• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here you go.

596e7604868514d52bef9311e5be70d8.png

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not so sure Uni will do a number on the Bank if the Bank forwards belt the young students. The students don't seem to want to know about it if the opposition are brutal in defence. My advice would be to "bash" Uni (legally of course) and slow down the ball to the Uni backs..not that I know anything

No bashings by the look of the result. I didn't go. Did you see it? Anything to suggest any different from the major semi?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have just heard that there is a $ entry charge to watch all the finals at Ballymore tomorrow. Can someone confirm please and how much is it?
I have also heard you have to pay for parking, again, can someone please confirm. Thanks
Was thinking of going to spend the day there and watch some good club rugby finals, but this may change my plans

I think it shows little respect for the rugby community to charge entry to the finals. At the preliminary finals there were more people in the ticket booth and security than there was watching the earlier games!

The staffing bill for an hour would have been $1,000/$1,500 and they weren't taking that in ticket sales.

And what about the line up to get a beer during the Prems major and minor semis - they really need to do this better.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is just another way in which the QRU uses the grass roots goodwill to raise money to prop up a dysfunctional/unprofitable/unsustainable professional rugby operation.

Neil Breen asked Cheika on the channel 9 sports show yesterday - why grass roots rugby gets nothing from the ARU but we pay David Poecock $800k to be on sabbatical?

Things do need to change.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is just another way in which the QRU uses the grass roots goodwill to raise money to prop up a dysfunctional/unprofitable/unsustainable professional rugby operation.

Neil Breen asked Cheika on the channel 9 sports show yesterday - why grass roots rugby gets nothing from the ARU but we pay David Poecock $800k to be on sabbatical?

Things do need to change.

Last year there was 8k at the GF. That $100k odd can do a lot in grassroots rugby. I certainly don't mind paying and I doubt it turned any punters around.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Enzo should be okay come Sunday is battling a bit of a lower leg injury but is making good progress. Setu is playing and Richo should be fine as well. Mitch King is doing everything in his power to be right for the GF. Going to be a great Sunday arvo with Prems and Reggies playing in the big one. I hope Herbie has enough beer for the celebrations, going to be a massive night.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last year there was 8k at the GF. That $100k odd can do a lot in grassroots rugby. I certainly don't mind paying and I doubt it turned any punters around.

That's the thing mate it doesn't go to grassroots it goes to propping up the Reds.

If there weren't all the Brothers juniors and their families at the GF last year you wouldn't have got 8,000.

Maybe Andrew Slack's column from last Sunday hit the nail on the head- people that is real rugby people have disengaged from Rugby in Aust above club level and take their fix through Club, School & Junior rugby they aren't interested in the NRC, Super Rugby and it kills me to say it but the Wallabies as well.

It will be really interesting to see what crowds they get to NRC games across the nation - maybe the Perth Spirit will be the team with the most to play for - maybe I will watch the Melb v Perth NRC game.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, last year's GF had more than that. About 9,200+ spectators according to QRU ticket sales. They were expecting over 10,000 at one stage because it is a big rivalry.

This weekend will pull big numbers. There will be a lot of Jeeps fans.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's the thing mate it doesn't go to grassroots it goes to propping up the Reds.

If there weren't all the Brothers juniors and their families at the GF last year you wouldn't have got 8,000.

Maybe Andrew Slack's column from last Sunday hit the nail on the head- people that is real rugby people have disengaged from Rugby in Aust above club level and take their fix through Club, School & Junior rugby they aren't interested in the NRC, Super Rugby and it kills me to say it but the Wallabies as well.

It will be really interesting to see what crowds they get to NRC games across the nation - maybe the Perth Spirit will be the team with the most to play for - maybe I will watch the Melb v Perth NRC game.

Agree with Slacks point. I'm in two minds about the NRC. As a rugby nut I'll be at all the City games however I don't expect huge crowds. Sheffield Shield cricket doesn't pull a crowd but it develops the next crop but I also agree with Peter Playford that says wen need to produce our own content and really push this product.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interested to read recently that Matho said with so many of the Perth guys in the side this GPS side is not burdened by the GPS expectations as were previous sides e.g. 2013 who were Minor Premiers & Welsby Cup winners but lost the big one.

It's interesting that both GPS & Uni have had issues getting the job done when it matters most in their last GFs - GPS (2013) & Uni(2016).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it'll be GPS as well.

2 best teams are meeting in the grand final. University were so dominate this year but their kryptonite seems to be a redhot emerald and saphire galloper from Yoku Road.

If i'm giving a score prediction it'll be in the 10-13 points range.

Can't wait for the front row battle and any counter attacking from either backline. There's some real pace on both teams out wide.

T

TOCC

Yeah I'm expecting it to be GPS, maybe Mathison has the Midas touch

Also be interesting to see a few Brisbane City selection battles out there, between the two teams you have almost have the Brisbane City squad, and both the coach and assistant coach. Bodes well for Brisbane City in the NRC

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I am picking GPS in a close one. The GPS pack are the key though UQ showed a lot more resilience against the Dragons big pack who were disappointing for mine. UQ backs get some quick ball and a bit of space, could be a different story.
With regards to Bond have heard whispers former national U20 coach Adrian Thompson will play a bigger role at Bond in 2018. Not sure what if anything this means for incumbent Sean Hedger but there appears to be movement in the ranks.

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
Want to see how to win a grand final? Just open a can of whoop-ass like 4th-placed Souths did to the minor premiers in 2015.
Still gives me nightmares!

Status
Not open for further replies.