• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I wonder who Caleb Timu will align with, he played juniors at Sunnybank so that would seem a likely destination.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last Rounds QPR Review:

This week's teams:

Wests v Sunnybank
Kick-off: 3:20pm

Wests will host their third home game of the year as they take on Sunnybank at Kenmore. Wests head into the match after going down to top of the table University in Round 4, 35-17. Sunnybank on the other hand secured a convincing 42-28 win over Bond University at Oldmac Oval last weekend. The last time these two sides met in Round 11 during the 2015 season, they drew 22-all. Sunnybank hasn’t won away from home in 2016 so they’ll be yearning to buck the trend on Saturday.

Wests: Sione Na’a Helu, Cody Blackhurst, Jake Newell, Silas cocks, Rob Rutledge, Alec Fontalvo, Chanel Schmidt, Joel Brown, Tim Smith, Richard Aitsi, Reece Cleeton, Alex Jones, Tyrone Lefau, Byron Hutchinson, Siosi Lealiifano

Coach: Pat Byron

Sunnybank: Haydn Hirsimaki, Tom Mellor, Tereina McLean, Tuaina Tualima, Brendan Mitchell, George Bloemfield, Chazz Mahina, Jeffery Fa’amausili, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Jake Strachan, Ryan Menzies, Fred Dorrough, Dallas Anderson, Conrad Quick, Brando Va’alu

Coach: Rob Seib

Bond University v GPS

Bond University return home to Robina after suffering their third straight loss at the hands of Sunnybank in Round 4. The Gold Coast locals will have their hands full as they host GPS, who are hot off their first win of the season over Brothers. Bond will be bolstered by the presence of Queensland Under-20s front-rowers Josh Taylor and Alex Mafi.

Bond University: Josh Taylor, Alex Mafi, Sam Clifton, Sam Fattal, Jake Upfield, Stacey Hosking, Callum McDonald, Tai Ford, Vitori Buatava, Mitch Third, Tim Hindmash, TJ Siakisini, Brad Jones, Gus Qasevakatini, Waylen Skipps

Coach: Sean Hedger

GPS: Alex Holmes Feleti Kaitu’u, Ezrah Amituanai, Mitch Ebdon, Dan Gorman, Louis Wolfe, Waita Setu, Michael Richards, Radike Samo, Nigel Genia, Dan Early, Campbell Magnay, James Herbert, Chris Kuridrani, Rika Batibasaga, Todd Winkley

Coach: Todd Dammers

Brothers v Souths

Brothers will be happy to return to Jack Ross Oval in Round 5, following their narrow two-point loss to GPS last Saturday. The Brethren are undefeated at home in 2016 and have scored 14 tries from their two home matches. However, this Saturday should be a real challenge. They’ll welcome an undefeated Souths unit who are coming into the match fresh off the bye. With both sides equal on 13 competition points, this will be a defining fixture.

Brothers: Francois Postale, Matt Mafi, Dustin Henegan, Terrin Walls, Dave Henaway, Charles Freeney, Luke Beauchamp, Criff Tupou, Sam Grasso, Patrick James, Pierce Fitzgerald, Nathanuel Gendle, Elih Baillie, Mitch Felsman, Sam Hyne

Coach: Carl Marshall

Souths: Markus Vanzati, Alex Casey, Paulo Leleisiuao, Matt Bennett, Bruce Williamson, Simana Halaifonua, Jack Farrell, Johnny Kalauta, Scott Malolua, Paul Brown, Mika Tela, Ralph Evalu, Alex Ung, Andrew Muirhead, Kyle Blackman

Coach: Brett Picone

Easts v University of Queensland

Easts are yet to secure a victory in 2016 and this weekend won’t be easy. The Tigers are faced with a University of Queensland side that have won three on the trot and sit on top of the ladder. In Round 4, the Red Heavies travelled to Kenmore and accounted for Wests while Easts were went down to a much improved Norths side, going down 36–18. It will be top rung versus bottom rung of the ladder when these two teams meet on Saturday.

