• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, I totally agree with you Bulldog. Wests should have beaten Brothers at Sylvan Rd this year. If Mick Lee runs around for another year, the Dogs will have that experience in the side to direct the younger players.

Brothers are putting in a lot of effort in developing not just a squad of players but rather a larger portion of the club. Premier Grade may find it difficult without Greene and Tupou (if included in Reds). The forwards will be strong but the backs might struggle with depth in certain positions. They have a lot of talent in the backs, but continually changing players around can hinder consistency.

Heard Souths (whole club) is looking strong for 2016. Usually a club will pick up a few more players after winning the premiership.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Bulldog - any mail that's made you come to that conclusion I.e new players? or is it simply a gut call based on your blind loyalty to the kennel?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
SouthernX primarily blind Bulldog faith but if we can pick up a couple of decent kiwis we'll be really firing. Hopefully the Phil Mooney kiwi connections will pull a few quality players our way.

Good stuff happening off the park often leads to improved performance on the park.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know ever club has a club stalwart - I would like to pay tribute to those men/women on this forum.

For Wests it would have to be Wayne Carter;
Souths: Doubles Daly;

Who are the club stalwarts at the other clubs?

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
The Big Dog I see there has been some movement at Yoku rd in the coaching ranks and on the committee. I think Stu Hendricks being named as Head coach of reserve grade is a massive step up for him just like James Thompson being head coach in prem colts. I see JR is now president and Geraldine Knapp is now on the committee good stuff. Hopefully it's a big season next year

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know its Reds related but why sign Steven Moore for 2017???

Why did they let Hanson go and then sign Moore??? - it just doesn't make sense to me.

Hanson is arguably the second best hooker in Australia behind Moore at present and the Reds let him go?? Hanson may even have greater value at Super Rugby level than he does at Test level.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I know its Reds related but why sign Steven Moore for 2017???

Why did they let Hanson go and then sign Moore??? - it just doesn't make sense to me.

Hanson is arguably the second best hooker in Australia behind Moore at present and the Reds let him go?? Hanson may even have greater value at Super Rugby level than he does at Test level.
Fainga'a might be leaving?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Big Dog I see there has been some movement at Yoku rd in the coaching ranks and on the committee. I think Stu Hendricks being named as Head coach of reserve grade is a massive step up for him just like James Thompson being head coach in prem colts. I see JR is now president and Geraldine Knapp is now on the committee good stuff. Hopefully it's a big season next year

GPS Mick isn't that 3 presidents in 3 years for the Gallopers - Richards(2016), Park('15) & McWhirter('13-'14)?

Geraldine Knapp might need to call on her political background to achieve longevity on the Board.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Five newly signed players have to be aligned to clubs;

Kane Douglas
Ben Matwijow
Cadeyrn Neville
Eto Nabuli
Ayumu Goromaru

For your sake Bulldog it would be great to see Wests pick up a few. Ideally, these players should not go to clubs which already have 5+ Reds. The competition cannot get too lopsided once finals arrive.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS Mick isn't that 3 presidents in 3 years for the Gallopers - Richards(2016), Park('15) & McWhirter('13-'14)?

Geraldine Knapp might need to call on her political background to achieve longevity on the Board.

McWhirter stepped down on his own accord to focus on his business and Park had been President in the past and then decided not to take on the role for 2016. I think you'll find much of the movement on the board isn't so much a sign of unrest but rather people seeing out their tenure. Of course there are always agendas though so no doubt some movement can be attributed to disagreements etc. With the amalgamation of the juniors and seniors there was always going to be some movement as well so that both parties can be represented.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Notice a even stronger ex GPS presence at the Magpie Nest in pre season. Shane Arnold working with Prems along with the 2015 team of Buzz Picone, ET and Van. Donovan Slade working with Daymon Tuka and Matt Moore (GPS and Wests coach) in Prem Reserves.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but its a highlights video of Stefano Hunt playing for GPS this year. Anyone know of his whereabouts for next year?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
So entry from 2018 into reserve grade?
Why not put things in place and just work to get them into Prems, Res and Prem Colts. Make it know now, start the recruitment and attracting players to (and back to) the Saints for 2018.

10 team QPR comp!!

Then by 2020, lets get it up to 12-14 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh I'm a bit confused by it. If there are going to be two season of possible recruitment and tinkering before entering into the Premier Comp, shouldn't that be enough time for Logan to get the full contingent of teams? You would think the carrot for players to head to Logan would be the opportunity to play top level footy, not just Reserves.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/a-breakthrough-year-has-been-good-enough-to-take-o/2886751/

Darling Downs Rugby getting a bit of recognition by the local community being voted team of the year up on the range... You think that the QRU could get a decent go up there as there's no QRL team at the moment... If they got the go ahead could get a decent following I reckon and its really not that far away, especially if they only play Premier Rugby. Also its a real heartland for Queensland Rugby, it just makes sense for a Darling Downs team to be in the comp.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Maybe the name for QPR needs to be changed to BPR or SEQPR until there is a true representation?

Calling it the Queensland Premier Rugby comp at the moment is a bit pretentious, considering there are only 9 teams...

It's like when the Yanks call it the World Series in Baseball.

We should change it to the Australian Premier Rugby comp...

Imagine the CVs then:

"I am a 1st Grade Halfback in the Australian Premier Rugby comp"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.