• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
we gace
My QPR team of the year

Let me start off by saying that I have not seen each team equally, but I have seen each team at least twice (except for GPS). My team is dominated by UQ but there are definately alot of good players that deserve mention also.

Front Row

1. Feao Fotuaika (Sunnybank)
2. Tonga Ma'afu (Uni)
3. Pat Fepuleai (Uni)

Don't know much about props but Uni's scrum seems good as well as Sunnybank. Feao is a dominant ball carrier and defender and has caught my eye this year.

Second Row

4. Pat Morrey (Uni)
5. Rubin Fuimaono (Bond)

Morrey has played backrow also, but I'd have him as a lock. Morrey bagged 11 pies & Fuimaono was integral to Bond's pack-orientated gameplan.

Backrow

6. Tai Ford (Bond)
7. Jack De Guingand (Uni)
8. Jeff Faamausili (Sunnybank)

The whole Uni backrow could've been selected here, and Brothers Criff Tupou & Luke Beauchamp deserve mention. I've picked Tai Ford from Bond who was close to best on ground in each game I saw Bond in. De Guingand is a genuine pilferer who seems to have no regard for his body, always on the ball. Faamausali was crucial to Sunnybanks rolling maul & exit piece, taking strong carries and impressing.

Halfback

9. Issak Fines

No player was as crucial as Fines was to Sunnybank's success this year. Up-tempo fast play was structured around Fines, as well as counter attack with Fines dropping back to return kicks. He was outstanding.

Scott Gale (Uni), Nick Chapman (Norths) & Scott Malolua (Souths) deserve mention. Gale was on Reds duties for part of the season, Malolua was reliable as ever and Chapman was impressive as a half with a running game.

Flyhalf

10. Jake Strachan (Sunnybank)

Tough decision as Paddy James (Brothers), Teti Tela (Souths), James Dalgleish (Uni) also impressed but they didnt play the whole season at 10. Jake stepped up to Prem grade and was a running 10 who had a gun leg.

Wings

11. Mitch Felsman (Brothers)
14. Tom Pincus (Uni)

Felsman (20 tries) is a no brainer. Must be the fastest player and the most lethal finisher in the QPR. Improved defence this year also. Pincus's boot is a radar, and also had a decent year in the try scorer stakes.

Mika Tela (Souths), Alex Gibbon (Norths), Waylen Skipps (Bond) also impressed. Chris Kuridrani (GPS) probably had a good year too.

Centres

12. Nate Russell (Uni) & Duncan Paia'aua (Norths)

Can't split these 2. Both playmaking 12's who shoulder alot of the attack. DP was hot helping get Norths a few wins early, and Russell is becoming one of the best players in the comp.

Gendle (Brothers) is a defensive & bash it up 12 who put in a good year also.

13. Levi Aumua (Souths)

Hard to pick a 13, as most sides had alot of rotation in the position. Aumua was a strong runner with big upside. Hard to leave out Josh Birch (UQ) and didnt see enough of Tyrone Lefau (Wests)

Fullback

15. Tom Banks (UQ)

Elusive fullback had a great year with UQ, earned Reds call up.

Andy Muirhead (Souths) would have been a contender (injured), Jack Tuttle (Norths) and Junior Laloifi (S'bank) were beasts but didnt play enough games. Hagen (Easts), Hutchinson (Wests) didnt see enough of.

Dominated by UQ to be expected. Is there anyone that I've missed that played most of the season that anyone would pick?[/quot

Pat at tighthead prop? wow QPR must be thin on props if hes the top guy.
Nothing about Vanzati? he's easily the best LHP in the comp?

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Am hearing that we have picked up an experienced coach at professional level to replace Dammers.

Also told today an experienced forwards coach from 'out of town' will take over as head coach at Wests with Pat Byron moving to backs coach role as he's too busy with family and school job to continue as head coach.

Any more news on the coaching moves at Wests Jamie8?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from the Grand Final:

Flickr or Facebook

28833388985_fa44a40e3e_c_d.jpg

28224840724_43dceb97e7_c_d.jpg

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It was a great day on Sunday for Brothers supporters and players.
A seven year premiership drought broken. To beat the old enemy made it that bit sweeter. Both teams played each other in 5 GF's along the grades. Bros 3 UQ 2. Students won their first RG GF in 30 odd years apparently.

