• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe so SX but Dan Herbert achieved two things that Kerevi will never achieve win a RWC and a Hospitals Cup with GPS.

Kerevi gets a chance re the RWC in Japan'19 but he will never win a premiership for GPS - blew that chance in 2013.

Those awards are team awards. You only go so far as the squad around you.

Herbert might have the medals and trophy’s in the cabinet but he was never regarded as the best player on his team. Kerevi has been that for the reds for the past 3 years (maybe excluding Tongan Thor)

I just hope we are afforded the opportunity to keep seeing Kerevi play rugby in Queensland.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Absolutely agree SX.

Just have to think how well Tim Horan did after his injuries. How much personal impact he had in the RWC99 - possibly he was player of that tournament.

Samu has plenty of runs left in him let's hope he bats on for the Reds.

J

JeepsTragic

Those awards are team awards. You only go so far as the squad around you.

Herbert might have the medals and trophy’s in the cabinet but he was never regarded as the best player on his team. Kerevi has been that for the reds for the past 3 years (maybe excluding Tongan Thor)

I just hope we are afforded the opportunity to keep seeing Kerevi play rugby in Queensland.

Herbie had guys like Latham, Larkham, Gregan, Horan, Wilson, Eales and Kefu playing around him. Sami has had nobody of that sort of calibre around him so he is always going to stand out. I used to say that Sami was the best 13 at GPS since Herbie but I think Herbie was better. Different style of player at a different time, so its pretty hard to compare.

I mean how do you rate Herbie and Sami against Michael O'Connor? The only reason Slack was captain was that O'Connor went to league. One of the best outside backs I have seen in either code.

J

JeepsTragic

Noted Jeeps tragic

But of course with a name like that. You’d go to war for a guy like Herbert :wink:

True, but was what I said wrong? Herbert always had a much stronger team around him than Sami has ever enjoyed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
University of Queensland v GPS, St Lucia, 3:20pm (Grand Final rematch, Match of the Round, UQ Ladies Day)

University of Queensland: Egan Siggs, Thomas Mellor, Torah Moe, Thomas Vaessen, Tim Manns, Fergus Lillicrap, Pat Morrey, Sam Wallis, Sairusi Lalanabaravi, James Dalgleish (c), William Morley, TJ Siakisini, Josh Hill, Sam Dalgleish , Clifton Setu

Coach: Mick Heenan

GPS: Jethro Felemi, Maile Ngauamo, Fred Burke, Oliver Bartlett, Dan Gorman (c), Tuaina Tualima , Tom Kibble, Michael Richards, Jordan Lenac, DP de Lange, Jono Kent, Alfonso Horomia, Bernard Nickel, Alex Samoa, Albert Nikoro

Coach: Elwee Prinsloo

Sunnybank v Bond University, Oldmac Oval, 3:20pm

Sunnybank: Lloyd Gorman, Eli Fakailoatonga, Dee Anae, Longosai Ilangana, Fala Tuala, Tipene Mavoa, Joel Brown, Dillon Wihongi, Tim Sippel, Tom Lucas (c), Samuel Samu, Larry Hermens, Nick Kepu, Peter Lee, Hayden Sargeant

Coach: Damon Virtue

Bond University: Andrew Petelo, Jack Winchester, Eddie Aholelei, Matt Dalton, Kieran Van Brecht, Dylan Rowe, Connor Pritchard, Luke Papworth, Harry Nucifora (c), Justin Bernstein, Gus Qasevakatini, Ryan Menzies, Dan Boardman, Max Dowd, Joey Fittock

Coach: Grant Anderson

Brothers v Easts, Crosby Park, 4:00pm (Brothers Ladies Day)

Brothers: Tom Moloney (c), Matt Faessler, Garrath Ryan, Brad Kapa, Ryan Smith, Jeremy Skelton, Noah Nielsen, Alex Perez, Reuben Wall, Rohan Saifoloi, Byron Ralston, Pat James, Kris Larosa, George Patridge, Lawson Creighton

Coach: Rod Seib

Easts: Braden Schiller, Sam Richards, Carter Ozanne, Jale Vakaloloma, Filimoni Seruvatu, Aidan Leeming, Tom Milosevic (c), Seru Uru, Phoenix Hunt, Eli Pilz, Preston Springhall, Jimi Fitzgerald, Landon Hayes, Keeghan Sefton, Jack Frampton

Coach: Moses Rauluni

Norths v Souths, Hugh Courtney Oval, 3:20pm

Norths: Jacob Pinkney, Cody Blackhurst (c), Dane Zander, Michael Jones, Josaia Droka, Apisai Naiyabo, Michael Leary, Jordan Tuapou, Liam Prendergast, Nick Chapman , Veresa Mataitini, Doug Rayment, Conor Chittenden, Kegan Tuhega, Jordan Luke

