• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests still alive in the battle of avoiding the wooden spoon after Easts went down to Norths.

Norths 2 one point wins in 4 days v Wests & Easts. Well done to the Eagles.

Wests may still technically have a chance however in reality if nothing changes at the club then they are destined for the spoon. On Saturday they had one coach, Pat Byron in attendance. Wests have no forwards coach to start with and Phil Mooney was nowhere to be seen. If the coaches are not putting in the effort eventually the players also start to lose their resolve and passion. Things are looking bleak at the kennel.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
The updated table shows some incredible numbers.

Uni points for and against differential is now +210, more than double that of their nearest challenger Brothers on +104.

But there are only two other teams in positive territory Souths +54 and GPS +34.

Even more amazing is Sunnybank with -10.

Wests with -148 at bottom of the pack.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
West forward coach Evan Willis and Defence coach Drew Vautin departed at the end of last year, They were to be replaced by a coach with high level coaching experience in the UK. It didn't eventuate.

Coaching is only part of Wests problem. The main issue is depth. They have 2 x back rowers playing lock and a young and small front row.

The club is also split because of the ground development. Prem's, reserves and Colts at Toowong and the rest at Kenmore. This isnt helping with continuity and culture.

So Wests let their forwards coach go thinking they had a replacement who then decided that he wasn't going to take up the position? That's why
Wests have no forwards coach?

Coaching is the problem as what forward would move to Wests if they do not have a forwards coach? Who has Pat Byron been able to attract to the club?

I don't know if I would call the likes of Jewell, Danaher and Sione small and Blackhurst does not look like he is a featherweight either. The fact that they have no dedicated coach may be an issue though. On Saturday the Wests boys had one dedicated coach on the sideline, that's it.

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I haven't watched much of Wests this year but I've heard they demolished the uni scrum on the weekend. This year was always going to be hard for them with the redevelopment and being the only club in the competition not having any Reds representative players. Hopefully some of the new reds recruits will be pushed towards wests next year. One thing I will say is they're second rower with the red headgear has NRC all over him. Very impressive.

Now back to the real news how good are the yoku rd boys going? The last few games have been amazing to watch and great to see our boys enjoy footy again. I think we have finally found our 9/10 combination that will take us back to the finals.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I haven't watched much of Wests this year but I've heard they demolished the uni scrum on the weekend. .
Was actually the exact opposite of that for the first 50 min. Wests scrum got better when Johnny Helu came on and then became dominate for the last 30min when Uni made replacements to a front row that was already missing Maafu, Reuban, Pleash and Faagase.

Considering all the chat out of the kennel at the end of last year about scrums I have been really disappointed about how it has gone for them this year. Although playing 5 backrowers and not having a forwards coach could be some pretty good indicators of why.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I haven't watched much of Wests this year but I've heard they demolished the uni scrum on the weekend. This year was always going to be hard for them with the redevelopment and being the only club in the competition not having any Reds representative players. Hopefully some of the new reds recruits will be pushed towards wests next year. One thing I will say is they're second rower with the red headgear has NRC all over him. Very impressive.

Now back to the real news how good are the yoku rd boys going? The last few games have been amazing to watch and great to see our boys enjoy footy again. I think we have finally found our 9/10 combination that will take us back to the finals.

It has not been a great year for the Bulldogs.

GPS & Bond have been on the way up as Brothers seem to have stalled, Souths are just hanging on - plenty of footy to be played yet but as always the real battle will be making the top 4 and it would appear that only Uni are the only certainty at this stage but clearly 6 into 4 doesn't go. Having said that I think the current top 4 will ultimately get there.

The only teams that are gone are sadly Wests, Easts & Norths.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
On NRC for one moment I have heard that the Sydney Stars are no more - they have joined the NSW Country franchise.

Will be interesting to see whether There are a few of the Norths backs in the Bne/QC (Quade Cooper) squads this year. I don't know whether any Bulldogs will make it, Easts will still have a few in Ready, Gunn, Paraka, White but will Hagan & Gordon make the QC (Quade Cooper) squad.

Then there is the U20s - I see Gilmore who coached QC (Quade Cooper) & The Qld U20s is at the JRWC as an assistant so you would have to think that if he's the QC (Quade Cooper) coach that he would happily go at it with a swag of U20s.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
On NRC for one moment I have heard that the Sydney Stars are no more - they have joined the NSW Country franchise.

Will be interesting to see whether There are a few of the Norths backs in the Bne/QC (Quade Cooper) squads this year. I don't know whether any Bulldogs will make it, Easts will still have a few in Ready, Gunn, Paraka, White but will Hagan & Gordon make the QC (Quade Cooper) squad.

