• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What can I say My bulldogs season is all but over. They are still playing with a lot of heart but are coming up just short week after week. Nothing to dwell on. Congrats to the Galloper yesterday.

Gotta mention how much I enjoyed that game of Brothers vs Sunnybank yesterday.

It was 5-7 Sunnybank leading at HT. Sunnybank responded with 2 meat pies early in 2nd half, jumped out to a 24-5 lead.

The Filth were not out of it. Sunnybank 13 went to the bin. Think it was a no arms tackle. Anyways Brothers had the contest all leveled up at 24 all with 10 mins to go. Brothers took a penalty shot and won it 27-24.

Their first round match was amazing come from behind win. Think brothers in round 1 were leading 21-0 at half time and Sunnybank came storming home for the victory.

Well done to brothers, unlucky Dragons.

There’s 1 point separating 4 likely candidates for the wooden spoon. That Wests vs Brothers match out at the kennel in last round probably secures the spoon.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was interested in Dan Crowley's thoughts published in today's Sunday Mail.

It seems that there will always be different views in Rugby but holding a different view to someone else does not equate to defamation at law. Nor does it equate to cowardice.

I respect people's opportunity to disagree with me on both fronts.

I likewise respect those who are willing to passionately stand up for what they believe.

I personally believe that the 2018 Bulldogs still have another win or two left in them.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone at the Reds game last Friday night, or at Sci-Fleet stadium in time to see the very end of the Reserve grade match between Wests and GPS, would have seen the incorrect restarts taken after the awarding of a Penalty Try. Fortunately in the Reds game there was no impact on the outcome in terms of competition points, but in the case of the Reserve grade match the abysmal decision by the referee resulted in Wests winning the game they otherwise would have almost certainly lost. The decision effectively gifted Wests three competition points they should not have, making it more difficult for Easts to go past them and get into the major semi-final; and cost GPS three competition points which makes them more vulnerable to being knocked out of the four. The loophole was closed in the Rugby Laws which now read under 12.5:

12. KICK-OFFS AND RESTART KICKS FOLLOWING A SCORE
5. When the ball is kicked:
a. Team-mates of the kicker must be behind the ball. Sanction: Scrum.
b. Opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line. Sanction: The kick is retaken.

From a refereeing perspective, The QRRA has confirmed that referees are supposed to manage the restart after a Penalty Try to permit the receiving team reasonable time to get into position behind their 10-metre line, without allowing any undue time-wasting. Let’s hope the referee shocker does not impact the finals standings of the teams affected and that referees who fail to adjudicate in accordance with the laws and game management guidance are re-educated as appropriate. Coaches should also familiarize themselves with updates to the laws as necessary, as well as approach any game with the correct spirit of fair play.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone at the Reds game last Friday night, or at Sci-Fleet stadium in time to see the very end of the Reserve grade match between Wests and GPS, would have seen the incorrect restarts taken after the awarding of a Penalty Try. Fortunately in the Reds game there was no impact on the outcome in terms of competition points, but in the case of the Reserve grade match the abysmal decision by the referee resulted in Wests winning the game they otherwise would have almost certainly lost. The decision effectively gifted Wests three competition points they should not have, making it more difficult for Easts to go past them and get into the major semi-final; and cost GPS three competition points which makes them more vulnerable to being knocked out of the four. The loophole was closed in the Rugby Laws which now read under 12.5:

b. Opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line. Sanction: The kick is retaken.

From a refereeing perspective, The QRRA has confirmed that referees are supposed to manage the restart after a Penalty Try to permit the receiving team reasonable time to get into position behind their 10-metre line, without allowing any undue time-wasting. Let’s hope the referee shocker does not impact the finals standings of the teams affected and that referees who fail to adjudicate in accordance with the laws and game management guidance are re-educated as appropriate. Coaches should also familiarize themselves with updates to the laws as necessary, as well as approach any game with the correct spirit of fair play.

I witnessed this in both the reds game and at Wests

The commentators were unsure of the rule, so it was amazing to see go down at your local club rugby.

When exactly was this loophole closed? Also the rules you posted don’t exactly clear up why it’s not allowed Serge
point 12 then point 5 and point a & b. I don’t exactly know what you copied from rule book & how it relates to kick offs immediately after a penalty try.... im sure you cut out some useless jargon but from my memory the players looked to be behind the kicker and the ball did appear to go 10 metres...

