• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
TOCC I never said Australia rugby doesn't need them. My tongue in cheek comment was in regard to Brisbane club rugby and a discussion about a hypothetical cull which saw Logan Saints being axed. I understand their contribution to the NRC from a sponsorship aspect. I just don't see how they fit exactly into Brisbane club rugby when they might be better served playing on the Gold Coast.

You seem passionate about the Bond program. Always thought you was a Souths man.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Could not have put it better TOCC. Bond had 3 of their 4 teams in the play offs last year, 5 players in the Aus u20 that were in Colts last year and missed most of the Prem season this year, 10 (may be more) played Super u20's this year. The average Colts 1 age this year is 17 and they beat Sunnybank last week, 4 Super Rugby contracted players & 6 or 7 playing in the NRC not to mention the sponsorships. Why would you cut them? Southern X should run a rap sheet on a few of the other clubs and see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another passionate Bond rugby fan.

Sorry if you think i insulted your team. May I ask who your traditional rival is? Which Brisbane club do the Bond boys get fired up for the most.

In my dream scenario of Australian rugby. There'd be a club competition and a University competition. I'm not a fan of these supposed grassroots programs having multi million dollar corporations(campuses) backing them... but that's just me.

T

TOCC

Yeah i guess i believe that Bond, and their broader investment in Australian Rugby is closely linked to their ongoing participation in the QPR, and when discussing the merits of kicking them out of the comp, it's certainly a factor which needs to be considered. If the QRU were to cut the Gold Coast, i firmly believe that it would have ramifications on the other level of sponsorship that Bond hold with the QRU and ultimately the ARU.

Maybe thats where they fit into the Brisbane Club Rugby scene, their investment at other levels offsets any of the potential costs of having them. I also think its imperative to maintain a development pathway on the Gold Coast which goes right up to QPR.

I am a Souths fan, but i also have an appreciation of the unprecedented level of funding that Bond has poured into the game in recent years.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry TOCC I just reread my original post buddy. I didn't make myself clear. When I said we have a NRC comp that focus on regional rugby (NRC) as opposed to the local rugby scene.

I was hinting that perhaps Bond be more of a NRC team and that scrapping them from the Brisbane club rugby. They can serve a purpose for Queensland rugby but yet go back to one of the local Gold Coast comps.

Anyways we all know that's not going to happen. Bond is here to stay. Apologise for rocking any boats.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry TOCC I just reread my original post buddy. I didn't make myself clear. When I said we have a NRC comp that focus on regional rugby (NRC) as opposed to the local rugby scene.

I was hinting that perhaps Bond be more of a NRC team and that scrapping them from the Brisbane club rugby. They can serve a purpose for Queensland rugby but yet go back to one of the local Gold Coast comps.

Anyways we all know that's not going to happen. Bond is here to stay. Apologise for rocking any boats.
You never rocked any boats. Just get off your high horse and don't look down on the Gold Coast like it's an orphaned cousin that's not worthy of sitting at the same table as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Southern X and Bulldogs, I am wrapt that Wests have enjoyed a stellar year this year given there was some lean years recently. No one from the Gold Coast suggested Wests should get the boot. Agree this year is Bond's leanest year yet with Premier claiming the wooden spoon for what I believe is the first time in its short 20 year history. How does one bum season equate to no longer being QPR material?
I would have thought the reserve grade and premier colts success you mention would indicate a solid foundation to building a strong premier team. I could be wrong.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am not for any contraction of the competition. I support Logan Saints being promoted and i merely floated the contrarian viewpoint about Bond leaving because TOCC and others were talking about Darling Downs not being a good idea because what it means to be playing in that regional community.

I do hold some jealousy the fact that Bond University is plastered on the front of the NRC Country jersey & knowing how your club use to be called the Gold Coast Breakers & with the name change you are getting a free advertising for player recruitment.

Crusher you've been lurking around this message boards for a long time. Your a passionate fan.I respect your opinion so I'm sorry that my remark has spiralled off the way it has.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I am not for any contraction of the competition. I support Logan Saints being promoted and i merely floated the contrarian viewpoint about Bond leaving because TOCC and others were talking about Darling Downs not being a good idea because what it means to be playing in that regional community.

I do hold some jealousy the fact that Bond University is plastered on the front of the NRC Country jersey & knowing how your club use to be called the Gold Coast Breakers & with the name change you are getting a free advertising for player recruitment.

Crusher you've been lurking around this message boards for a long time. Your a passionate fan.I respect your opinion so I'm sorry that my remark has spiralled off the way it has.

