• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hegarty will be able to play as he's a contracted Red. Magnay is a Rebel. He can't play finals. Fair enough. He can't expect QLD Rugby to go into bat for him when he opted to play his rugby in Melblourne. Stuff him I say.

Agree that Magnay should not play but a little harsh on the language Reg. Whilst I have no knowledge of what was or was not on offer, perhaps he "opted" to play with Rebels because their offer was more complete, better, bigger or whatever. It is a professional game. "Stuff him I say"......you sound like a jilted lover;)!!!!

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hamish Stewart preliminary named for the breakers on rugbyxplorer.

Is this the week where we see the Reds return in full force for their respective club?

I think I saw something online about a contingent of reds up north at a junior rugby carnival?

Breakers? now you're showing your age ;-) I heard he's been given the 12 jersey appropriate considering how good Mitch Third & Joet Fittock have been @ 10 & 15 for Bond Uni.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
University of Queensland v Brothers, St Lucia, 3:20PM | Match of the Round

University of Queensland: Sam Mellor, Tom Mellor, SJ Tamala, Fergus Lillicrap, Harry Hockings, Pat Morrey, Connor Moroney, Sam Wallis, Jacobus van Eeden,, James Dalgleish, Sam Edwards, TJ Siakisini, Kemea Sabatino, Clifton Setu, Jock Campbell

Coach: Mick Heenan

Brothers: Tom Moloney, Matthre Faessler, Garrath Ryan, Michael Wood, Ryan Smith, Criff Tupou, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Reuben Wall, Rohan Saifoloi, Mitch Felsman, Patrick James, Byron Ralston, Sam Hyne, Lawson Creighton

Coach: Rod Seib

GPS v Sunnybank, Yoku Road, 3:20PM

GPS: Jethro Felemi, Maile Ngauamo, Fred Burke, Ollie Bartlett, Dan Gorman, Jamie Rickward, Matt Gicquel, Michael Richards, Nigel Genia, DP de Lange, Jono Kent, Maaloga Konelio, Campbell Magnay, Josh Collins, Pat Nicholson

Coach: Elwee Prinsloo

Sunnybank: Dave Feao, Eli Fakailoatonga, Lloyd Gorman, Alastair Berking, Fala Tuala, Christian Malaulau, Joel Brown, Dillon Wihongi, Neal McNamara, Hayden Sargeant, Josh Walker, Tom Lucas (c), Larry Hermens, Liam McNamara, Isaac Lucas

Coach: Evan Willis

Easts v Norths, David Wilson Field, 3:20PM

Easts: Carter Ozanne, Sam Richards, Rhys van Nek, Jale Vakaloloma, Fred Fewtrell, Henry Olsen, Tom Milosevic (c), Seru Uru, Phoenix Hunt, Jack Frampton, Liam Matenga, Tevita Ahosivi, Landon Hayes, Riley Cooper, Dylan Taikato-Simpson

Coach: Moses Rauluni

Norths: Tonga Maafu, Cody Blackhurst, Jacob Pinkey, Michael Jones, Benjamin Booth, Saula Vuaca, Michael Leary, Jordan Tuapou, Liam Prendergast, Jordan Luke, Veresa Mataitini, Tony Hunt, Conor Chittenden, Kegan Tuhega, Sefa Naivalu

Coach: Luke Oxford

Wests v Bond University, Sci-Fleet Stadium, 3:20PM

Wests: Immanuel Naciva, Bronson Fotuali’I, Misioka Timoteo, Rob Puliuvea, Will Dearden, Jerry Lynch (c), Connor Anderson, Harry Higgins, Liam Dillon, Carter Gordon, Callum Hicks, Isaac Henry, Hunter Paisami, Liam Moseley, Cooper Whiteside

Coach: Pat Byron

Bond University: Sam Dobb, Jack Winchester, Eddie Aholelei, Angus Blyth, Matt Dalton, Luke Papworth, Connor Pritchard, Zach Moimoi, Harry Nucifora (c), Mitch Third, Gus Qasevakatini, Hamish Stewart, Dan Boardman, Ryan Menzies, Joey Fittock

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Hegarty will be able to play as he's a contracted Red. Magnay is a Rebel. He can't play finals. Fair enough. He can't expect QLD Rugby to go into bat for him when he opted to play his rugby in Melblourne. Stuff him I say.

Yet K Hunt was ineligible for Souths last years finals campaign despite playing 4 games and Signed with the Reds at the time.
Circumstances, I know, but still a bit confusing.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Hegarty will be able to play as he's a contracted Red. Magnay is a Rebel. He can't play finals. Fair enough. He can't expect QLD Rugby to go into bat for him when he opted to play his rugby in Melbourne. Stuff him I say.