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The 2017 Laws were confusing regarding kick-offs and restarts after a score and restarts after a touchdown in goal and were covered under the then Law 13. Referees were provided guidance on how to manage the restart after a Penalty Try until the rewrite of the Laws for 2018 as there was an argument that you could take a quick restart given the confusion between restarts for a 22 drop out and the restart after a score.

The 2018 Laws address this under what is now Law 12, which is the 'Section' heading for Kick-offs and Restarts. The Section is then broken into sub-sections with one that explicitly addresses 'Kick-off and restarts after a score', and a separate sub-section covering 'Restart kicks following a Touch-down (22 metre drop out)'. Under the 'Kick-off and restarts after a score' sub-section heading there are a number of bullet points that all pertain to that sub-section heading. Point 5 covers where teams must be 'When the ball is kicked'. Sub-paragraph a. stipulates where the kicking team must be and the sanction if they are not. Sub-paragraph b. is the pertinent one addressing where the opposition players must be when the ball is kicked. If they are not there the sanction is 'The kick is retaken'. In the games last weekend sub-paragraph b. was not met and so the kick should have been retaken, however before that occurred the referee should have managed the kicker telling him not to kick yet. Hope this provides more clarity.
I witnessed this in both the reds game and at Wests

The commentators were unsure of the rule, so it was amazing to see go down at your local club rugby.

When exactly was this loophole closed? Also the rules you posted don’t exactly clear up why it’s not allowed Serge
point 12 then point 5 and point a & b. I don’t exactly know what you copied from rule book & how it relates to kick offs immediately after a penalty try.. im sure you cut out some useless jargon but from my memory the players looked to be behind the kicker and the ball did appear to go 10 metres.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Yeah I was at both. Talked to Lynchie (the try scorer) and as every good rugby player will tell you desperate times call for desperate measures. They knew they had to try something and they got away with it. I think the ref probably saw the Reds game on Friday night questioned himself and then just let it go on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Honestly thank you for taking the time to clarify my question. I’m still a little confused but trust you know what the heck you are talking about.

I honestly wonder if the gps brothers were at disadvantage after watching the reds game the night before. I know coaches teach you to play til the whistle. Had what transpired in reds game not happened perhaps the gps boys would of been a little more alert to the scenario.

The 2017 Laws were confusing regarding kick-offs and restarts after a score and restarts after a touchdown in goal and were covered under the then Law 13. Referees were provided guidance on how to manage the restart after a Penalty Try until the rewrite of the Laws for 2018 as there was an argument that you could take a quick restart given the confusion between restarts for a 22 drop out and the restart after a score.

The 2018 Laws address this under what is now Law 12, which is the 'Section' heading for Kick-offs and Restarts. The Section is then broken into sub-sections with one that explicitly addresses 'Kick-off and restarts after a score', and a separate sub-section covering 'Restart kicks following a Touch-down (22 metre drop out)'. Under the 'Kick-off and restarts after a score' sub-section heading there are a number of bullet points that all pertain to that sub-section heading. Point 5 covers where teams must be 'When the ball is kicked'. Sub-paragraph a. stipulates where the kicking team must be and the sanction if they are not. Sub-paragraph b. is the pertinent one addressing where the opposition players must be when the ball is kicked. If they are not there the sanction is 'The kick is retaken'. In the games last weekend sub-paragraph b. was not met and so the kick should have been retaken, however before that occurred the referee should have managed the kicker telling him not to kick yet. Hope this provides more clarity.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Honestly thank you for taking the time to clarify my question. I’m still a little confused but trust you know what the heck you are talking about.

I honestly wonder if the gps brothers were at disadvantage after watching the reds game the night before. I know coaches teach you to play til the whistle. Had what transpired in reds game not happened perhaps the gps boys would of been a little more alert to the scenario.

