• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I am obviously not very IT savvy.does anyone have the link to find Doughty Shield points ?
I can't help with a link but good question.

Presumably the Doughty points are calculated by adding up each club's points on all of the ladders
here ?

Ten comps as per screenshot below. Possible to do it manually, I suppose, but painful! (Additionally so if having to put in a search term starting with 'Q' to find each ladder within RA's "Rugby Live" interface).

Q premier rugby.png

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting to see the change over time in use of the word 'Premier' in the above. It's clearer though now with straight numbering of grades 1 to 6.

This led me to a question which someone on here may know the current answer to:

What is the official status of player payments in QPR?​
It is after all still an ‘amateur’ comp
I remember reading a document maybe 3 or 4 years ago which set out policies on this. Can't find it now, although it would be interesting to see it again. However, I think it did at that time allow for payments to Premier players.

Whether clubs were actually paying guys to play is another question. The comp is nominally amateur (or at least presumed that way by many) but is that necessarily set in stone?

I'm not talking about old-skool arrangements of clubs finding off-field jobs, etc, for 'amateur' players, but actual pay to play (semi-pro, I suppose, in this case).

Anyone have the proper info on this?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
This old chestnut!!

Player payments in QPR.

I know one thing if there is a policy by the QRU it is not widely known or strictly enforced.

I do know that the QRU frowns upon their contracted players receiving top ups from QPR clubs.

The practicality is that I don't think there would be too many clubs with the additional disposable $$ to pay players too much cash but I am sure that guys still get cars, Uni fees paid for etc which I think is fine.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Google QRU community rugby player payment policy.

Basically, ok for a club to pay community players. Not OK to pay additional for pro rugby players

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Way better investment to pay for cattle that’s gonna play week in and week out.

If Folau had come to the reds. I’m sure there would of been a bidding war between the usual suspects... but how many games you think he’d play in clubland?

Better to play a reds academy player (usually discovered in clubland and rewarded with a wider training group contract)

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Where can one find the QPR player / team stats for 2019 so far? Such as leading try scorers, point scorers, most tackles etc? Is this sort of info recorded for the average punter to view somewhere? Maybe just the points leaders at least?
I can only seem to find "stats" for 2018 and prior on that woeful RugbyLink portal thing.. lol Cheers :)

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just watching the West v Bank game (20 mins in); Wests look good partly because how poorly The Bank are.... long season for The Bank I fear.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Just watching the West v Bank game (20 mins in); Wests look good partly because how poorly The Bank are.. long season for The Bank I fear.

Watched that game too.. 1 or 2 "ok" standouts for Sunnybank weren't enough to get them going unfortunately. I was keen to see former Bulldog Dillon Wihongi against his old club.. safe to say he didn't fire at all really. Well covered by the Wests D in general especially Liam Dillon stopping any momentum that Wihongi could get off the back of the scrum... in saying that doesn't help when your scrum is on skates, every.single.time.. long year indeed

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just watching the West v Bank game (20 mins in); Wests look good partly because how poorly The Bank are.. long season for The Bank I fear.

I know the dogs have wracked up big scores but i agree. It is mostly through versing poor teams. The dogs are still definitely sorting out some chemistry issues.

In saying that i still believe that they are real contenders this year and that with a bit more time together they will be red hot.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Also well worth listening to the Pillar to Post podcast as they give a great rundown of the previous weeks games and make their tips for the following round.

Can vouch for that, snuck in on the odd occassion too

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Don't think I want to see mine from last week .....

GWM, How has Carter been handling 10 with the Bulldogs? Heard he has been starting , but not how he is going.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also watched the Battle of the Students game. Bond was certainly a different team then the previous week when they played Brothers (in terms of application). They looked good, fairly sharp at the break-down and some very useful and quick backs. They will be hard to knock-off at home; the key may be how they "fare" away. Great defense to hold out UQ for a solid 20 mins or so in the second half; great effort for this early in the season.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
^ Don't think I want to see mine from last week ...

