• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Someone that I feel Souths are really missing in 2016 is Stephan Van der Walt. In 2015 he was a real finisher and having been picked up by Aussie Sevens he is a significant loss.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reds rugby is (now) showing QPR hit of the week on instagram, not sure about website. Last weeks was Easts Tyrell Barker(?) against Uni - thing of beauty...

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Levi Aumua (BGS 2011) named for Souths at 12 this weekend. Was anyone aware of his return to Brisbane following a stint with Bordeaux? Looking forward to seeing him in action as well as Timu for the Bank.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests will lift for the trip to Yoku Rd today. An improved defensive effort will see that this encounter is a close one.

Despite only having one win they really aren't that far off the pace.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I see Easts are paying $5.00 to beat Sunnybank today. I heard reports that they played quite well against University so wouldn't be surprised to see them spring an upset.

Wests may not be that far off the pace but they appear to have gone backwards from 2015. The fitness of their props looks pretty questionable and they seem to be getting toweled up at scrum time when they were going reasonably well last year. Another yellow card for scrum not holding up last week.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
GPS 49 def Wests 20

The Doggies are coming out flat in the 2nd half and not finishing games.

Another promising scoreline at half time followed with another disappointing result at the final siren.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Caught end of the 1st half at Easts and all 2nd half. Good comeback from 14-0 down when I got there but in the end Sunnybank just looked too strong. Really liked the Bank number 9, their 10 looked very quick too. Timu at 8 looked pretty good, didn't seem lost at all like the converts sometimes do, not sure how long since he played.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Though not Prems, was at Souths for the Logan/Souths first grade today, ref was Damon(I think) Murphy ex Filth player, me thinks he will be a very good ref if todays effort anything to go by.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Caught end of the 1st half at Easts and all 2nd half. Good comeback from 14-0 down when I got there but in the end Sunnybank just looked too strong. Really liked the Bank number 9, their 10 looked very quick too. Timu at 8 looked pretty good, didn't seem lost at all like the converts sometimes do, not sure how long since he played.

Timu was good. You missed his try a couple of minutes into the game. Big strong and fast. I like the look of him.

Propsperspective

Frank Nicholson (4)
Though not Prems, was at Souths for the Logan/Souths first grade today, ref was Damon(I think) Murphy ex Filth player, me thinks he will be a very good ref if todays effort anything to go by.

Yes was out at Souths on weekend and heard Murph is really enjoying it. The ref I like is the bald bloke Rigby, nothing flash, just gets on with it and players seem to respect him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Didn't really see any other games Props, I admit to wandering off to pub after the Logan game. It just really pleases me to see ex players getting into reffing, and talking to some of our players they commented on what good rapport Murphy had with players after I mentioned I had liked his work, real pleased to see positive comment of yours about the Rigby fella. I not one who ever likes criticism of refs,(most are better than the players they ref anyway) and it certainly doesn't hurt to mention when we see some that take our eye for being good.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Entertaining game to watch at St Lucia yesterday. Norths seemed seriously in the game with maybe 25 to go when they received a penalty try from continual scrum infringements and the score was 21-19. However after that it was a train wreck for Norths as the Uni backs ran riot. No 12 would have received 3, 2 and 1 points as he was that dominant. Final score was no reflection of the game however Uni must be really pleased how they finished off Norths in a big way, their continuity was simply outstanding. It will be interesting to see how Norths react to the loss after their recent good wins, hopefully in the positive, as it doesnt come much tougher than Sunnybank away after a big loss.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
40 points by Uni in last 25 minutes is some achievement!!

Who was this number 12 for Uni?

Uni may have caused the wheels to fall off Norths wagon for 2016 which would be a shame.

Then again, GPS gathering momentum and play Norths in two weeks, probably the week after Norths getting belted by Sunnybank too, so maybe Uni have done us a favour.

Uni also have to finish round 1 in three weeks by playing GPS, so their place at the top of the table may not last long:)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
12 for UQ was Nathan Russell according to the named teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The 12 is Nathan Russell

Norths competed really well until the game was out of their reach

Tom Pincus has gone on a bit of a scoring blitz since he took over the kicking duties 3 weeks ago. 59 points in 3 games or 49 in the last 2.

Uni have the week off now and will be hoping to fair better than the other teams who have come off the bye. Only wests in round 2 have won after the bye so far

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS have a great opportunity to build some momentum over the next few weeks. Taking on some lower teams in Easts and Norths to build some confidence (hopefully) before taking on heavy hitters UQ at Yoku to finish the first round. A possible top 4 finish at the end of round one would be a definite win for GPS in my opinion.

It looks like most games this season have been really competitive with the stronger sides getting away in the last 15-20mins of games. Good to see the competition improving for the most part though.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't get ahead of yourself Big Dog.

Easts by all accounts are improving and did pretty well v Snbk and will get a win sooner or later, they are starting to get some U20 and injured players back;

Norths in 2016 are a totally different proposition and provided an injury curse hasn't set in they are capable of beating anyone on their day;

It would be folly of you to pencil Uni in as a win.

GPS v Easts, Dammers v Connelan - despite Easts being anchored to the bottom of the table it shapes as a tough one for your boys.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haha is optimism frowned upon in these forums now?

Everyone keeps trying to talk their teams down or give excuses as to why teams CAN'T win. How about we start looking at reasons why teams can win and commend those who are giving it a go?

Or maybe i'll chalk that up to sour grapes hey Bulldog.

Status
Not open for further replies.