• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenenoah

Frank Row (1)
Tuttle #12 Foran #14 Weaver #4 Tui #8 Ryan #1 Creighton #8 , Ritchie #2 Satui #7 Rodwell #6

A lot of Nudgee. Seems like Norths have given away half their starting team come round 1. Are these the players that are being paid because I assume so = of course they will be starters

Already got the back row sorted and an extra. What happens to all the players from last year?
Big #6 who was destroying teams all year (Fijian)
The other #6 or #8 Tongan 20's player Filipine
or Alex Perez - isnt he the captain?
Surely these boys won't be happy playing reserve grade or possibly first grade at a club where wins don't come easy. Bit of a kick in the face to these boys that Norths are advertising the club under players who are new and probably haven't earned the same credentials.

I know where I'd be looking too if I was short on backrow stock at a club.

If any of the players see this post - maybe come have a look down at Easts - we would love your presence ;)
0uRQwry.png

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's a good question nenenoah about where all the other guys will go, as I heard yesterday that its not just a handful of GPS guys being targeted, apparently quite a few Prems players from all clubs have been contacted by Norths. Not sure how many will leave their clubs though, a part from GPS players that is. They seemed like the easiest target with unrest in the playing group and Fogs running the show at Norths.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hold up a second, Norths are now rumoured to have a financial backer that's going to pay decent $$ to entice players and everyone is just OK with it?

Wasn't too long ago that everyone accusing University and Sunnybank of the same, but now that it is Norths, it's fine?

Not sure I agree with that perception. Nothing technically wrong with it, and good luck to them, but I know as an Easts supporter it annoys me, and I can guarentee that if someone like GPS or Easts were doing the same there would be many pissed clubs/supporters.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree with nearly everything you've stated T12.

But, the reason why people would be up in arms if it were Gps and Easts or another club would be due to their current or previous success. Let's keep in mind that Norths haven't won an A-Grade title in 40 years! A hell of a long time. This begs the question as to when Norths would next compete for the top four and how long that would take. It may be another 40 years until that happens. So, it is understandable in part that the club is offering $ to attract players.

On the other hand, it certainly makes it harder for clubs which have no $ to offer. Brothers certainly don't, as every A-Grade player still pays full registration. And the club has even moved to charging an entrance fee in order keep things functioning. It's not just Brothers, every club, bar a few, is in the same predicament.

It makes things interesting for 2016. I wonder what TT's views are?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Norths may have opened a can of worms which could end up biting them in the ass personally.

Lets say their new model works, they bring in enough good players with the offer of $$$ and make a decent run in the finals, maybe even win the thing. For me, logically the next thing that happens is that other clubs look at that and go, righto lets get some investors and do the same thing, as its no longer seen as 'dodgy' to be paying players to play for you, as tigerland alludes to above.

I can tell you that there is a large list of rather wealthy individuals and companies who have a vested interested in Brothers, GPS and Easts, who given the right opportunity have pockets deep enough to fund some payments. It then comes down to whether Norths have done enough as a club to hold onto those blokes or whether they'd go back to their old club or elsewhere if the same $$$ was being offered.

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
In norths defence from the above picture that's 2 new players? If they had more they would post about them surely?
Tuttle and Rodwell are the only new players listed. Have more signed?
The others on that list:
Tui (you would assume he'll be reds 23 every week)
The Satuis played for norths in 2015
The other boys all either played colts or juniors for the club I'm fairly sure.

Has any other player been rumoured? Or is everyone getting their noses out of joint for 2 players?

Club Rugby Fan

Frank Row (1)
Any confirmation of Coaching appointments at Easts, Wests or GPS for 2016? Plenty of murmurings around Ashgrove of a few issues there! It appears as though none of the Premier Reserve or Premier Colts coaches will be there in 2016 with one off to Brothers and one off to Wests! Not sure what has happened at Ashgrove but looking like a pretty tough another pretty tough year for the Gallopers in 2016!

Wests I believe have kept Pat Byron , not sure on the remainder of the Premeir Rugby staff?

Easts have the stability of Pat Richards as Director of Rugby which is great for them, do we know who is filling the prem Roles there in 2016?

Interesting year ahead in 2016, looks to be a pretty wide open comp with Norths and Wests potentially big improvers. Uni, Easts, Souths, Brothers & Sunnybank all look strong again.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I say good on Norths for having a crack at trying to attract better players to their club. Something has to be done, otherwise they will continue to struggle. As for GPS you reap what you sow. Perhaps a bit of loyalty to long standing club coaches and you wouldn't have half the team leaving for other clubs. Hopefully it isn't as bad as we are hearing. Maybe the board will do something when Saturday afternoon numbers at the ground are down due to poor performance, hopefully I am wrong.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How about instead of player payments which are short term gain but usually financially unstable they throw some money into upgrading their clubhouse/locker rooms which probably have a better impact long term on the club culture.

I for one would like to see my club Wests get this new facility they have planned over the line then pay a couple of prima donnas to don the doggies jersey.

T12 - Yes allegations have been thrown in previous years about how UQ & Sunnybank rugby have won titles on the back of player payments.. and it's why I will always support a Souths, Easts or Brothers in a GF match cause they appear (on surface) to build squads the moral way. When Norths finally win the championship and deserve the payer payment allegations... well lets cross that bridge when it comes to that.

I'm sure you are all updating your preseason predictions to features Wests as favourites for Wooden spoon. I won't be making any such predictions until i see the makeup of preseason lineups.

