• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Probably the most anticipated GPS v Brothers game held at Yoku in a number of years this weekend (they are always good but I feel like the crowd will be massive for this one).

Forecast is for showers but hopefully that clears up and it's great conditions for both players and spectators.

Unsurprisingly I'm tipping GPS to get up. But if I'm honest, their last few games have been uninspiring wins, against uninspiring opponents. I guess you would say 'soft wins'. I hope they're fired up for a big game. If Brother's get the win at Yoku then I think they're definitely Premiership favorites, although I would argue they already are this year.

Reactions: vac

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
519164C0-580E-410D-A731-CA6A5F38BEBF.png

Don’t know if this attachment will work but it’s an interesting excerpt of an article in today’s Courier Mail about Matt McGahan getting a call up to Reds - be a big call but he’s playing well at club level - I am not a CFS fan so if this was to happen maybe moving Kerevi to out centre and giving DP a run as they seem to combine extremely well as a bench change.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Comment on last weeks games. Brothers and UQ were fairly close until about the 50th minute mark, the game was open to whoever wanted to win it. Brothers eventually gained the ascendancy thereafter, particularly when the reserves came on. Depth play a large part in the final result.

A similar pattern occurred in the Bond v Wests game. Only watched it to about the 50th minute, and whilst Wests were in control (at that point) the game could have gone either way. Think depth once again was the winner for Wests.

Love to see the Norths game. Will watch it over the next couple of days.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Probably the most anticipated GPS v Brothers game held at Yoku in a number of years this weekend (they are always good but I feel like the crowd will be massive for this one).

Forecast is for showers but hopefully that clears up and it's great conditions for both players and spectators.

Unsurprisingly I'm tipping GPS to get up. But if I'm honest, their last few games have been uninspiring wins, against uninspiring opponents. I guess you would say 'soft wins'. I hope they're fired up for a big game. If Brother's get the win at Yoku then I think they're definitely Premiership favorites, although I would argue they already are this year.

Yeah it will be a good game; young guns v the very experienced. Whilst some of the Jeeps wins seem to be "uninspiring", they have nonetheless "ground out" a result, usually in their favour. Can't argue with that. I think both of them are favorites for the top of the table at this stage. But its a long season; remember this time last year, I think everyone was on the Magpie bandwagon and look where that got them. So will have to wait and see. Think the magic figure for top 4 will be around 42 points this year. So both Brothers and Jeeps are well on their way.

I'm thinking this will be a close one; haven't yet figured it out (depends on the Brothers team list) and possibly a draw? Jets do I get extra points for tipping a draw??

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any Tigers out their?? Q: Why are Easts so up and down this year? Some weeks they look like world beaters and the next week they took a crash course in rugby on Thursday afternoon. Any reason why they are so inconsistent (not helping my tipping at all!)?

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
View attachment 10684

Don’t know if this attachment will work but it’s an interesting excerpt of an article in today’s Courier Mail about Matt McGahan getting a call up to Reds - be a big call but he’s playing well at club level - I am not a CFS fan so if this was to happen maybe moving Kerevi to out centre and giving DP a run as they seem to combine extremely well as a bench change.

Yeah he's been playing well for the Eagles; a great organiser, good options taken as well. A different game at SXV, but I think he as good as the incumbent, so worth a shot. Obviously Brad Thorn has been doing his job and taking a look.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
A similar pattern occurred in the Bond v Wests game. Only watched it to about the 50th minute, and whilst Wests were in control (at that point) the game could have gone either way. Think depth once again was the winner for Wests.

I thought that game was a close contest. bond had really poor ball handling skills with a lot of knock ons.

But what really boiled down to Wests winning was Isaac Henry keeping up his accurate goal kicking (he did miss one) compared to Harry Nucifora who missed almost every goal kicking attempt.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah he's been playing well for the Eagles; a great organiser, good options taken as well. A different game at SXV, but I think he as good as the incumbent, so worth a shot. Obviously Brad Thorn has been doing his job and taking a look.

McGahan's been on the books for a while now so best they start get something back.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Any Tigers out their?? Q: Why are Easts so up and down this year? Some weeks they look like world beaters and the next week they took a crash course in rugby on Thursday afternoon. Any reason why they are so inconsistent (not helping my tipping at all!)?

They have been hit with injuries so a lot of inexperience and then their good young prop got called up to U20 WC squad - great for him but adds to the list of missing players. Last week at Norths they were in the game until the 60th minute and then the quality and experience of Super Rugby level players at Norths (McGahan, Duncan P) shone through - that Norths winger looked really good too, really quick. Some very good things at Easts but putting it together for entire games is a bit hit and miss. Sunnybank this weekend so that will be interesting as they haven't performed as well as previously.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think injuries and then depth have been the issue for Easts - they have been without Sanday, Van Nek, Schiller & Richie Asiata(left on the eve of the season for NZ) in the front row; had some second row injuries that have changed composition of their back row, then Frampton & Pills have been missing for most of the season, last weekend they were without Gordon & their regular #13. They have also seen injuries to Elliott Hagen, Jack Hardy & Shane Kennedy. All up that's the best part of a full 15 - would be interesting to see whether they have used more players than anyone else in QPR19.