Easts: Richie Asiata, AJ Campbell, Sam Richards, Tyrell Barker, James Moore, Liam Wright, Michael Gunn, Tom Milosevic, Simon Gregg, Andrew Krelle, Michael Tweedy, David Skelton, Matt Carroll, Johnny Wilder, Elliot Hagen

Coach: Anthony Connellan

University of Queensland: Aaron Pleash, Lyall Fidow, Reuben Leilua, Patrick Morrey, Angus Scott-Young, Conor Mitchell, Jack de Guingand, Jack Cornelsen, Moses Sorovi, Alex Horan, Liam Jurd, Nathan Russell, Josh Birch, Tom Pincus, Tom Banks

Coach: Mick Heenan

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have tried staying off the forums but after watching the game of the round today on the reds site I was left ashamed of our great game. There was an incident where the sunnybank #1 knocked out the west #1 with a shoulder charge and elbow to the head. What I have a problem with is when the west player is lying out cold on the ground there is no sportsmenship or remorse shown by the sunnybank players as they are too busy high fiving their player. What makes it worse for me was the sunnybank fans carrying on like a bunch of animals screaming, cheering and beeping horns the entire time the west player is out on the ground receiving medical attention. I feel for the west player's family watching him lay out cold on the ground while sunnybank fans carry on like they did. Just thank goodness he eventual got up as we all know and I've witnessed some not so lucky to get up. Its beyond me how the sunnybank #1 only got penalised and got to finish a full game but the west #1 never returned to the field. If you missed it its on the reds YouTube and its 23min into the game. For a gentlemen's game sunnybank made it look heartless. If it was a fair hit I would have no problems carrying on but it was far from it.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just had a quick look for that on the Reds YouTube site. The game is up there. An absolute shocker of a call from the referee and an awful reaction from the players and crowd. I can't really make out what he said now correct me if I'm wrong but he says something to the tune of "you had two there in that one was marginal(????) and other was no arms, you made good contact..."...what sort of a talking to is that from a premier grade referee.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A game of two halves yesterday at Crosby Park. Brothers were ahead 29-3 at halftime. Souths came back and scored two quick second half tries. Andy Muirhead was Souths' best back. Unfortunately for the men in black the first half deficit was too much to claw back.

Brothers were awesome in the first half. Everything clicked. Grasso distributed the ball quickly onto Paddy James who set up his outside backs to score. Mitch Felsman again score a double.

Brothers have the bye coming up. Followed by Bond away in round 7.

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
How good is andy muirhead!! He is so frustrating to play and always makes something out of nothing! Other news gps had a hurdle on the weekend didn't start playing till the 70th minute! Goldy fielded a solid team with some of there good players back and always hard to go down there and not switch on and we got punished for it with a loss!

Dallan murphy back at brothers is good news he is class and when green gets back going to be hard to beat :(.

Watched the shoulder charge from feao from Sunnybank def no arms in it and surprised her didn't get a card! Good mates with both boys involved he apologised after which is good but with the good refs going up to super rugby in finding the new ones are struggling with consistency!! Let's hope they improve quick!

Anywayyyy the Comp is a lot closer this year across the board and hopefully the gallopers can have a few good weeks on the trot (pardon the pun)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Wests v Sunnybank - high scoring match there - must have been plenty of tries and less emphasis on defence.

Understand Easts pushed Uni on Saturday but five rounds in and zero competition points for Easts is amazing!

Brothers must be the team for everyone to beat - they are racking up some big scores.

With Souths losing, no longer any team undefeated.

At this early stage of the season only think you can say Wests and Easts won't play finals footy.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I was told yesterday that Phil Mooney is back coaching Wests.

Is that correct, and if so is he the head coach now? I thought Pat Byron was the coach?

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to see Uni had the prodigy of two Souths former Wallabies starting against Easts on the weekend - Alex Horan and Angus Scott-Young.

Bet Souths never thought Tim and Sam's sons would play anywhere but the club of their fathers.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Doesn't get any easier for Easts this weekend. Sunnybank will be aiming for three wins in a row. Plus, the Tigers will be without Gunn this weekend.