Then there is the U20s - I see Gilmore who coached QC (Quade Cooper) & The Qld U20s is at the JRWC as an assistant so you would have to think that if he's the QC (Quade Cooper) coach that he would happily go at it with a swag of U20s.
I have my doubts whether Gilmore will coach QC (Quade Cooper) again this year now that Bond have former Vikings Head Coach Brad Harris (finished second NRC 2015) and now coaching at Bond. They may want to give him a go? Besides that I think Gilmore has too much on his plate as he would be looking at the next years Qld and possibly Aus u20's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
I actually don't think the top 4 is assured (bar Uni).
Souths v brothers will be the interesting one. Will be great to see the filth knock Souths out of the park Saturday. Apparently Souths have dramas up there with rumours that van Humphries has walked away due to the incompetence of the head coach.
GPS will make the 4 as they still have games in hand over Sunnybank and brothers.
Dammers Magic is beginning to come to fruition, well it must be anyways cause all you haters have gone real quiet!!!!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am not a "Dammers Hater" - don't know the bloke from a bar of soap but he's not done anything more at GPS than many before have done - that is get GPS to finish 4th/5th.

Shane Arnold was the only coach to get them to a GF in the last 20 years.

Good luck to Dammers 2016 side but I don't think they'll be there on the first Sunday in August at 3:00pm.

I think it will be a Uni v Souths GF.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I actually don't think the top 4 is assured (bar Uni).
Souths v brothers will be the interesting one. Will be great to see the filth knock Souths out of the park Saturday. Apparently Souths have dramas up there with rumours that van Humphries has walked away due to the incompetence of the head coach.
GPS will make the 4 as they still have games in hand over Sunnybank and brothers.
Dammers Magic is beginning to come to fruition, well it must be anyways cause all you haters have gone real quiet!!!!

or maybe Van is gone due to his incompetency?

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe van did leave under those circumstances... I highly doubt it though...
If GPS are to sneak into the 4 they win it.. No doubt at all.. Should have beaten Uni when they met at yoku road.
Last 4 weeks have beaten 3 of 4 top 4 teams..
Balky more will come alive when filth v GPS in the gf!!!!!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Maybe van did leave under those circumstances. I highly doubt it though.
If GPS are to sneak into the 4 they win it.. No doubt at all.. Should have beaten Uni when they met at yoku road.
Last 4 weeks have beaten 3 of 4 top 4 teams..
Balky more will come alive when filth v GPS in the gf!!!!!
It will be good to see how GPS do against Bond this weekend as Bond nearly caused an upset against Uni and beat Sunnybank last weekend not to mention beating them in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
I am not a "Dammers Hater" - don't know the bloke from a bar of soap but he's not done anything more at GPS than many before have done - that is get GPS to finish 4th/5th.

Shane Arnold was the only coach to get them to a GF in the last 20 years.

Good luck to Dammers 2016 side but I don't think they'll be there on the first Sunday in August at 3:00pm.

I think it will be a Uni v Souths GF.
Brothers in front with less than a minute to go. Terrin Walls (Brothers 2nd row) knocked out cold on Brothers line with GPS pressing. Jeeps coach Dammers runs straight out and onto field and attends to the young man in trouble directly in front of him. Class act. Well done and thank you. Not a comment wrt coaching but everything rugby is about.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Dizzle, you'll have to beat a rampaging Bond this weekend before you speak about finals. You'll be praying that the Doggies knock the Bank off as well!

Hope Brothers don't make it four in a row this weekend against Souths. Taniela Tupou will most likely have a week on the sideline as a red (two yellows in his case) is an automatic suspension?

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
Yes big game against bond.. Not sweating on sunny banks result as they are still to have the bye. But yes don't want a slip up this weekend.
If Souths lose this weekend though and the bank and GPS win well they are on skates. Especially considering the coach public ally says back to back will not be a problem....

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes big game against bond.. Not sweating on sunny banks result as they are still to have the bye. But yes don't want a slip up this weekend.
If Souths lose this weekend though and the bank and GPS win well they are on skates. Especially considering the coach public ally says back to back will not be a problem..

Dizzle for someone who doesn't like criticiem (i.e. your "Dammers Haters" comment) you don't seem to mind dishing it out to the Souths coaches.

Having said that going back to back is a tough ask - I think I said as much a while back because to win any premiership you need some luck and I think Souths had plenty in their run home in 2015 - I am not saying that they weren't deserved premiers in 2015 - I am just saying that the planets may have aligned for them last year.

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
H
Dizzle for someone who doesn't like criticiem (i.e. your "Dammers Haters" comment) you don't seem to mind dishing it out to the Souths coaches.

Having said that going back to back is a tough ask - I think I said as much a while back because to win any premiership you need some luck and I think Souths had plenty in their run home in 2015 - I am not saying that they weren't deserved premiers in 2015 - I am just saying that the planets may have aligned for them last year.

Haha bulldog you are onto me!!!
Souths were the best/luckiest team for 4 weeks last season.
Do agree they were the better team on gf day.
However pressure is no mounting at choosy wood and another loss will tighten the noose

Status
Not open for further replies.