball from him.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kerevi has not impressed me at all this year and seems to have gotten slower in pace. As a 13 you need to be agile, fast and creative in running angles, not just rely on your size and run dead straight from a standstill start.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
You are spot on HtC, he is too one-dimensional. Has talent but needs to learn more, perhaps he needs more time

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Global Warming looks to be doing its part at the moment and giving us a beautiful 30+ degree game day this weekend. Feel for everyone running around, especially after the Easter weekend off.

I have heard Brothers are playing games later this weekend, 5.30pm kickoff for Prems, is that correct? Anything to do with the weather or just something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.