Souths v Bond is also a very important game for both teams.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
At this early stage of the season only think you can say Wests and Easts won't play finals footy.

Jamie sad but true Wests & Easts won't play finals footy.

I think the top 5 is set just a case of who will be in the 4 - I predict that Norths will drop out through inevitable injury/depth question which presents over a long season - but hope I am wrong.

Brothers would be my early pick to go all the way.

Souths have a battle on their hands and Bond & GPS will need to get on an extended run of 6/7 wins if they want to feature in finals but sadly for them I don't know whether they are consistent enough to do it.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure why you think Souths have such a battle. They have played some of the stroger teams so far and come away with 3 wins 1 lose. They now play most of the teams below them and should be in a strong position at the end of Round 1.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jamie sad but true Wests & Easts won't play finals footy.

I think the top 5 is set just a case of who will be in the 4 - I predict that Norths will drop out through inevitable injury/depth question which presents over a long season - but hope I am wrong.

Brothers would be my early pick to go all the way.

Souths have a battle on their hands and Bond & GPS will need to get on an extended run of 6/7 wins if they want to feature in finals but sadly for them I don't know whether they are consistent enough to do it.

Not sure why you think Souths have such a battle. They have played some of the stronger teams so far and come away with 3 wins 1 lose. They now play most of the teams below them and should be in a strong position at the end of Round 1.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
As an Eagle, I am quite happy with the 2nd Round Draw.

Will need to build some good momentum though to make it work for us.

5 of the 8 games will be at home with the 3 away ones being BOND, WESTS and GPS.

A feature of that will be the 3 home games in a row mid round, with a Bye Week in between.

BUT the rest of you buggers wont hand it to us, and we are working hard with the players to make sure they realise this.

Still plenty of football to play and to be honest, I still think it is open to anyone, even Easts. I wouldn't write them off just yet! If they sneak into 4th, they have some experience there still to possibly carry them through.

I agree, Brothers are a benchmark, as are UQ and obviously The Bank are doing good things. I think Bonus Points will be an important factor come round 18 and who pulls on the boots the following week.
Close loses and plenty of pies will help all teams a lot!!

If you make the trip to the Northern Nest at any stage this year, please make sure you stick around, have a quiet can (or a loud two) on the hill and enjoy the after match atmosphere with live music and some good company!!

P.S. I miss TT... especially now... :D

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A very important fixture for both Easts and Sunnybank. Both teams will be playing for the Rick Tyrell Cup. I think it's currently held by the Tigers.

Yes, I agree TrainerGB. There was a correlation between Easts' success and TT being on this forum. Last year in grand final week when he got the shits and left, his Tigers went onto receive a hidden by Souths. Since his absence, Easts have lost every game. Haha. TT's stirring up of other clubs must have given the Prem Boys confidence.

Sunnybank and Uni are looking good at the moment. Hope the Tigs can do us a favour.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure why you think Souths have such a battle. They have played some of the stroger teams so far and come away with 3 wins 1 lose. They now play most of the teams below them and should be in a strong position at the end of Round 1.

Settle Warhorse I think I still said Souths would make the 4 and all I was trying to say - not that I said it well - is that I believe in order to win the premiership you need a bit of luck I.e. Bounce of the ball, injuries being kind, form of the other teams who makes the 4, etc - for e.g. Easts ('13), Souths('15), Wests(06)

I don't wish ill on Souths I am just saying that just because the planets align in one year doesn't mean it will do so again the following year and unless you totally dominate the comp like Bros or Souths in the 70s, 80s, early 90s you simply won't win the Hospital Cup every year the comp is too even. Of more recent times Uni has struggled to win back to back.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the main reasons why teams won't achieve sustained Hospital Cup victories is the nature of professional rugby once guys do well and take their club to the top they get identified by one of the Aust franchises and they get lost to QPR but that's one of the things clubs should be striving for being a pathway to the higher level.

The greater good of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.