• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Could that article be read as Logan are going to be in Prem Reserves this year and next in anticipation of joining Premier proper in 2018? That would make more sense to me.

I like the idea of a Downs team but it will cost a bit of money to make it happen and I'm not sure that the QRU would be the ones handing it out. They need to find some source of finance, long term, to make it happen. We don't want another Stingrays who had money until they didn't and then had to leave the comp.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You could never have a true Darling Downs rep team in the comp, the geographical area of the darling downs is far larger than any of the coast rep teams.

However a team like the toowoomba rangers could probably make the step up

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
You could never have a true Darling Downs rep team in the comp, the geographical area of the darling downs is far larger than any of the coast rep teams.

However a team like the toowoomba rangers could probably make the step up

I think for the team to be sucessful it would have to be a Downs wide team. Maybe not the Downs Country Rugby team, but a team that represents the entire Downs area. Call it the Toowoomba Somethings if you want but have catchment from Warwick, Goondiwindi, Roma, etc. And take some games out those ways as well.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Teams will be set for an important few weeks before the February trials.

Brothers have focused on developing Colts and Grades players to make the step-up into the higher teams. Thus, trying to keep solid depth throughout the club.

They only recruited players have been Sam Grasso from GPS (former Brothers player anyway) and Rhett Cope, a former Wests back rower. Both talented players.

Mind you, doggies fans shouldn't protest too much, as a few Uni players will be heading down your way.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brothers have focused on developing Colts and Grades players to make the step-up into the higher teams. Thus, trying to keep solid depth throughout the club.
... or... adopting the five-kick tactic of paying some promising youngsters a few pennies to keep them keen, call it a 'contract' to sound impressive, put out a media release or two and take some nice promotional shots for the web page and FB / Twitter feeds, use them as fishbait to attract other young hopefuls ("geez, if those guys are there and getting a contract, I might give it a go as well"), keep them off the market and close to home to see how they develop, and just spit them out later if they aren't any good or if they fuck up by getting drunk and making the front page of the Courier Mail for pissing on a cop car...

Jordan Webster

Frank Row (1)
Teams will be set for an important few weeks before the February trials.

They only recruited players have been Sam Grasso from GPS (former Brothers player anyway) and Rhett Cope, a former Wests back rower. Both talented players.

Mind you, doggies fans shouldn't protest too much, as a few Uni players will be heading down your way.

That seems to be a theme for success FilthRugby. Too much emphasis on recruiting stars and not developing current/future players and stressing on depth. I would say its the main reason clubs like Brothers had Prems- 2nd Grade in finals this year. Build a club from the bottom up, not the top down. With quantity comes quality- the better players will rise above the masses. If only some other clubs could realise that.... Especially mine ;)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I recently heard that Wests halfback Tim Smith was looking for a new club after making his NRC debut and coming second in the point scorers for 2015. Brothers were the early favourites to secure his services.

I've also heard that Jack Mullins was pulling back from Premier Grade at Easts to concentrate on his legal career, which leaves a pretty big hole at halfback for Smith to potentially fill.

I saw a video of Smith running around at Easts training the other day, which seems pretty compelling evidence that he's a tiger - does anyone know if he's decided to play at Easts, or is that just testing the waters?

It'd be a tough sell to get him to Brothers now, though..

Sam Greene is officially the fastest player in the Reds squad in 2016, and being able to cover 10 and 15 with the pace to play wing should lock him down a bench spot on utility value.

With Greene and Clinton Knox out of the picture for Brothers, I believe that leaves Brisbane City's young Paddy James to play 10.

With the loss of Anthony Mathison as well as losing Nella Tupou, Tom Moloney and Greene to Super Rugby, I'm expecting a down year at Brothers - and that might well have chased away the very talented Tim Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Could that article be read as Logan are going to be in Prem Reserves this year and next in anticipation of joining Premier proper in 2018? That would make more sense to me.

I like the idea of a Downs team but it will cost a bit of money to make it happen and I'm not sure that the QRU would be the ones handing it out. They need to find some source of finance, long term, to make it happen. We don't want another Stingrays who had money until they didn't and then had to leave the comp.

Yes that's my interpretation as well, there have been articles in the past on the subject and that's what they also indicated.

Logan would have 2 years in Premier Reserves and be promoted to Premier Grade from 2018.

As for the Downs, well it needs to be noted that a Darlin Downs rep team is very different to that type of team that you could roll out weekly in Premier Grade. Some of the Darling Downs best players come from Goondiwindi and Roma, who are too far away to train and play in Toowoomba 3-4 times a week.