Coach: Luke Oxford

Souths: Clinton Malolua, Sean Farrell, Paulo Leleisiuao, Zac Munro, Jacob McKellar, Josateki Murray, Brad Kelegai, Sunia Finefeuiaki, Lachlan Gray, Jake Strachan, Mika Tela, Abele Atunaisa, Rapheal Evalu, Emori Waqvulagi, Jayden Ngamanu (c)

Coach: Elia Tuqiri

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
At the halfway point of the season it seems that 2 teams standout as clear favourites - GPS & Bros - and the others will just be jockeying for 3rd & 4th. The only side I'm writing off at this stage is Sunnybank everyone else could possibly make the cut but don't have time to spare as a loss or two over the next few weeks could be fatal to finals aspirations.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
At the halfway point of the season it seems that 2 teams standout as clear favourites - GPS & Bros - and the others will just be jockeying for 3rd & 4th. The only side I'm writing off at this stage is Sunnybank everyone else could possibly make the cut but don't have time to spare as a loss or two over the next few weeks could be fatal to finals aspirations.

The Bulldogs have exceeded my expectations after Round 1.

I don’t know if I’m gonna enjoy last week of Round 2 with bulldogs on the bye week. Let’s string some wins together so we don’t have to sweat on results in final weeks which may impact our top 4 aspirations.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
When did it become acceptable for coaches who choose to watch games from behind the try line to walk into the in goal area and berate the referees? Likewise, when did it become ok for coaching staff (not water runners or medics) to walk up and down the sidelines shouting at the referee and giving instructions to their teams?

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
When did it become acceptable for coaches who choose to watch games from behind the try line to walk into the in goal area and berate the referees? Likewise, when did it become ok for coaching staff (not water runners or medics) to walk up and down the sidelines shouting at the referee and giving instructions to their teams?

Yeah agree. I find that objectionable as well, including the reserves (supposedly warming up) inside the goal area. I dislike the fact that when a try is scored the reserves are not only on the field (well in goal) and the first to congratulate their teammates.. it a blight on the game... and shouldn't be allowed. What are the rules here? Does a players etc entering the in goal mean they are on the playing field??

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Happens in Super Rugby as well , reserves often being the first to congratulate the try scorer.

Probably limited space at most venues for the reserves to warm up anywhere else but the in goal . Think as long as they are wearing a bib of some description to identify them as not actively playing it's generally accepted as ok to be there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There should be zero tolerance on any referee abuse, whether from a player, coach or spectator.

But in regards to coaches yelling at their own players and barking instructions, what real effect does that have on the game? As an opposition coach I always found it interesting when coaches would patrol the sideline yelling at their players. It made the 15 blokes on the field seem less competent to think for themselves. Messages are going to make it to players regardless of who delivers them.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lots of tippers managed a perfect round last weekend. Still quite tight at the top of the table.

Rugby Follower 26
Beer Baron 25
Nomad 25
RAF 25
GirtbySea 24
Rugby Reg 24
Sage Too 24
Dark Shark 23
Getwithme 23
Happyman 23
Jets 23
Pick n drive 22
Southernx 22
DB 21
Keeno 21
Cam Goddard 20
Hound 20
nmpc 20
Robbitybob 20
Hennaz 17
new recruit_ brisbane 16
Paty305 16
eldiablo 13
jimmy.crouch 13
Beerad 11

Reactions: vac
J

JeepsTragic

Yeah agree. I find that objectionable as well, including the reserves (supposedly warming up) inside the goal area. I dislike the fact that when a try is scored the reserves are not only on the field (well in goal) and the first to congratulate their teammates.. it a blight on the game. and shouldn't be allowed. What are the rules here? Does a players etc entering the in goal mean they are on the playing field??

They should only allow them to warm up behind their own goal line instead of the opposition. That would make them somber when a try is scored in front of them.

Reactions: vac

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am sure you post that in jest, but the reason they warm up in the opposition in goal is to ensure there is no confusion with # of players on the field or defenders in play (image a kick into goal with the opposition warming up there)

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^

Possibly another fairly easy round for the footy tippers. Only one that may present problems would be Easts v Uni.....both a little inconsistent at this stage (due to a number of reasons), just leaning towards Easts at this stage, however will have to wait until the team lists are out. Uni need to start winning soon to get to the magic 42.

Souths seem fairly settled and winning at the moment, whilst Wests at home should be too strong for Norths (without their stars); Brothers should be able to travel well and should be able to take their game against the luckless Bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.