• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will was either registered or not and if he was properly registered then there is no reason why he shouldn't play more games for GPS in 2020 which will be great for QPR20.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Genia, Quade, Kerevi etc have been training down at the club for 6+ weeks and seeking to play from their Japanese clubs the whole time. I would be nearly 100% certain that through that process all those players would have been given the proper registration by RA/QRU.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am not having a crack at GPS or Will Genia - I just hope for GPS sake that they went through the appropriate channels to have Genia registered otherwise there will be a number of clubs who have been found guilty & punished for playing unregistered (I.e. Players not getting released from the former Union body administering the competition not the club) players who will be asking the QRU to explain the situation.

Previous competition points losses have been like 8-12 points regardless of whether the guilty club won the games in which the unregistered player played.

It is not just a rule that applies to premier grade it has happened at other grade levels as well.

To play club rugby overseas the home Union needs clearance from RA before you can play.

My point is that it doesn't come down to Will's club allowing him to play he needs the clearance from Japanese RU.

If the professional club doesn't want them to play that is a contractual thing - a whole different thing to what I am talking about.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Genia, Quade, Kerevi etc have been training down at the club for 6+ weeks and seeking to play from their Japanese clubs the whole time. I would be nearly 100% certain that through that process all those players would have been given the proper registration by RA/QRU.

Quade Cooper better not play for GPS.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be allowed to switch clubs. It’s his right, Genia and Kerevi will always be lost causes when it comes to club loyalty.

Cooper on the other hand. Is defined as a magpie.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Quade Cooper better not play for GPS.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be allowed to switch clubs. It’s his right, Genia and Kerevi will always be lost causes when it comes to club loyalty.

Cooper on the other hand. Is defined as a magpie.

I'd be beyond disappointed. GPS would be regarded lower than the Filth forever more. And I really don't want that to happen.

J

JeepsTragic

I'd be beyond disappointed. GPS would be regarded lower than the Filth forever more. And I really don't want that to happen.

Why would it be on GPS? Would the club be expected to say "no Quade we dont want you to play for us"? It is completely different from when Souths chased David Codey and stole him from a club who at the time was struggling. GPS did not chase Quade. he could have gone and trained with Souths. There was nothing stopping him.

If he got a clearance then any club to whom he offered his services would be mad to reject him.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don’t think Quade is the one who everyone should be worried about either. Something went down at Souths that caused a mass exodus and thinking that GPS came and ripped everyone out of there isn’t what happened.

I’d be more worried about why Alex Casey left the club.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
N
Why would it be on GPS? Would the club be expected to say "no Quade we dont want you to play for us"? It is completely different from when Souths chased David Codey and stole him from a club who at the time was struggling. GPS did not chase Quade. he could have gone and trained with Souths. There was nothing stopping him.

If he got a clearance then any club to whom he offered his services would be mad to reject him.

The question was posed, that's how I'd feel. Quade also training at the Broncos he's just keeping fit and his hands on the ball
Codey was decades ago, geez talk about holding a grudge.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh something happened at Souths - They got Piconeed!!

As for David Codey - I once asked him why he left GPS in his playing days and he simply said that he wanted to play club rugby with Andrew Slack.

Same reason why Sam Scott-Young left Wests for Souths he wanted to play with his Qld mates Crowls, etc

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Correct - and they chose to bring him in as a coach several years ago and he brought a handful of GPS guys with him, including coaches, no tears being shed here, everyone knew what type of operator he was/is.

I hope you aren’t under the impression that Picone is now back at GPS - he isn’t. So these guys coming to GPS isn’t his doing. The last I heard he had been floating around Norths but not sure if that’s true.

J

JeepsTragic

As for David Codey - I once asked him why he left GPS in his playing days and he simply said that he wanted to play club rugby with Andrew Slack.

Same reason why Sam Scott-Young left Wests for Souths he wanted to play with his Qld mates Crowls, etc

Sam told me only last year that the reason he left Wests was Alec Evans. But like Codey that was years ago.

My point is that it would be unfair to hold GPS responsible for the actions of an individual.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond should not have won today. Very lucky.
Dont know what is happening down there but the reserve forwards provide much more in attack and defence than those starting. Some of the starters look very unfit. Lineout was very poor in the first parts of the game. They need the best starting 15 against the top teams. No more 1 point wins after the hooter against them. Bad luck Norths. Result was not fair.
Watched the other games and Norths, Bond Uni, Sths, and Bank are clearly the bottom rung at the moment. Dont have the depth in all positions that the others appear to have.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Couple of questions about the qpr ladder after the first round (round 3) Just had a squizz at rugbyxplorer.

The team on bye week gets 4 points?
We have gone back to teams who score 4 tries or more getting a competition point? (Didn’t it use to be 3 try victory margin = BP)
Wins from round 1 & 2, whilst no competition points on offer will factor into any tiebreakers come season end?

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Better side lost there - such an innocuous penalty too - had no bearing on the play. Poor refereeing.

Bond should not have won today. Very lucky.
Dont know what is happening down there but the reserve forwards provide much more in attack and defence than those starting. Some of the starters look very unfit. Lineout was very poor in the first parts of the game. They need the best starting 15 against the top teams. No more 1 point wins after the hooter against them. Bad luck Norths. Result was not fair.
Watched the other games and Norths, Bond Uni, Sths, and Bank are clearly the bottom rung at the moment. Dont have the depth in all positions that the others appear to have.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Watched GPS v Brothers live yesterday and it was a great game. Brothers contained GPS very well in the first half. They were probably unlucky to concede a penalty try for the scrum collapse in the first half but maybe the referee ruled it was deliberate.

Looking forward to GPS v Easts, it will be game of the season.