No harm done SX, we are just vocal advocates for our respective clubs! I wish we were better at utilising that 'free advertising' in terms of recruiting. I am not as active in the club as I used to be and I struggle to understand how Bond have ended up in this position given the strong position the club found itself in last season with 3 teams playing finals and Premier missing out on points differential. Bond's coaching group would be under the most pressure given we have head coaches presiding over the Senior and Colts programs with Super rugby and overseas coaching experience

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry SX for starting that.

Look I don't for one minute deny the great contribution that Bond has made to Qld/Aust rugby its just that I don't think they themselves would mind if their club side was not such a loss ($$) leader. Bond Uni would probably be happy enough with the NRC, the Aust U20s & the Women's 7s, and just run a low budget team/s in the SEQ PR (see below).

The Brisbane clubs get nothing in terms of $$ from the ARU/QRU they all need new revenue streams (Wests aside). I'd say that the regional rugby bases could also do with new revenue streams.

One way of doing this is to give them more QPR content (i.e. more home games) - cut the comp to 8 teams with 3 rounds of 7 games - a 21 week completion plus finals?

And my 4 Premier Rugby competitions in Qld:
Bne PR;
SEQ PR;
DD PR;
NQ PR
would give an opportunity to regional rugby to gather sponsorship locally.

Play a super bowl over two weekends at seasons end - week 1 regionally & week 2 at Ballymore.

The Reds & U20s can be linked with any PR clubs across the state - not necessarily just Brisbane - given the amount of clubs games that they play. This would also give regional rugby a greater connection with the Reds.

This is not about one club/entity this is about making the game of rugby great again in Qld.

It also keeps the 18-20 year old kid who goes home from Boarding school playing the game at a reasonably high standard rather than leaving the game forever.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
We all know that this won't be the path taken but in the context of the cricket & NRL pay disputes where providing money for grass roots was one of the issues on the table - I ask what can be done for grassroots rugby?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
News out of Yoku is that Mitch King could be ruled out of the GF with a grade 2 hamstring injury. He is a massive loss and can't be replaced. Poor guy can't take a break. Not great news for reggies either as they will be trying to qualify for the big one on Sunday after a heartbreaking loss last week and could lose a senior player for the clash v Easts.

T

TOCC

Perhaps another thread is needed for ideas for fantasy competiton ideas... it's semi-final week

T

TOCC

News out of Yoku is that Mitch King could be ruled out of the GF with a grade 2 hamstring injury. He is a massive loss and can't be replaced. Poor guy can't take a break. Not great news for reggies either as they will be trying to qualify for the big one on Sunday after a heartbreaking loss last week and could lose a senior player for the clash v Easts.

Really unfortunate news for the guy, had him pencilled in as a starter in the NRC

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Whole idea of dropping Bond is just plain ridiculous. The GC is a rugby league heartland and we need a stake hold in that area. Imagine if we managed to get half of the TSS first XV every year with some players not in NRL systems from Keebra, Palm Beach etc? Their player base is already growing with their scholarship program. Weakening that region would be a huge loss for Australian rugby, let alone Queensland.

underthesticks

Bob McCowan (2)

How's the rest of the GPS back row stock looking? Havelu has left hasn't he? Also any news on Waita Setu or Enzo's availability?

James Small

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree. There needs to be a concerted effort to keep teams like Bond & Logan in the comp and a greater focus on regional clubs like Rangers that are in an Rugby league heartland. Rangers have produced some really good players in years gone by. Players like Rod Davies and most recently Jameson Schultz come to mind. This is the result of good junior programs (apologies for the "p" word but couldn't find a more suitable one) and people who are passionate about developing young players. Progression pathways were made available for these young players by clubs like Wests.

Imagine if a club like Rangers could have captured a player like Matt Parcell as a junior. Instead he has been lost to the Ipswich Jests and ultimately Manley Sea Eagles.

If rugby union could attract 10% of the league kids in areas like Ipswich by offering an alternative to league we could see some good numbers going into Bribane clubs like Logan & Wests.

Sadly there has been a decline in junior rugby clubs like Karana Downs and Riverview providing fewer options for juniors that want play rugby. That is true grassroots rugby.

Fix that and we won't have to worry about the future of clubs like Logan.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I have just heard that there is a $ entry charge to watch all the finals at Ballymore tomorrow. Can someone confirm please and how much is it?
I have also heard you have to pay for parking, again, can someone please confirm. Thanks
Was thinking of going to spend the day there and watch some good club rugby finals, but this may change my plans

Status
Not open for further replies.