• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently Wests got up over Souths in the trial on the weekend. Even though it is only a trial that is still a promising result for the Dogs.

Souths have the Australian Club Championship this weekend against Eastwood. Many Magpie fans will descend on Chipsy Wood. Easts easily got a few thousand in the ACC a few years ago.

Filth let's just leave judgement on the Dogs until they've played a few comp games but another trial win v Easts this week would be nice.

Good luck to Souths in the ACC.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bulldog - The QRU have made Akuna Oval Kenmore (Kenmore Rugby Club) the venue of all Wests games for the majority of the Premier Rugby season. I imagine the developments at Wests are now going ahead?

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Duncan Paaiaua is also listed as Norths on Reds Rugby.

Interested to know why Hunt left Bros.

Fairly certain all the pre season Reds club alignments are a result of the Hunt fiasco last year. QRU said then it was too late to register him with a club. (any club)

T

TOCC

From the Reds website, a few movements which have been mentioned previously.

Cadeyrn Neville - Bond
Ayumu Goromaru - Bond
Hendrik Tui - Norths
Karmichael Hunt - Norths
Ben Matwijow - Norths
Eto Nabuli - GPS
Samu Kerevi - Souths
Sam Talakai - Brothers

U20s
James Tuttle - GPS
Mack Mason - Easts

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Tom Moloney (Brothers) named in Rebels squad for tour to Perth and the Republic. Great effort. With Taniella and Tom both gone/unavailable for QPR the front 3 stocks at Crosby will be under pressure.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Went out to watch GPS today. We got flogged 62-10 by Uni.

Uni backs ran riot and it really wasn't ever a contest!

Was told Uni had a couple of backs out who will be back in the next week or two and had five of their likely starting pack for round 1 out today.

Not sure how many to come back into GPS team but we need some cavalry from somewhere after also getting touched up by Sunnybank last week.

GPS won reserve grade and Uni won Colts pretty easily.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Club Championship is staying down South for another year after Eastwood beat the Magpies at Chipsy Wood yesterday.

Heard Bond beat Norths in a close on yesterday? Is that correct?

Bros v Bank had close results across the colts & grades. Heat played a major factor. Some Bank players played multiple games - gutsy effort.

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
The Club Championship is staying down South for another year after Eastwood beat the Magpies at Chipsy Wood yesterday.

Heard Bond beat Norths in a close on yesterday? Is that correct?

Bros v Bank had close results across the colts & grades. Heat played a major factor. Some Bank players played multiple games - gutsy effort.
FR- prem reserve 3 tries a piece v bond, Prem's 31-25 to bond

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond were ravaged by front row injuries.

Out of 160mins of Premier football, they were only able to scrum for 40mins in total.

A shame for both teams, but the Eagles are looking forward to getting a good workout against a very well developing Bulldogs scrum this weekend at The Kenmore Kennel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests v Easts trial at Bottomley Park was a keenly fort encounter in which Easts prevailed 26-17 (4 tries to 3). Easts scored the sealer on fulltime.

Both sides would be reasonably happy given that both sides were down a few regular Prem starters.

Easts scrum looked effective, but both sides lacked combination in the back lines and at lineout time. All things that will improve for both clubs as the season progresses.

They will both need to improve if they are to be Premiership contenders but it is still only February.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would it be fair to install Uni & Souths as favourites for the 2016 Hospital Cup?

My 2016 predictions:
Uni
Souths
Easts
Sunnybank
Bond
Wests
Bros
Norths
GPS

But nice trial form for Bond, Norths & Wests.

I think Souths will find it hard to back up, fine side in 2015 but they had plenty that went their way at seasons end as you have to in order to win the comp;
Uni just can never be discounted;
Sunnybank, Easts & Bros might struggle with depth;
Bond will be good and should make the 4, depth might be a challenge for them also;
I hope Wests & Norths move up the table but is it going to be more of the same?
GPS - I hope they have all kissed and made up with the coach, otherwise we might see Richard Graham in charge at Yoku Rd by Round 5???

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I
Bond were ravaged by front row injuries.

Out of 160mins of Premier football, they were only able to scrum for 40mins in total.

A shame for both teams, but the Eagles are looking forward to getting a good workout against a very well developing Bulldogs scrum this weekend at The Kennel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGB I think it will be played at Kenmore - I think the goal posts are down at Sylvan Rd.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
- University fielded a team with an average age of 23 odd last year, including elder statesmen like Reuben Leilua (34?) and Dave McDuling (28ish?). Without those two the average age dropped to 21.

With a year's more experience and incredible depth I'd be putting my cash on University.

- Easts had the strongest squad last year, so they'll be right in it. Interested to see how Matt Gordon backs up his stellar, Kerevi-esque 2015.

- Bond nearly cracked the finals with incredible defence that was tested by a heavy injury toll. With a couple of brand new high profile youngsters the club will continue to get better and better. They'll make finals.

- I too have my doubts about Souths ability to back up. It was a dream run to finals that probably won't happen again for a while.

- Brothers missing Greene, Moloney, Knox et al will knock them out of the finals I think. Paddy James' development will probably be the key to how far this squad can go.

- Of Norths' list of Reds, only Duncan Paia'aua will play for the first half of the season. Jack Tuttle's shoulder surgery should keep him out, Tui and Hunt will be Reds mainstays, as will Matwijow while Douglas recovers. With just one extra star I don't see Norths fortunes changing too much.

- GPS will be interesting for the wild card fourth spot, but I'd be very happy to see Wests crack finals.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the impact on clubs missing their Under 20s stars is more significant than clubs missing their regular Reds game day squad players.

For example Bros won't see much of the Thor until about the end of June, Easts would love Mack Mason back before then, etc.

I don't know how the end of season lines up with Super Rugby but it's unlikely returning Reds will have a huge impact on the comp, having said that ChrisF-Sutia was the Tony Shaw medalist (GF MOM) in 2015.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Important dates:

Last day of U20RWC is 25/6/16;

Last round of Super Rugby is 15-17 July;

Last round of QPR is 16/7/16.

It will be interesting to see which clubs roll the dice with playing their Reds in the QPR finals - sometimes having guys come into settled sides can be fools gold!!!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Tongan Thor is still unavailable for national selection due to a contract he signed with the NZRU before joining the Reds. The ARU are working hard to resurrect the problem which might allow him to participate in 2016, however at this stage he won't be available for selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.