Whilst Reg's correct tip of Norths might seem genius - & I don't want to detract from his genius - but it was possibly obvious if you'd done your homework!

Issue for tipsters now is to determine if they start to get some of these guys back how that impacts on the Tigers consistency.

Oh the perils of the footy tipster.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
I thought that game was a close contest. bond had really poor ball handling skills with a lot of knock ons.

But what really boiled down to Wests winning was Isaac Henry keeping up his accurate goal kicking (he did miss one) compared to Harry Nucifora who missed almost every goal kicking attempt.
Did Harry make any? One was a penalty try.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think injuries and then depth have been the issue for Easts - they have been without Sanday, Van Nek, Schiller & Richie Asiata(left on the eve of the season for NZ) in the front row; had some second row injuries that have changed composition of their back row, then Frampton & Pills have been missing for most of the season, last weekend they were without Gordon & their regular #13. They have also seen injuries to Elliott Hagen, Jack Hardy & Shane Kennedy. All up that's the best part of a full 15 - would be interesting to see whether they have used more players than anyone else in QPR19.

Whilst Reg's correct tip of Norths might seem genius - & I don't want to detract from his genius - but it was possibly obvious if you'd done your homework!

Issue for tipsters now is to determine if they start to get some of these guys back how that impacts on the Tigers consistency.

Oh the perils of the footy tipster.

Reg also tipped Uni over Brothers so, while I respect his rugby knowledge, I'm not quite ready to crown him as some tipping savant. :)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think the magic figure for top 4 will be around 42 points this year. So both Brothers and Jeeps are well on their way.

Indeed they are Sage Too.

Historically (2011-17) - numbers of wins to qualify for top 4
1st - 13.7;
2nd - 11.4;
3rd - 10.7;
4th - 10.0

Todate QPR19 after 7 rounds:
Bros 6;
GPS 5;
Wests 4;
Uni 3;
Souths 3;
Easts 3;
Norths 2;
Bond 1;
Snbk 1.

So the others need to get on a run of victories. It's probably the most open run for 3rd & 4th in many years.

Norths, Bond & Snbk will all be on the hunt for a win or 2 in rounds 8&9 to get themselves into contention otherwise it will be too hard to win 7 or 8 from 8 in the second half of the season. Whereas you give yourself an outside chance of winning 6 from 8 if you are the real deal.

Interest very much in the games between Bond v Norths in Round 8 and Snbk v Bond in Round 9, particularly if Snbk could beat Easts or Norths beat South's in Round 8. It's season on the line stuff for Norths, Bond & Snbk over rounds 8&9.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A few tough games this weekend in terms of tipping.

I think all of the games could go to either team, depending on the attitude of players on the day. GPS v Brothers will be an early rehearsal of my pick for the GF, but there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge before then.

You can tip HERE

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
A few tough games this weekend in terms of tipping.

I think all of the games could go to either team, depending on the attitude of players on the day. GPS v Brothers will be an early rehearsal of my pick for the GF, but there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge before then.

You can tip HERE
Love your work Jets
Re brothers v GPS I would back GPS as the Brotherrs centre has been called up to the Reds squad this week. While GPS don’t have that level of strike power they are just very well drilled.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Love your work Jets
Re brothers v GPS I would back GPS as the Brotherrs centre has been called up to the Reds squad this week. While GPS don’t have that level of strike power they are just very well drilled.

Very tough game to call. Brothers undefeated across 1st/2nd...

I expect one of the brothers teams to lose from those 2 teams. Brothers 1st grade is probably the most vulnerable.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Very tough game to call. Brothers undefeated across 1st/2nd.

I expect one of the brothers teams to lose from those 2 teams. Brothers 1st grade is probably the most vulnerable.
Definitely will be close but with Brothers losing the centre to Reds and the under 20’s and it being a GPS home game I think it is just a step to far.
Wests v Souths is very tasty also

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great to see the QRU on the ball. Maybe they will publish the QPR weekly for round 7 today or tomorrow. That would be useful given the games were played last Saturday.

It just shows the regard that the QRU have for club rugby. It seems that both Rugby Australia and the QRU hold club rugby in disdain. I suppose they are too busy writing diversity policies and figuring out ways they can sanction players for not following the politically correct speech policies handed to them by Alan Joyce.

here you go old man. Personally delivery.

http://online.fliphtml5.com/xsol/usgw/index.html

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wests looks like they are going to be down their 2 props who started the season Misioka & Ausetalia for the foreseeable future.

Just saw both gentlemen were named for the Samoa team participation in a global Rapid Rugby match in Fiji this weekend.

Anybody else know of some QPR familiar names who might be involved with Twiggys Comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.