• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can you please stop your noble crusade for a sec and help figure out whats happening at Sunnybank?

‘trolling’ too much takes the focus away from issues that should be discussed.

Clearly there are a few things that are a bit out of kilter at Snbk & Norths but what I am more intrigued by is Uni.

Uni have absolutely dominated colts rugby for the better part of the last 15 years by picking up the cream of schoolboy graduates - how they don't have the best depth is astonishing. Do their colts not transition into grades? If so that is sad for rugby if these guys are lost to the game.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can you please stop your noble crusade for a sec and help figure out whats happening at Sunnybank?

‘trolling’ too much takes the focus away from issues that should be discussed.

What’s wrong at Sunnybank. The club has been on a slow decline for 5 years now. It’s been taken over by a band of people who Normal rugby people try to get rid off. The head coach should never have been given the job. Ask the 30 odd players that have left because of him. A club I coached at for 16 years. 10 years ago we had 800 odd juniors and now flat out reaching the 400 mark . Now they have just lost the support of the community club. The club is fucked

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
What’s wrong at Sunnybank.. Now they have just lost the support of the community club.
Really? They've lost the pokie machine money? Why? I don't know anything about the setup but I always saw SB from a junior rugby perspective as very healthy with their referee development program etc. I had heard that they only had one team in some of the junior age groups which surprised me but their girls rugby program is very strong. What was the catalyst for the decline?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
At the same time as Snbk juniors have dropped off has there been a direct increase in the Logan Saints junior numbers? Or have they gone to other codes?

As for the community club funding I always thought that it had been agreed would cease at a particular point in time which I thought was a few years back.

How much of the issues are the result of the Seib & Head departures? They are excellent coaches & administrators respectively.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping update

Rugby Follower 17
Beer Baron 16
GirtbySea 16
RAF 16
Rugby Reg 16
Sage Too 16
Dark Shark 15
Jets 15
Nomad 15
Southernx 14
Getwithme 13
Pick n drive 13
Cam Goddard 12
DB 12
Happyman 12
new recruit_ brisbane 12
Paty305 12
Hennaz 11
Hound 11
jimmy.crouch 11
Keeno 11
nmpc 11
Robbitybob 11
Lovemyclubfooty 8
eldiablo 7
East Coast Aces 6
Jeeper 6
manwithcaninhand 6
Phatmic 5
David 4
Loveclubrugby 4
FigJam 3
J Cole 3
Magpie for me 3
Mr Grump 3
Throbber 2
Beerad 1
Bulldog 1
heavy unit 1

Reactions: vac

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Community Club at Sunnybank is the Rugby Club. To become a full member and get voting rights you have to be a fully paid up member of Sunnybank Senior or Junior Rugby Club. There maybe a change in the support they provide but the `Ownership` wont change.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting group of games this weekend. Some questions will be answered, particularly the Brothers v UQ and the Wests and Bond games.

The Brothers Uni games will give a potential incite into the leading pack for a number of the lower grades and particularly in colts. This is the first test of whether Brothers are the real deal for 2019? I think Brothers would have to be favourites, just based upon club depth. However the run of games, to the conclusion of round 1, could be a potential derailing of their season so far. With UQ (home), Jeeps (away) and Easts (home), Brothers will probably need to win 2 from 3 to stay within the top 2. With 3 of their young guns on junior world cup duty (don't know from when?), it will be the the depth that may provide the continuation of the momentum.

The Wests - Bond game will be much closer than a lot will expect. West have been looking good to date, however we a little slow (in the forwards) last week, but finding good attacking combinations in the backs. Is this Bond's "line in the sand" moment? Will Wests be on their game? Going to be very close, maybe depth of each club will play a part in this one as well.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anybody have any idea if we can access the Doughty Shield details?

Not on the new app/website.

But it’s not difficult to calculate. Go to each grades ladders and tally each teams wins. The club with the most wins will be leading the Doughty shield

You’ll find brothers should be head and shoulders ahead of every other club (even with the clubs not having their bye weeks just yet)

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Girtbysea just sent the summary of the Doughty Shield (not up yet). Summary to May 3:

Brothers 194, Wests 119, Souths 116, UQ 104, GPS 101, Easts 81, The Bank 71, Norths 41, Bond 31, Logan 21 & Ipswich 1.

Thanks for that Girtbsea and yes, SouthernX was right Brothers ahead, searching for two in a row.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
Is there somewhere you can find the list of Doughty Shield Winners each year and the respective Hospital Cup winners?

The information used to be available on the old QRU website but I cant find it anymore

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there somewhere you can find the list of Doughty Shield Winners each year and the respective Hospital Cup winners?

The information used to be available on the old QRU website but I cant find it anymore

I have this which is a 20 year history between 1994-2013 if that helps.