Did he 'opt to play in Melbourne' though Reg? Or was he, like others, not wanted? I have no issue with GPS not getting him for the finals and wonder why he is playing in Brisbane rather than Melbourne, or why not Shute Shield if that is the top comp and he needs the competition, but given that Magnay has some history with the club maybe that should be taken into account. Given that Hamish Stewart and a few others haven't been sighted on a rugby field for more than a month (and in Stewart's case apparently haven't even played for the Premier team previously) and only this weekend make their return, their ability to play in finals is questionable too.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yet K Hunt was ineligible for Souths last years finals campaign despite playing 4 games and Signed with the Reds at the time.
Circumstances, I know, but still a bit confusing.
The circumstances were that he changed clubs outside of the dead line (6 weeks before the end of the regular comp) if he had moved to Souths a few weeks before he would of been fine to play finals.

It’s a pretty simple rule that stops teams stacking themselves with pro and semi pro players just before finals and stops the comp becoming an arms race at the business end.

Also worth noting that if Magnay registered with GPS a few weeks ago he could easily be eligible for finals (as long as he goes through the dispensation process) - GPS are pretty switched on club so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did he 'opt to play in Melbourne' though Reg? Or was he, like others, not wanted? I have no issue with GPS not getting him for the finals and wonder why he is playing in Brisbane rather than Melbourne, or why not Shute Shield if that is the top comp and he needs the competition, but given that Magnay has some history with the club maybe that should be taken into account. Given that Hamish Stewart and a few others haven't been sighted on a rugby field for more than a month (and in Stewart's case apparently haven't even played for the Premier team previously) and only this weekend make their return, their ability to play in finals is questionable too.

Nup. Stewart is contracted through the QRU. Who run Premier Rugby.

Magnay is contracted to the Rebels.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Magnay was at Camp Wallaby at Sylvan Rd. Just guessing but may have been told to get some meaningful game time. Is contracted to Rebels for next 2-3 seasons so will not qualify for GPS finals.

If the ARU have told him to get some meaningful game time, and it's decided to be in the QLD Competition, is it possible that this situation is different to Hegarty, Hunt and Chisholm from previous years? Hegarty was at the beginning of his Super Rugby career, Chisholm retired from professional footy, and Hunt was without a Super Rugby club, whereas Magnay has been told by the ARU to be playing and has been training with the national team.

Surely the national level hold the power in this situation as to whether he gets exemption or not? I don't think it's as black and white as the others.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If the ARU have told him to get some meaningful game time, and it's decided to be in the QLD Competition, is it possible that this situation is different to Hegarty, Hunt and Chisholm from previous years? Hegarty was at the beginning of his Super Rugby career, Chisholm retired from professional footy, and Hunt was without a Super Rugby club, whereas Magnay has been told by the ARU to be playing and has been training with the national team.

Surely the national level hold the power in this situation as to whether he gets exemption or not? I don't think it's as black and white as the others.

This is incorrect. Hunt had a contract with reds, he was just asked to not show up to ballymore for reds training.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
This is incorrect. Hunt had a contract with reds, he was just asked to not show up to ballymore for reds training.

Okay, but he was unwanted by the QRU - therefore the likelihood of them giving him an exemption was very minimal. My main point was that the ARU are involved in Magnays situation, unlike the others. Any thoughts on that?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Exceptions are usually giving to injured players returning for finals who hadn’t played enough games.

If the ARU wants Magnay playing club footy then it should be with the province he is signed too.

I honestly don’t care if he comes back. I like seeing pro players returning to their grass roots. I’ll just be disappointed in a set of rules for GPS and then a set of rules for Wests/Souths, just want the comp being in unison all under same umbrella. The least the QRU can do is explain Why Campbell Magnay was granted an exception where he did not meet the minimum games qualification.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

If Magnay is anywhere near Wallaby selection at this point we're well and truly screwed!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Okay, but he was unwanted by the QRU - therefore the likelihood of them giving him an exemption was very minimal. My main point was that the ARU are involved in Magnays situation, unlike the others. Any thoughts on that?

Are Rugby Australia involved? Or is it just a case of him "coming home" to family and playing club rugby? Anyway I can see how Reds players are all eligible but other Super players aren't. QPR is the QRU's comp.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
If Uni beat Brothers in any final they only have themselves to blame. Seriously FT and you don't take the obvious penalty goal to potentially deny one of the main finals threats a chance in the top 4 is either arrogance or stupidity.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep was there and quite a few scratching our heads as to why you wouldn’t take the penalty to win it . It was crazy windy, but had nailed one into the wind earlier to make it close.

The ref did his best in the final 10 to get Brothers the win, players couldn’t quite get the job done.

As good as Brothers have been this season , their scrum will need to get a lot better to win the comp. GPS would be licking their lips.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep was there and quite a few scratching our heads as to why you wouldn’t take the penalty to win it . It was crazy windy, but had nailed one into the wind earlier to make it close.

The ref did his best in the final 10 to get Brothers the win, players couldn’t quite get the job done.

As good as Brothers have been this season , their scrum will need to get a lot better to win the comp. GPS would be licking their lips.

But if the referees continually let scrum feeds go like yesterday, the GPS scrum will be de-powered considerably. I thought I was watching league yesterday. Check the Sunnybank feed at the 48 min and 53 minute for case in point as the scrum is almost straight in line with camera. The ball is at the No. 8's feet before GPS have even pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.