CARN THE DOGS!!!

nenenoah

Frank Row (1)
In norths defence from the above picture that's 2 new players? If they had more they would post about them surely?
Tuttle and Rodwell are the only new players listed. Have more signed?
The others on that list:
Tui (you would assume he'll be reds 23 every week)
The Satuis played for norths in 2015
The other boys all either played colts or juniors for the club I'm fairly sure.

Has any other player been rumoured? Or is everyone getting their noses out of joint for 2 players?

My sources say Creighton is a NZ player - not a Norths junior or colt
The point I make is that four players in the back row have been listed in this club promotion video. Why would you put in the names of reserve grade players? You wouldn't. Whoever made the video has put in these players names to flaunt *Hence Hendrix Tui is listed twice* and on that basis you can presume they are the walk-ins for the back row
The two or three who are going to miss-out which I mentioned earlier, who all have decent credentials should be picked up by another club instead of playing reserve grade or potentially first grade at Norths.

Nick Dobell

Bob McCowan (2)
Jeez it's only September and I am excited for 2016! Plenty of rumours & announcements getting around! Inevitably the clubs with great depth and a strong culture come out on top, I am sure it will be no different next year.

Does anyone know if a draw, tentative or otherwise, has been released by the QRU at all? Or am I jumping the gun a little?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Ill refrain from naming the players I know of (for now) until everything is locked in, but you can expect to see AT LEAST another 3 run-on Premier Grade GPS players at Norths in 2016, if everything goes the way it currently is. Again, its still very early and things can change considerably as this is only amateur rugby and no contracts are being signed (as far as I know) so pretty much until someone runs out in a jersey for round 1 I wouldn't confirm anything.

TheInsideDog

Frank Row (1)
I'm sure you are all updating your preseason predictions to features Wests as favourites for Wooden spoon. I won't be making any such predictions until i see the makeup of preseason lineups.

CARN THE DOGS!!!

Would not be surprised if Wests fly under the radar this season, before making a claim to be in the top 4. There has been a bit of movement during the offseason and the link Wests holds with the invitational Tribe 7's greatly benefits the club. The new development is only bound to resurrect Wests and expect them to surprise a lot of teams in 2016.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tuttle #12 Foran #14 Weaver #4 Tui #8 Ryan #1 Creighton #8 , Ritchie #2 Satui #7 Rodwell #6

A lot of Nudgee. Seems like Norths have given away half their starting team come round 1. Are these the players that are being paid because I assume so = of course they will be starters

Already got the back row sorted and an extra. What happens to all the players from last year?
Big #6 who was destroying teams all year (Fijian)
The other #6 or #8 Tongan 20's player Filipine
or Alex Perez - isnt he the captain?
Surely these boys won't be happy playing reserve grade or possibly first grade at a club where wins don't come easy. Bit of a kick in the face to these boys that Norths are advertising the club under players who are new and probably haven't earned the same credentials.

I know where I'd be looking too if I was short on backrow stock at a club.

If any of the players see this post - maybe come have a look down at Easts - we would love your presence ;)
0uRQwry.png

The guys from gps that I've heard leaving us, I'm not sure how'd they'd go at north given the way the coaches approached moving ships this year; heard they weren't well received by the players, perhaps they are chasing guys they prefer.

It's certainly not fair on the loyal club guys to be shafted for a perceived mercenary culture. Gps experienced that first hand this year with a group of loyal club men opting not to play after being rubbed up the wrong way by a new coach who brought guys in who have been around many clubs. I hope norths don't fall into the same trap.

Money isn't the solution to norths, holding onto juniors, colts and existing players might be a better approach, gps, Souths, Uni and Sunnybank have proven this.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
From the Website -

2016 Coaching Appointments - 22 / Sep / 2015

Brothers Rugby club is pleased to announce the appointment of Carl Marshall as Head Coach for the 2016 season. Carl has been an assistant coach with the club for a number of years and this appointment supports the clubs objectives of providing a pathway for players and coaches.
Carl has a impressive CV after coaching QLD Schoolboys from 2009 – 2013, was the Performance Analyst for the Australian u20’s in 2014 and this year is coaching the Australian Schoolboys Barbarians side.
‘Im looking forward to taking on the role of Head Coach of such a iconic club, the team has evolved a lot since I first started in 2010. Its an exciting playing group to coach and we will be working hard over the off season to take our performances to another level’. Carl said.
Carl will be assisted by Ben McCormack & Brendan Gabbett who have also coached at the club for a number of years. ‘Ben has been instrumental in the Colts program the last couple of years and I’ve worked closely with Brendan developing our attacking style. We are working towards a more professional approach in terms of our training and team culture.’ Carl said
Other coaching appointments are being finalised at the moment and announcements will be made in the coming weeks.
The 2016 Season will get underway on Saturday 12 March at Crosby Park against Norths in the local derby.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why is the season starting so early again? I thought this year was a bit of an anomaly due to the RWC and thus they wanted to get it done earlier.

Playing trial games in mid-late Feb isn't ideal but looks like it'll be happening again.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Just read Mack Mason - Churchie 2014 Premiership Flyhalf - is on the bench for QLD Country this weekend after returning to Brissy following a season with the Storm U20s. Does this mean he will be playing QPR in 2016? If so I hope Easts are targeting him hard considering the links with Churchie. Watched him play one game in 2014 and despite the hype around Ponga, I thought Mason was a more mature and rounded footballer.

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone else Hear Tim Smiths Injury, Hamstring torn off the bone, That would require surgery and a hefty break poor bloke, High hopes for this kid this year,
Hope he recovers well, Bright future for this kid

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Just heard some mail, Freney has decided against a move to the Nest and has joined the list of players moving to Shaw Rd. Apparently Mitch King and a few others will follow suit from GPS due to the unrest caused with the Dammers reappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.