Not sure why you are confused SX. The Law is quite clear. If you need more clarity you can review the Laws yourself. Normally after a Penalty Try the referee should be issuing a YC or RC or talking to the offending team's Captain about why the Penalty Try was awarded (game management) during which time the ball is dead. I understand that the Penalty Try came from Wests not holding the pressure at a 5m scrum but unusually - there was no YC awarded and no referee discussion with the offending team Captain, however there was an injured player from the scrum contest who required medical assistance and subsequent replacement. As to playing the whistle - the whistle was blown to award the Penalty Try. Play is then suspended until the restart in the same manner as after a successful Penalty kick at goal (which is covered under the same Law and sub-section). From what I have heard some GPS players questioned the referee as they knew the Law (and therefore the scenario under the Laws) but the referee ignored them. I think we should have an expectation that referees at this level (noting the referee for Reserve grade is the AR1 and standby referee for Premier grade should that referee not be able to finish the game) know the Laws and get it right. If the players know the Laws there is no good reason for referees at this level of our Premier competition not knowing. The Super Rugby referee who got it wrong I am sure will also be suitably counselled and probably dropped.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^^^^

Wouldn’t be too worried Serge I think you guys will get them in the minor semi.

West’s seconds have been on the fly for most of the season, but I reckon both easts and brothers will knock them off to give a finish of brothers, easts, west’s and Jeeps.

They have (west’s) had a number of close wins over the last few weeks and I think a boot or two may fall from here on.

Think west’s will also struggling to avoid the wooden spoon in the firsts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
From what I hear brothers have taken out the club championship (just 3 weeks from the end of the season).

It will be interesting to see how many premierships they can take from the 8 possible? I would think that they could get at least 5 maybe 6. Ofc 8 would be just peachy.

As I said earlier in the year, a new brothers era is just upon QPR. Can see them being fairly prominent and dominant for the next 5-7 years.

For this year I think Jeeps will turn the table on Uq for the premiership

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
From what I hear brothers have taken out the club championship (just 3 weeks from the end of the season).

It will be interesting to see how many premierships they can take from the 8 possible? I would think that they could get at least 5 maybe 6. Ofc 8 would be just peachy.

As I said earlier in the year, a new brothers era is just upon QPR. Can see them being fairly prominent and dominant for the next 5-7 years.

Maybe but gee it is going to be sweet to watch them get the spoon this year.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe but gee it is going to be sweet to watch them get the spoon this year.

Why would that be sweet Jimmy? Ah such a gloating pessimistic view young James. Envy is such a miserable evil.

Sweet for someone else... I think it may be either the Bulldogs or The bank.

So you can take yr sweet gloat elsewhere

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Fortunately for Wests we’ve already served our bye week (Sunnybank/brothers bye weeks still to happen) and currently sit 2 competition points ahead of Brothers/Sunnybank. I believe the spoon will be avoided.

Sage Too - what do you think is install for the 1st grade coaching staff in 2019? Carl Marshall is a fantastic coach but I’m sure there’ll be Crosby park fans calling for his head... any idea if they do decide to switch coaches if you think there could be a internal promotion or perhaps they look outside the current crop of Crosby coaches?

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brothers will come undone by other clubs being able to (legally) stack their teams in the finals

But it probably won’t mean 100% failure. “Trickle down “ will occur and from my experience usually means 30-50% success for more than 3 teams from the same club in gf’s.

Have to wait for the final 4 in each grade to determine the trickle down effect. Just from a brief perusal of current positioning there appears to be similar clubs in each position except for brothers and west’s from first grade.

Maybe for a discussion closer to the finals.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fortunately for Wests we’ve already served our bye week (Sunnybank/brothers bye weeks still to happen) and currently sit 2 competition points ahead of Brothers/Sunnybank. I believe the spoon will be avoided.

Sage Too - what do you think is install for the 1st grade coaching staff in 2019? Carl Marshall is a fantastic coach but I’m sure there’ll be Crosby park fans calling for his head. any idea if they do decide to switch coaches if you think there could be a internal promotion or perhaps they look outside the current crop of Crosby coaches?

Look I’m not that close to it. From some of the “talk” the club is a little disappointed with how 1st grade has gone. The club is in a major rebuilding phase after the 2016 gf success. The cattle are there but not as mature as other clubs as yet. The defence has been a major concern.

I think Carl will be fine and there is no other coach as experienced as he and would not be in a position for 1st grade within the next few years or so. Carl’s strategies are sometimes unusual however probably the execution was not up to it. I don’t think brothers are desperate at this stage and Carl got them the the unlikely 16 gf; so you can’t throw the baby out just yet.

If someone was to come in, well that would be a marvellous opportunity especially with the younger guys coming through.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Look I’m not that close to it. From some of the “talk” the club is a little disappointed with how 1st grade has gone. The club is in a major rebuilding phase after the 2016 gf success. The cattle are there but not as mature as other clubs as yet. The defence has been a major concern.