Stefano Hunt and Taniela Tupou were the Brethren's best on the day. Brothers forwards certainly turned up physically. That's were I think UQ lost the edge. Mind you, their backs were very good at certain periods of the game. The fly-half directed them well. Tom Banks was very dangerous as usual.

Great to see the Reds bringing Tim Horan and Reg into the commentating box. Good job fellas.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
My QPR team of the year

Let me start off by saying that I have not seen each team equally, but I have seen each team at least twice (except for GPS). My team is dominated by UQ but there are definately alot of good players that deserve mention also.

Front Row

2. Tonga Ma'afu (Uni)
3. Pat Fepuleai (Uni)

Don't know much about props but Uni's scrum seems good as well as Sunnybank. Feao is a dominant ball carrier and defender and has caught my eye this year.

Second Row

4. Pat Morrey (Uni)
5. Rubin Fuimaono (Bond)

Morrey has played backrow also, but I'd have him as a lock. Morrey bagged 11 pies & Fuimaono was integral to Bond's pack-orientated gameplan.

Backrow

6. Tai Ford (Bond)

The whole Uni backrow could've been selected here, and Brothers Criff Tupou & Luke Beauchamp deserve mention. I've picked Tai Ford from Bond who was close to best on ground in each game I saw Bond in. De Guingand is a genuine pilferer who seems to have no regard for his body, always on the ball. Faamausali was crucial to Sunnybanks rolling maul & exit piece, taking strong carries and impressing.

Halfback

9. Issak Fines

No player was as crucial as Fines was to Sunnybank's success this year. Up-tempo fast play was structured around Fines, as well as counter attack with Fines dropping back to return kicks. He was outstanding.

Scott Gale (Uni), Nick Chapman (Norths) & Scott Malolua (Souths) deserve mention. Gale was on Reds duties for part of the season, Malolua was reliable as ever and Chapman was impressive as a half with a running game.

Flyhalf

Tough decision as Paddy James (Brothers), Teti Tela (Souths), James Dalgleish (Uni) also impressed but they didnt play the whole season at 10. Jake stepped up to Prem grade and was a running 10 who had a gun leg.

Wings

14. Tom Pincus (Uni)

Felsman (20 tries) is a no brainer. Must be the fastest player and the most lethal finisher in the QPR. Improved defence this year also. Pincus's boot is a radar, and also had a decent year in the try scorer stakes.

Mika Tela (Souths), Alex Gibbon (Norths), Waylen Skipps (Bond) also impressed. Chris Kuridrani (GPS) probably had a good year too.

Centres

Can't split these 2. Both playmaking 12's who shoulder alot of the attack. DP was hot helping get Norths a few wins early, and Russell is becoming one of the best players in the comp.

13. Levi Aumua (Souths)

Hard to pick a 13, as most sides had alot of rotation in the position. Aumua was a strong runner with big upside. Hard to leave out Josh Birch (UQ) and didnt see enough of Tyrone Lefau (Wests)

Fullback

15. Tom Banks (UQ)

Andy Muirhead (Souths) would have been a contender (injured), Jack Tuttle (Norths) and Junior Laloifi (S'bank) were beasts but didnt play enough games. Hagen (Easts), Hutchinson (Wests) didnt see enough of.

Dominated by UQ to be expected. Is there anyone that I've missed that played most of the season that anyone would pick?

Waterboy. Would you like the opportunity to revise your starting 8 ?

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Waterboy, thought I would jump on the bandwagon as well and have not included any Reds players (My selections and thoughts in italics):

My QPR team of the year

Front Row

2. Tonga Ma'afu (Uni)
3. Pat Fepuleai (Uni)

1. Feao Fotuaika
2. Tonga Ma'afu
3. Tereina McLean (Sunnybank)

I too know very little about the dark arts but the 3 I have named were who I believed to be the most consistent. Didnt really see alot of the others. Liked the kid Vaiomanu who came off the bench for UQ but obviously needs to do a bit more conditioning wise.