I love the Toowoomba region, and if a team were to be included it's catchment should cover the whole Darling Downs, but I'm not sure the depth is currently there. Maybe if they could pillage some of the players from Toowoomba Rugby League it could work.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
@TheKing - Rugby Reg would have to confirm, but wouldn't Tupou play Premier Rugby until he is called into the Reds match day side?

If Brothers can win a sufficient amount of earlier regular season games to get into a finals worthy position, they can then rely on the additions of Greene, Tupou, Moloney and Hunt towards the back-end of the season.

Mind you, I understand what you're saying King; University, Souths, Sunnybank, Bond, GPS and Easts will be tough encounters for Brothers. Plus, Norths and Wests are always difficult away games in the past.

Tim Smith isn't heading to Brothers as Grasso has returned to the scrum half position. You may be right with him playing for Easts or staying at the Dogs.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
I recently heard that Wests halfback Tim Smith was looking for a new club after making his NRC debut and coming second in the point scorers for 2015. Brothers were the early favourites to secure his services.

I've also heard that Jack Mullins was pulling back from Premier Grade at Easts to concentrate on his legal career, which leaves a pretty big hole at halfback for Smith to potentially fill.

I saw a video of Smith running around at Easts training the other day, which seems pretty compelling evidence that he's a tiger - does anyone know if he's decided to play at Easts, or is that just testing the waters?

It'd be a tough sell to get him to Brothers now, though..

Sam Greene is officially the fastest player in the Reds squad in 2016, and being able to cover 10 and 15 with the pace to play wing should lock him down a bench spot on utility value.

With Greene and Clinton Knox out of the picture for Brothers, I believe that leaves Brisbane City's young Paddy James to play 10.

With the loss of Anthony Mathison as well as losing Nella Tupou, Tom Moloney and Greene to Super Rugby, I'm expecting a down year at Brothers - and that might well have chased away the very talented Tim Smith.

I hope you are wrong about Sam Greene. And this is not meant to be a slight on Sam but if he is the quickest in the Reds squad we have some out wide issues. He is not even the fastest at Brothers.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
The Reds outside backs aren't exactly speedsters though. Frisby, McIntyre, Sautia, Kerevi, Karmichael, Sautia and Goromaru aren't noted speedsters

I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that Greene could pip Laloifi in a 40 m sprint. All I know for sure is, I quote,

"There's a reason Sam played alot of fullback in NRC... prior to the Goromaru signing he was going to be their option as JJ is out. On the bench could cover 10/15.. McIntyre IMO is not cut out for Super Rugby and never will be.. i think he will get found out. McIntyre was pulled from clearing duties after 1 half of Super Rugby... JOC (James O'Connor) made that horrible clearing kick vs the Sharks.. ppl don't realise, but why was he kicking anyway? The City side used Frisby's box kicks to clear.. they are hiding his inefficiencies. McIntyre is pretty one dimensional doesnt offer alot. SG is officially the fastest guy at the Reds.."

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Who's the quote from? And fastest over what distance? 10m, 40m or 100m?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Magpies will play the Woodies in the 2nd week of trials (27th Feb) at Chipsywood. Both clubs will be aiming for their 2nd Australian Club Championship title.

Souths aim to be the third Queensland rugby club to achieve this result (x2).

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

I saw a video of Smith running around at Easts training the other day, which seems pretty compelling evidence that he's a tiger - does anyone know if he's decided to play at Easts, or is that just testing the waters.

Don't leave Tim but if you do better the Tigers than the Filth I suppose.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Who's the quote from? And fastest over what distance? 10m, 40m or 100m?

No idea about distance. My best guess is 40 m. Turns out the speed testing was before Laloifi joined the squad, so he'd be the quickest now.

Quote is from someone who knows, but whose name probably shouldn't appear online.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hearing whispers that Jack and James Tuttle are linked to Norths, as is big Campbell Magnay.

Lots of UQ players approached by Norths, and the mass exodus from GPS is looking like Norths will have quite the stable to play with.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If I was Sam Greene I doubt I'd want to be played at 15, 14 or 11 for the Reds. Tell them 10 or 12 thanks. But then again Frisby was played @ 10 last year so you never know what might transpire.

T

TOCC

Eto Nabuli isn't a slouch either, I reckon he would beat most over 40-100m

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
@the King - I was hoping the Tuttles were coming to Brothers. Both played their juniors at the club. Unfortunately, I doubt they will return.

@Bulldog - I'll ignore your comment made above about preferring Tim Smith going to Easts over Brothers, apart from saying that you've spoken like a true Dogs supporter. Haha. Any news on your clubhouse?

@Bulldog - No one will replace the infamous Tigers Tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.