• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Despite some near misses from Premier Grade I think GPS will be pretty happy as a club approaching the halfway point of the season. Majority of grades teams seem to be on track to make a run for the finals (colts need some help)

Prems - 6th, possible 5th after upcoming game
Reggies - 5th, 1 point of out top 4
1st grade - 4th
2nd grade - 2nd
3rd grade - 3rd

There was a real club wide disappointment last year after several seasons of nabbing a handful of Premierships and a conscious effort was made to get the entire club back on the same page. Seems to be on the road to happening which is good to see.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hearing Goro may have fallen out of the Reds 23 for this weekend. Wonder if he will be turning out for bond in the near future.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth it wouldn't be fair for me to comment as I wasn't actually at that game. The comments at training though were that GPS really dropped the bundle and are very very annoyed they let that game go.

Propsperspective

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some season defining games this weekend. Norths v GPS is almost must win already, Easts will be looking for revenge against Souths and the Bank taking on Uni is mouth watering. I am heading to Uni, it is ladies day after all but expecting great struggles all around Brissie.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Spoke to a few Wests players this week - apparently a number of players are not happy with rigid structures coaches are insisting the players stick to. Those same players are getting selected regularly so doesn't appear to be sour grapes.

I don't remember all the detail but the one thing I do remember is a pattern called "Soldiers". Forwards off 9 was the general description - something they've been using since 2012 and the coaches just keep reverting to the same thing.

Apparently a lot of the players want to be more adventurous but coaches say no, this is what we do - you just need to do it better.

Some players apparently already talking to other clubs about 2017 as don't think coaches are going to change their approach.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Spoke to a few Wests players this week - apparently a number of players are not happy with rigid structures coaches are insisting the players stick to. Those same players are getting selected regularly so doesn't appear to be sour grapes.

I don't remember all the detail but the one thing I do remember is a pattern called "Soldiers". Forwards off 9 was the general description - something they've been using since 2012 and the coaches just keep reverting to the same thing.

Apparently a lot of the players want to be more adventurous but coaches say no, this is what we do - you just need to do it better.

Some players apparently already talking to other clubs about 2017 as don't think coaches are going to change their approach.

This is very disappointing but it's convenient for players to blame the coaches when the team is under performing. At the end of the day it's the players not the coaches that have to get the job done on game day.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
This is very disappointing but it's convenient for players to blame the coaches when the team is under performing. At the end of the day it's the players not the coaches that have to get the job done on game day.

Agree. But it's probably the same with any team who are suffering a miserable run.

Wests getting belted again by Brothers today won't help. Hard to fight your way out of a losing spiral.

Wests and Easts look like they're well and truly in the race for the wooden spoon.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
West in no way got belted by brothers today good first half with some really strong defence for long periods of time. just some unforced errors let them down. Wests attitude was a lot more positive today and once they realise they don't have to score of the first phase and that backs can take a tackle and don't have to throw the ball away they will be in every game they play. Good scrum today they won a couple against the feed, line out still a bit off. Best thing about Wests today they found their never give up attitude again and played a lot more for each other today. I hope the players that are talking about leaving have the balls to tell the club so they can look for players for next year

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
West in no way got belted by brothers today good first half with some really strong defence for long periods of time. just some unforced errors let them down. Wests attitude was a lot more positive today and once they realise they don't have to score of the first phase and that backs can take a tackle and don't have to throw the ball away they will be in every game they play. Good scrum today they won a couple against the feed, line out still a bit off. Best thing about Wests today they found their never give up attitude again and played a lot more for each other today. I hope the players that are talking about leaving have the balls to tell the club so they can look for players for next year

Yep, 41- 19 isn't a belting :)

"Some really strong defence for long periods of time" doesn't negate the fact that they got smacked.

If the best thing they did today was "to find their never give up attitude again", they are in serious trouble if that attitude produces that result!

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
You know, I am beyond one-eyed towards Brothers, but hats off to Wests today - they played contested scrums in every grade and showed a lot of guts. Premier grade won 41-19.
Up the brethren!

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree. But it's probably the same with any team who are suffering a miserable run.

Wests getting belted again by Brothers today won't help. Hard to fight your way out of a losing spiral.

Wests and Easts look like they're well and truly in the race for the wooden spoon.

Wests will continue to struggle unless changes are made. For example Wests do not have a dedicated forwards coach - what did you say! - thats correct they do not have a forwards coach. The Wests QPR Premier side get 20 minutes or so with the Wests Colts forwards coach on a Tuesday and Thursday night.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Wests will continue to struggle unless changes are made. For example Wests do not have a dedicated forwards coach - what did you say! - thats correct they do not have a forwards coach. The Wests QPR Premier side get 20 minutes or so with the Wests Colts forwards coach on a Tuesday and Thursday night.

That's extraordinary. I don't think I've ever heard of a situation like that at any other club.

Was it a decision not to appoint a forwards coach or a case of no-one putting their hand up for the job?

What about the Reserve Grade or Colts forwards coach - can't they move up to Premier Grade?

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's extraordinary. I don't think I've ever heard of a situation like that at any other club.

Was it a decision not to appoint a forwards coach or a case of no-one putting their hand up for the job?

What about the Reserve Grade or Colts forwards coach - can't they move up to Premier Grade?
Extraordinary, but true. I was told this a week or so ago but when I started to read the comments blaming coaches and then pointing the finger at the player's I thought something needed to be said. Neither is to blame if the committee has failed to provide a forwards coach. With so little time allocated in both planning and practicing the set peice its a credit to the forwards. As for the Colts forward coach well done to him for the extra mile he is going for Wests

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers were clinical in the second half against Wests yesterday. The Dogs played well. They were competitive in the forwards. Brothers scored most of the tries out wide. Mitch Felsman continues his try-scoring purple patch with three meat pies.

Any reports out of Uni? Were the Students that good? Or did Sunnybank not turn up?

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Brothers were clinical in the second half against Wests yesterday. The Dogs played well. They were competitive in the forwards. Brothers scored most of the tries out wide. Mitch Felsman continues his try-scoring purple patch with three meat pies.

Any reports out of Uni? Were the Students that good? Or did Sunnybank not turn up?

Heard that Uni were up 30 odd to nil at halftime and played outstanding rugby in that first half, not letting Sunnybank into the contest.

Apparently Uni not that hot in second half which allowed Sunnybank to compete.

Final score 57-22 so second half scoreline pretty even.

Hopefully Uni don't bring their form from the first half to Yoku Road next weekend.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests seem to be in a ding dong battle with Easts for the 2016 wooden spoon, but the it seems that the future for the Tigers looks bright with 4 players (plus Harley Fox, now at the Rebels) in the Aust U20 side that beat NZ on the weekend.

They also have Perez and Pilze on their books.

Let's hope for the sake of Qld Rugby that these guys are retained in Qld.

Status
Not open for further replies.