I think Carl will be fine and there is no other coach as experienced as he and would not be in a position for 1st grade within the next few years or so. Carl’s strategies are sometimes unusual however probably the execution was not up to it. I don’t think brothers are desperate at this stage and Carl got them the the unlikely 16 gf; so you can’t throw the baby out just yet.

If someone was to come in, well that would be a marvellous opportunity especially with the younger guys coming through.

What is the actual coaching structure? Isnt CM the head of rugby or something like that?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd say most of the coaches would be safe for 2019.
UQ- Heenan probably has the job for life if he wants it. His sides have shown repeatedly over a long period of time that they respond well to his methods. It does help having quality players such as Dalglesh, Gale, Korczyk, Foley etc but in saying that he is able to bring players into the squad that do their job and do it very well. Will be going no where, rusted on for a long time to come.
GPS- Matho has been outstanding and has brought the club back to where we were a couple of years ago both on and off the field. Only way he won't he around next year is if he gets headhunted for higher honours. Not having Gormo this season has had a few challenges but bringing players through like Gicquel (the kid is a freak), Treleaven & Nicholson shows he can spot talent and develop them into Premier Grade Players. Players such as Freeney, Burke Ricko, King have all flourished under his coaching. Very safe in the role for the next few years at least.
Souths- ET has done well getting the club back into the four. Relationship with Buzz is strained at times apparently so Picone might not be around next season as his agency work might take priority. Has done well with the stable managing the players and will see what happens comes finals. If they don't make the GF though it will be seen as a disappointing season especially now with the inclusion of Hunt. Safe if they make the GF, but still safe.
Easts- Connellan has bounced back exceptionally well after the disappointment of 2017. His side is really well drilled and playing great footy. The likes of Reddy, Gunn and Wright have all made a fantastic impact to the side's performance but he has done very well bringing young players through. They have a tough few weeks to finals but I'd expect them to make the four and could be a real smokey of taking the flag. Will be going nowhere, highly respected at Tigerland.
Bond- Anderson is another who has done above expectation this season. The Bond side is playing very entertaining footy and it could be touch and go if they make the four. Could come down to their final match against Norths. Players such as Nucifora, Sargent, Slipper, Manu have been great and Ford has been a standout and probably the best player in the comp this year. Watch out if the crack the Four. Locked in for sure, my tip for 2019's flag.
Norths- Fogarty has had a pretty noticeable impact with the Eagles since his arrival a few years back. No longer are they considered the easy beats of the comp and are a highly competitive unit. Probably missing two or three Premier Grade Players. Losing Tonga at the start of the season and Chitterden, and Tuapou at the start of the second round has knocked a bit of class off the side but players such as Vuki, Jones, Campbell and Chapman have all shown strong improvement under the Norths program. Best man for the job.
Wests- Byron has probably under achieved this year after making the 4 last season. Has been at the club for a number of years now when things were pretty grim so it would be nice if he could be given another season to deliver finals. Really strong roster with players such as Lynch, Wihongi, Dillon, and Andersen all having strong seasons. Should be safe if loyalty counts.
Sunnybank- Virtue could be under a little pressure to keep his job. The dragons have definitely underperformed in 2018. After just missing out on a GF birth last season they could potentially get the spoon. Lucas was missed greatly once he left for 20s duties and the side seems to be not playing with the same freedom as previous seasons. Will be interesting to see what they do come end of the year. Under the most pressure.
Brothers- Marshall would have to be unlucky to be given the flick after this year. Pretty obvious that they have blooded a number of younger players in a view to the following years to come. They haven't been that awful this season just a tad unlucky. Wilson has been exceptional this year and is playing well above his years and the likes of Lawson and McReight will be very influential players in the years to come. Would be mad to punt him, proven winner.

Reactions: vac

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Should see no more illegal restarts like the cock-up last Saturday. It has come to my attention that all QRRA referees have this week been issued the following edict.
‘Under Law 12.5(b) a team awarded a Penalty Try MUST be afforded the opportunity to realign to receive the restart. If they are clearly wasting time with celebrations, ask that they return to play without delay. Referees must be proactive in managing this. As soon as the infringing team looks to run to half way for a quick restart, blow the whistle and make them wait until the scoring team has had an opportunity to retire and in a position to receive the ensuing kick restart.’

Status
Not open for further replies.