Attachments

• GF \'94-\'13.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 190

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
2014 - Uni def Snbk in GF;
2015 - Souths def Easts;
2016 - Brother def Uni;
2017 - Uni def GPS
2018 - GPS def Uni

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Year : Welsby Cup Hospital Cup
2004 : SNBK ; GCB
2005 : GCB ; SNBK
2006 : SNBK ; Wests
2007 : Wests ; SNBK
2008 : Bros ; Easts
2009 : Bros ; Bros
2010 : Uni ; Uni
2011 : Easts ; Snbk
2012 : Bros ; Uni
2013 : GPS ; Easts
2014 : Uni ; Uni

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Brothers becoming by far the most dominant club on these numbers, they have been building over a few years. Quite clear to see how uni and Sunnybank have come back to the pack. Uni’s depth has been eroded over the last few years, maybe the players are now going to Brothers esp at Colts level. Something off at the Bank, Souths are a clear winner out of this. North’s are a key piece in the puzzle for the Northside, they are an integral part of keeping rugby strong on this side of town. Their junior numbers are extremely strong, grades are very competitive, just lacking at Prem grade this year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Round 7 already

You can tip HERE

I'm worried for the Students against the Filth, could be a blood bath at Crosby :(

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Brother's did the right thing and invested in top standard rugby development and management at a club level, not just focusing on one or two teams, which I think some clubs are guilty of.

It's no surprise their former Director of Rugby who put most of these systems in place, Ben McCormack, is now in a directors role at Randwick aka the Australian Rugby Mafia down in Sydney.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brother's did the right thing and invested in top standard rugby development and management at a club level, not just focusing on one or two teams, which I think some clubs are guilty of.

It's no surprise their former Director of Rugby who put most of these systems in place, Ben McCormack, is now in a directors role at Randwick aka the Australian Rugby Mafia down in Sydney.

Granted Brothers have an excellent setup across the board from Juniors through Premier grade and the recent Boards, McCormack & now Matt Kaye have done extremely well and they have seen the fruits through their excellent grade results & the Doughty Shield in 2018 but they won't be satisfied until they secure another Hospitals Cup - which they are well in the hunt for in 2019.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brothers v University of Queensland, Crosby Park, 3:20PM (Match of the Round)

Brothers: Tom Moloney (c), Matt Faessler, Garrath Ryan, Alexander Perez, Bradford Kepa, Henry Fitzgerald, Noah Nielsen, Rhys Martin, Reuben Wall, Rohan Saifoloi, Byron Ralston, Patrick James, Sebastian Wileman, George Partridge, Lawson Creighton

Coach: Rod Seib

University of Queensland: Samuel Mellor, Thomas Mellor, Torah Moe, Dominic Power, Ben Paxton-Hall, Fergus Lilllicrap, Adam Korczyk, Sam Wallis, Jacobus Van Eeden, James Dalgleish (c), William Morley, TJ Siaksini, Joshua Hill, Sam Dalgleish, Clifton Setu

Coach: Mick Heenan

Norths v Easts, Hugh Courtney Oval, 3:20PM

Norths: Jacob Pinkey, Cody Blackhurst (c), Dane Zander, Michael Jones, Malik Pataanga, Josaia Droka, Michael Leary, Jordan Tuapou, Liam Prendergast, Matt McGahan, Veresa Matatini, Douglas Rayment, Conor Chittenden, Kegan Tuhega, Jordan Luke

Coach: Luke Oxford

Easts: Aaron Sorridimi, Samuel Richards, Carter Ozanne, Jale Vakaloloma, Filimoni Seruvatu, Aidan Leeming, Tom Milosevic (c), Henry Olsen, Phoenix Hunt, Preston Springhall, Liam Matenga, Navitalai Tiko, Charlie Olsen, Keeghan Sefton, Jack Frampton

Coach: Moses Rauluni

Bond University v Wests, Bond University RFC, 3:20PM

Bond University: Andrew Petelo, Nick Turner, Will Slipper, Kieran Van Brecht, Calum Ball, Zach Moimoi, Connor Pritchard, Paula Kaho, Harry Nucifora (c), Dion Taumata, Gus Qasevakatini, Daniel Boardman, Ryan Menzies, Adam Gauder, Joey Fittock

Coach: Brad Harris

Wests: Prynce-Romeo Taugele, Bart Ritchie, Bronson Fotuali’i, Will Dearden, Roberts Puliuvea, Jerrimiah Lynch (c), Connor Anderson, Harry Higgins, Liam Dillon, Carter Gordon, Paterisio Beramaisuva, Isaac Henry, Fredrich Keil, Liam Moseley, Cooper Whiteside

Coach: Pat Byron

Sunnybank v GPS, Oldmac Oval, 3:20PM

Sunnybank: Lloyd Gorman, Eli Fakailoatonga, Daniel Anae, Ben Petaia, Alistair Berking, Fala Tuala, Joel Brown, Dilon Wihongi, Neal McNamara, Hayden Sargeant, Ahmu Tuimalealiifano, Tom Lucas (c), Nick Kepu, Peter Lee, David Feliuai

Coach: Damon Virtue

GPS: Jehtro Felemi, Troy Simkin, Fred Burke, Mitch King, Oliver Bartlett, Tuaina Tualima, Matthew Gicquel, Michael Richards, (c), Nigel Genia, DP de Lange, Jonathan Kent, Alfonso Horomia, Eveni Hunt, Joshua Collins, Albert Nikoro

Coach: Elwee Prinsloo

Status
Not open for further replies.