GWM, How has Carter been handling 10 with the Bulldogs? Heard he has been starting , but not how he is going.

I’ve been really impressed. I only recall one missed tackle around the waist where his sliden down the legs of the attacker

But 2 weeks in a row he’s had the best driving tackles in the game. Absolutely textbook defender IMO. Goes low and commits

I can’t really comment on how he directs the troops around the park cause vs Sunnybank it was wet and against Norths he came off the bench.

His kicking for territory has been great though.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I know the dogs have wracked up big scores but i agree. It is mostly through versing poor teams. The dogs are still definitely sorting out some chemistry issues.

In saying that i still believe that they are real contenders this year and that with a bit more time together they will be red hot.

Yes that was true for last week (against The Bank), but the Bank showed some glimmers but not enough good cattle over the whole park. The Bank look like they have a fairly young team? (someone confirm) and were not very well structures and somewhat fragmented. That said Wests still had to win it, and they did.

I think (Wests) will still struggle with teams like Jeeps, UQ, Easts and potentially Bond. Thought the back-row (for Wests) had a really good game, set piece was good and the 9-10 combination had strong games. Wests line-out was a bit predictable (thrown to the 7 a majority of time), so this may be a target for other teams. They have some big timber, but lack the speed in the forwards to get the grind work done, that's where I think they will be vulnerable. If they come up with a team (such as UQ, Bond and Easts) that are quicker to the break-down, keep it tight and drive through the middle, then their big timber may become redundant. Young Carter had a very good game; controlled things well, good, if somewhat conservative kicking, kept them going forward. Took some good options so he has vision and dimension and didn't take any smarts from the opposition, which was refreshing to see. Beyond what I would have expected from him at this stage of his career.

Be interesting to see how Wests go against Brothers this week. I'm tipping Brothers, just, in a fairly close affair. Want to see Brothers putting pressure on them at the break-down (through the ruck) and be interesting to see how the scrums go for both packs, as both have been dominant thus far.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What’s the chances we see some QLD reds playing club rugby on Saturday. Friday night game... surely 16-23 on the bench back up in clubland the next day?

Reactions: vac

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Has been impressive from my view. Haven't seen him play too much previously so I'm still waiting before I make a definitive judgement but as many of who have seen him, such a cool and calm temperament.

Having Hunter Paisami and Isaac Hentry outside of him has been great and he's d has been solid. Not much more I can expect tbh

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes that was true for last week (against The Bank), but the Bank showed some glimmers but not enough good cattle over the whole park. The Bank look like they have a fairly young team? (someone confirm) and were not very well structures and somewhat fragmented. That said Wests still had to win it, and they did.

I think (Wests) will still struggle with teams like Jeeps, UQ, Easts and potentially Bond. Thought the back-row (for Wests) had a really good game, set piece was good and the 9-10 combination had strong games. Wests line-out was a bit predictable (thrown to the 7 a majority of time), so this may be a target for other teams. They have some big timber, but lack the speed in the forwards to get the grind work done, that's where I think they will be vulnerable. If they come up with a team (such as UQ, Bond and Easts) that are quicker to the break-down, keep it tight and drive through the middle, then their big timber may become redundant. Young Carter had a very good game; controlled things well, good, if somewhat conservative kicking, kept them going forward. Took some good options so he has vision and dimension and didn't take any smarts from the opposition, which was refreshing to see. Beyond what I would have expected from him at this stage of his career.

Be interesting to see how Wests go against Brothers this week. I'm tipping Brothers, just, in a fairly close affair. Want to see Brothers putting pressure on them at the break-down (through the ruck) and be interesting to see how the scrums go for both packs, as both have been dominant thus far.

Some valid points there.. if you're winning 80% of your lineout, wouldn't need to change much though. And I'd hope for Wests sake they're forward thinking in that Brothers may target the #7 this week and so they change it up a bit.

Should be a good game at Crosby on the weekend though

Status
Not open for further replies.