Second Row

4. Pat Morrey (Uni)
5. Rubin Fuimaono (Bond)

4. Pat Morrey
5. Matt Bennett (Souths)

Morrey was outstanding for UQ whether he played in the row or in the loose! Fuimaono is past it and not of Premier standard. Physical impact but just keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Matt Bennett I thought I was consistent week in week out leading Souths. I was also a fan of Henaway from Brothers - tough and uncompromising

Backrow

6. Tai Ford (Bond)

6. Conor Mitchell (UQ)
7. Charlie Freney (Brothers)
8. Isireli Naisarani? (Souths)

Agree re UQ and Brothers backrowers - thought Naisarani was a real powerful workhorse for Souths this year

Halfback

9. Issak Fines

9. Issak Fines (Sunnybank)

Noone came close to Fines, would have given him a Reds contract as opposed to Sorovi. Fines has the most well rounded games of the 9s in Premier period. Next best is Chapman from Norths then daylight to the rest.

Flyhalf

10. Stefano Hunt (Brothers)

I am personally not a big fan but I think it was a master stroke playing Hunt at 10 and James at 15. Made Brothers backs far more potent not only in broken play but also with Hunt's ability to play close to the defensive line
Dalgleish was consistent for UQ too. No other 10s really stood out for mine

Wings

14. Tom Pincus (Uni)

11. Gus Qasavakatini (Bond)
14. Jock Campbell (UQ)

Tela and Skipps had good seasons as did Gibbon, Pincus is always solid but Campbell was the most consistent and I thought Harry Parker returning from injury absolutely destroyed Premier Reserve along with Jack Curtin. Gus and Jock were the standouts for me though the Bond boy needs to work on his defensive work and positioning

Centres

12. Nate Russell

Russell easily the standout and the next best for me was Gendle who always offers stability

13. Levi Aumua (Souths)

13. Tyrone Lefau (Wests)

Lefau playing in a side that was often well and truly beaten was a real standout with his strong attacking game and was not often bettered defensively. How much more prominent would he be in a team that used his abilities better!

Fullback

15. Tom Banks (UQ)

15. Tom Banks

Banks was head and shoulders above anyone else in his position. Muirhead not being injured also hurt Souths and shows how much he was missed.

Dominated by UQ to be expected. Is there anyone that I've missed that played most of the season that anyone would pick?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
My QPR team of the year

Front Row

2. Tonga Ma'afu (Uni)
3. Pat Fepuleai (Uni)

Don't know much about props but Uni's scrum seems good as well as Sunnybank. Feao is a dominant ball carrier and defender and has caught my eye this ?

Good write up water boy, however given what happened on the weekend I know of 3 men that couldn't wait to get off the field; & I'll give u a hint; it wasn't the Brothers front row. They owned the scrum on the weekend. Their general play was also very very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Good write up water boy, however given what happened on the weekend I know of 3 men that couldn't wait to get off the field; & I'll give u a hint; it wasn't the Brothers front row. They owned the scrum on the weekend. Their general play was also very very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep and I reckon I'll have the 5 blokes behind them in the butcher stripes. That will do me.

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Would be interesting to see how this team of rejects would shape up against the "QLD Premier Rugby Barbarians" and NRC teams.

QPR REJECTS

1 Pat Fepuliai
2 Ryan Freney
3 Sione Naa Helu
4 Daniel Gorman
5 Dave Heneway
6 Lagi Setu
7 Charlie Freney
8 Jeffery Faamasili
9 Nigel Genia
10 Stefano Hunt
11 Mitch Felsman
12 Paul Brown
13 Thomas Pincus
14 Elliott Hagen
15 Byron Hutchinson

16 Maile Ngauamo
17 Freddy Burke
18 AJ Campbell
19 Robert Rutledge
20 Tai Ford
21 Vitori Buatava
22 Somi Pulu
23 Mika Tela

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well said Red Heavy - it's not a representative side it's a composite side where they have sort to give all clubs a go.

Great experience for these guys who won't be part of the NRC.

and "get lost" to blokes who refused to play cos they didn't get a NRC deal!
Spoilt children...

Status
Not open for further replies.