• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A birdie tells me that GPS & Easts will have the services of a few Reds Squad members for the remainder of QPR - they have been told that they no longer need to front at Herston in 2017, and they've even been asked not to use the gym at Ballymore.

They include guys who have played for the Barbarians & the Wallabies in the last 12 months.

If this is true I think it's extraordinary.

What's happening at Ballymore with recruitment & retention?

Are the people making these decisions safe themselves? Or are they simply sabotaging the careers of young home grown talent?

Are the Reds any better now than they were under Richard Graham?

Why do they continue to lose young talent and recruit older rugby statesmen in their place?

Who has greater pull at Ballymore the Coach or is it the Wallaby Captain(who may himself feel threatened by some of the talent in the squad)?

To me this is just canablism.

Ready and Gunn have been sent back to clubland "so they better appreciate the privilege of a professional career"

"Coach Nick Stiles believes both young forwards can be better than they've shown and is determined to crank up their hunger."

fair enough too

TBOY

Bob McCowan (2)
In respect to ready a disapointing outcome created from the qld reds path to retirement plan that the qld reds created for stephen Moore. A qld player who invested his best years in another state. My tip , ready to re find career success elsewhere , .... who would blame him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports I hear about Ready is that, when confronted with a challenge and a chance to either step up and be counted or drop the shoulders, chose the latter.

Hopefully he comes back fitter than ever because he's got the chance to definitely still play for the Wallabies this year. He's just got to realise he has to work hard at it and not expect it to be given to him.

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ready is a far better hooker than moore. Very bad investment for reds getting moore because if ready leaves we are in a bad way hooker wise.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gunn must have got the message because he was best on ground at Sylvan Rd recently and I believe again in Easts win over Brothers.

It is clearly an unknown factor as to whether he can take the step up to Super Rugby but he has been a very consistent QPR player since 2013 when he was the Tony Shaw medalist in the GF. And his tackle on Rod Davies was an all time QPR highlight.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
Ready and Gunn have been sent back to clubland "so they better appreciate the privilege of a professional career"

"Coach Nick Stiles believes both young forwards can be better than they've shown and is determined to crank up their hunger."

fair enough too

Can the same be done for Nick Stiles? perhaps him and Mick Heenan could swap for a bit so he can appreciate the privilege of a professional career himself?

Seems Mr Stiles is a big fan of throwing players under the bus rather than accepting responsibility for what he's doing or done wrong.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Maybe Stiles & o'rs need to just watch some QPR games.

It does seem that Stiles is made of teflon!!!!

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gunn was good against us and is always a hand full to play against! Tackles hard and runs just as hard! They do have good back row stocks at the reds tbf

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Neither Moore nor Ready are mobile enough for my liking. The best teams have hookers that are more akin to flankers than props. NZ teams are leading the way in this regard, which is part of why they are the best.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ready is very good over the ball at the breakdown - I'd say he'd have good stats in Super Rugby for this KPI. He was a flanker at GT in his schoolboy rugby days.

I think Stiles was his 1st XV coach at GT.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
He's lost speed, agility and game awareness since his GT days then, and his ability over the ball is reasonable but only on the odd occasion that the ruck occurs next to him. His other stats for 2017 are less than impressive - missing 25% of his tackles and averaging about 1m for each of his 23 carries this year.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can the same be done for Nick Stiles? perhaps him and Mick Heenan could swap for a bit so he can appreciate the privilege of a professional career himself?

Seems Mr Stiles is a big fan of throwing players under the bus rather than accepting responsibility for what he's doing or done wrong.

The whole "we need to toughen them up" kind of attitude just doesn't necessarily work with everybody. If that's the only way you know how to coach (and given Stiles' well-documented penchant for public humiliations of his players, the evidence suggests that for him, it is), then you aren't going to get the best out of your players.

Anybody that's worked in an capacity that involves teaching/training/mentoring young people, knows that different people respond to different sorts of criticism. Maybe Stiles has tried other ways to resolve the problem, but from everything he projects to the media, I really doubt it.

The idea that any kind of professional sporting organisation is best served by a return to amateur thinking is frankly laughable.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Look coaching a Super Rugby side is clearly not easy - well coaching an Australian franchise.

In the 70s, 80s & 90s Aust had great coaches - Marks, Templeton, Dwyer, Jones, Connelly, McQueen, etc that got the best out of their players, teams and other coaches.

My concern is that Aust wide do we have quality coaches who not only understand the modern game but also the modern youth.

The talent pool can't be different to what it was in the 70s-90s so what has changed?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyhow we are moving away from QPR which returns this week with some intriguing Round 14 match ups with Top 4 consequence with each result.

Bros v Bond;
Easts v Norths;
GPS v Souths;
Wests v Snbk.

Losses for Bros, Easts, Souths or Wests could be fatal to their respective Top 4 chances.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm hearing whispers coming out of Shaw rd that big money has been offered to former Canberra NRC player Tim Cree for the remaining 5 games of the year to cover their lack of depth in the loose forwards/second row.
Seems a bit pointless with only a few games to go especially after I just heard that their win against Bond has come with complications and resulted in them losing the 4 competition points for playing an unregistered player. This loss of points has all but ruined their chances at finals surely.
OR Tim and Sio go back a long way and he just wanted to play footy again after returning from the UK and a shoulder injury....

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tim wasn't up to it when he played for Easts & Souths previously in QPR - I doubt you'd get value for money no matter how much or little you pay him.

Given that Norths appear to be out of the race for the top 4 why bother, invest in the future and give a young bloke a go.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Tim wasn't up to it when he played for Easts & Souths previously in QPR - I doubt you'd get value for money no matter how much or little you pay him.

Given that Norths appear to be out of the race for the top 4 why bother, invest in the future and give a young bloke a go.
He just wanted to play footy again after returning from the UK and a shoulder injury.....

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.