• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Souths Colt who played 2 for QLD Schoolboys II last year has been named alongside Paice for the Souths Premier grade bench this weekend as one of the three front row reserves. That says it all really.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Souths Colt who played 2 for QLD Schoolboys II last year has been named alongside Paice for the Souths Premier grade bench this weekend as one of the three front row reserves. That says it all really.
What exactly does it say? The young Colt hasn't been playing hooker this year. He has been converted to a prop and has been playing in that position all year. So the dispensation for Paice to be the backup hooker stands.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
What exactly does it say? The young Colt hasn't been playing hooker this year. He has been converted to a prop and has been playing in that position all year. So the dispensation for Paice to be the backup hooker stands.

The evidence doesn't appear to support your assertion. Rugby Link shows that on Sat 12 May this year he started at Hooker for Souths Premier grade against GPS, arguably one of the strongest scrums in the competition. Clearly can still play Hooker and Prop and you would think if he could start at Hooker in Prems with no safety issue, he could manage being a reserve Hooker. Anyway, it is what it is. Bring on the finals.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The evidence doesn't appear to support your assertion. Rugby Link shows that on Sat 12 May this year he started at Hooker for Souths Premier grade against GPS, arguably one of the strongest scrums in the competition. Clearly can still play Hooker and Prop and you would think if he could start at Hooker in Prems with no safety issue, he could manage being a reserve Hooker. Anyway, it is what it is. Bring on the finals.

Yourself & other moaners could embrace the fact that another top quality player taking part in our grass roots club competition & helping lift the standard for all. It's not like any of the other teams front rows are mugs & it's not like Souths don't already have a top notch hooker in Alex Casey. The decision is made embrace it & move on!

Also curious, where do you find the team lists with the benches?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My apologies. I forgot the one occasion that the coaching staff felt it may be a possibility to play the Colts prop as a hooker in Premier grade. The result unfortunately was a number of collapsed scrums resulting in a penalty try and a yellow card to one of the props. I am not placing all responsibility on the young hooker but I contend that the safety issue was shown up then and remains an issue.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This has gone on long enough. Call it a day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
My apologies. I forgot the one occasion that the coaching staff felt it may be a possibility to play the Colts prop as a hooker in Premier grade. The result unfortunately was a number of collapsed scrums resulting in a penalty try and a yellow card to one of the props. I am not placing all responsibility on the young hooker but I contend that the safety issue was shown up then and remains an issue.

I certainly hope it’s not still an issue Warhorse.Rhys,the Colt has been named on the bench tomorrow.Fotuaika & Simeon are both great props but I’d be surprised to see them play a full 80 min.I’d suggest Souths will use their full bench of forwards in order to get across the line tomorrow.In my opinion from watching him this year & last year,he is more than up to the challenge of scrummaging at Premier Grade.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Great result for Easts today, both games were close. GPS will be a difficult opponent for Easts next week.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Fabulous work from all teams presenting today.

Must have been fabulous at Ballymore.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Did GPS lose every final they played in this weekend??

I hope they get through in 1sts.... my cents are on them!! Big scrum!!

Very happy the depth at my Nest is shining through. Happy to see so many new faces performing for the jersey.

Ballymore is a great place to be around this time of year.

I wish it could be used more often!!

If we go to 2 & 1/2 rounds next year, maybe every club could get their day in the sun on the big stage??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: vac

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Did GPS lose every final they played in this weekend??

I hope they get through in 1sts.. my cents are on them!! Big scrum!!

Very happy the depth at my Nest is shining through. Happy to see so many new faces performing for the jersey.

Ballymore is a great place to be around this time of year.

I wish it could be used more often!!

If we go to 2 & 1/2 rounds next year, maybe every club could get their day in the sun on the big stage??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Tough day at the office for the Gallopers.They lost 5 out of 6.Premier Grade get another bite of the cherry next week & 6th Grade are straight to to the Big Dance.All other teams are now out

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a mouth watering clash next weeks Prelim Final is.GPS & Easts scrums both monstered their opposition yesterday.I’ll put my neck out & predict that Easts will reverse their result from 2 weeks ago & get up on Sunday

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I sense there is a bit of reverse psychology there TJP!!!

Two great games of rugby.

The two things relating to the preliminary finalists from yesterday:
- The GPS scrum was very impressive;
- I don't know why but the Tigers seem to lift at finals time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this finals series is the last for a few of the Tigers - Ready (Western Force), Gunn(??), Barker(Retirement)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Great rugby on Sunday. GPS unlucky I think with Uni only really dominating in the first 20. Easts/Souths also could have gone either way.

Love the impact of the scrum in both games.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I particularly liked the impact Paice had on the one and only scrum he packed!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some great games on the weekend.

First grade major semi was probably the most competitive and complete skills seen this year. Close, fast and great to see.

The second grade major was also a great game. West’s threw everything at Brothers and the level of skill and lack of errors was a testament to both teams and their coaches. Brothers just a little too skilled (probably the experience in the backs) and took the game in a grinding affair. Probably the most “perfect” game of the weekend(that I saw) in terms of strategy and execution.

There were two Colts games that took the eye as well. The one’s game was another good game; whilst the prem grade Colts from brothers were all the talk I thought they weren’t as prominent as people expected. Good game, again from west’s, but brothers just ground out the win in the second half.

Special mention of the Colts 2 game where brothers won 71-5. Didn’t see the game, but those who were there said it was quite a phenomenon.

More good footy this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Was interesting to see that Uni had 5 players from last years colts grand final side start on Sunday.
With another 1.5 on the bench (hocko was a colt but played for prems in the gf)

Such a young side they did so well to hang on while gps threw the kitchen sink at them.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Premier Grade Minor Semi was interesting too. It was a keenly contested battle between two evenly matched sides. (Possibly Easts and Souths aren't quite as good as Uni & GPS.) One wonders whether the turning point in the game was when Quade chose to cross kick to the winger who unfortunately fell over the dead ball line as he grounded the ball from a penalty to the right of the posts in about the 70th minute. For me that sums up Quade's whole career Rocks or Diamonds its high risk or higher return stuff - even though it didn't come off on this occasion it showed the rugby genius of the man. Well done to him for what he added to QPR this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.