• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I hear that GPS have done this all year.
I am in favour of a team having to go to 14 when they go uncontested, also that are not allowed to pick it up off the base and the halfback has to stand back with the defensive line.

if you make it this punitive it would surprise you how many teams would have props who could play.
After regularly seeing junior teams go uncontested and then stacking the backline with their best players , I always thought it would be interesting to see what would happen the opposing team then got to choose who had to pack down in the uncontested scrum .

Think a coach would quickly find a suitable front row if his team’s biggest attacking weapons were rendered useless by having to pack into the front row an uncontested scrum .

Might also help in the development of front rowers at younger age groups .

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Might also help in the development of front rowers at younger age groups .

Very hard to develop front rowers at a young age these days. I feel like the laws are moving towards essentially a depowered scrum at the younger age groups, for safety reasons of course. So it becomes so hard to gauge whether a kid who's 13/14 is showing good signs as a prop or just a footy player.

I've also seen great props in the 15/16/17 age bracket go through a massive growth spurt as they're finishing school and suddenly they become 205cm tall and redistribute their weight, which isn't exactly what you want in a prop but they become a great backrower.

By the way I'm not trying to devalue your point - just thought it was a good segway as it goes to show why good props are worth their weight in gold, it can take quite a while to unearth them. I remember when All Blacks prop Carl Heyman was the highest paid rugby player in the world a while back.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Very hard to develop front rowers at a young age these days. I feel like the laws are moving towards essentially a depowered scrum at the younger age groups, for safety reasons of course. So it becomes so hard to gauge whether a kid who's 13/14 is showing good signs as a prop or just a footy player.

I've also seen great props in the 15/16/17 age bracket go through a massive growth spurt as they're finishing school and suddenly they become 205cm tall and redistribute their weight, which isn't exactly what you want in a prop but they become a great backrower.

By the way I'm not trying to devalue your point - just thought it was a good segway as it goes to show why good props are worth their weight in gold, it can take quite a while to unearth them. I remember when All Blacks prop Carl Heyman was the highest paid rugby player in the world a while back.
Agree with you on all points raised and have no issue with uncontested scrums for safety’s sake.

I do though have issue with uncontested scrums being called as a tactic by coaches who either lack the skill and know how to coach good scrum technique or just devalue the scrum in favour of how big and fast their centres are.

As coaches we don’t always get it right , but should use all resources at our disposal to teach the basics of the game.

I got it wrong plenty of times.

About five years ago I was coaching U14/15’s , one of our best props in a very good scrum went on to play First XV at a GPS school as an outside back and one of our locks ended up as a prop for Aussie Schools and is still in the Academy system.

But at least we were coaching kids scrum technique and it’s good to see some of them now doing well in senior footy.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Any QPR club that basically goes down to 6th grade in the opens, should not be uncontested in the 2nd grade when they have a dozen blokes to call on.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
As coaches we don’t always get it right , but should use all resources at our disposal to teach the basics of the game.

I got it wrong plenty of times.

About five years ago I was coaching U14/15’s , one of our best props in a very good scrum went on to play First XV at a GPS school as an outside back and one of our locks ended up as a prop for Aussie Schools and is still in the Academy system.

But at least we were coaching kids scrum technique and it’s good to see some of them now doing well in senior footy.

This is the best thing I've seen ever. I would say it's becoming harder and harder to teach good scrum technique for front rowers with the stigma around being a front-rower, particularly in the ages 10-20. Players would much rather be a B grade back-rower than an A grade prop and it's becoming harder and harder to reinforce those necessary front row skill sets.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you can say there is a safety concern & that’s fine... But how do you get experience riding a bench??

I think club footy regardless of clubs, should be about blokes playing... Maybe coaches do not want to deliver the bad news??

Anyway... plenty of young talent up front doing good things.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed the front row was once the domain of the old wise head but they seem to get younger every year -e.g. Zanderr (Reds/Nth), Van Nyk (Easts), etc even the Thor is still young in prop years.

And they know their stuff.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hi all. It's been another crazy week. Here is the table after last weekends games.

Hound 7
manwithcaninhand 7
Dru Spork 7
Happyman 7
Beerad 7
Red Heavy 6
Jets 6
Paty305 6
SageToo 6
Nomad 5
Cam G 5
Bluedog 5
Pick and drive 4
15manHagar 3
K 3
Heavy Unit 2
The Whisper 2
Benson 2

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My recollection is that he was a hooker in the initial stages at Snbk before moving to TH(?)

I can definitely recall him lineout throwing for Snbk - maybe even whilst playing TH.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Best day of the year - Pilecki-Shaw trophy.

Both sides would love to have these two still running out for their club.

Both men were exceptionally talented but above all great club men.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Disappointed to hear that there was appalling sideline behaviour from some in 'the butchery' directing racial slurs and insults at Bond University players last weekend. I am hearing Matty Kaye has already received written notice from Bond University. Stamp this rubbish out of our great game. I am sure this is not reflective of everyone involved with the Filth.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Disappointed to hear that there was appalling sideline behaviour from some in 'the butchery' directing racial slurs and insults at Bond University players last weekend. I am hearing Matty Kaye has already received written notice from Bond University. Stamp this rubbish out of our great game. I am sure this is not reflective of everyone involved with the Filth.
Not the first time that it's happened from that end of the field. They get rowdy and build an atmosphere, and although they claim banter, it definitely can go too far. But this might be the furthest it's been taken in terms of response.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Not the first time that it's happened from that end of the field. They get rowdy and build an atmosphere, and although they claim banter, it definitely can go too far. But this might be the furthest it's been taken in terms of response.

Not the sort of banter our game needs but sounds like it’s a common occurrence. Wonder how their indigenous and islander players feel?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Was just telling someone out at St Lucia that I couldn’t see any team beating Easts and then looked up the scores ........

Well done to the Bank for putting up a fight at Yoku Rd .......

Wests and The Filth might need to work a little on defence before next week ......

511B0274-E941-42EC-8BE5-C8A09524DC5E.jpeg

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond up over Easts.
Bond played well, Easts didnt.
Bond scrum was going backwards but Bond did enough to play through to 80.
Best for Bond were both centres, both break-aways and reserve forward Lachlan Connors.
Easts will have plenty to think abt as they wld have locked in the points prior to this game.
Well done Bond. Great game to watch for those out there who watch them on-line.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Bond up over Easts.
Bond played well, Easts didnt.
Bond scrum was going backwards but Bond did enough to play through to 80.
Best for Bond were both centres, both break-aways and reserve forward Lachlan Connors.
Easts will have plenty to think abt as they wld have locked in the points prior to this game.
Well done Bond. Great game to watch for those out there who watch them on-line.
Yep. Well played Bond. Game management was on par. Never underestimate your reserves as for Easts very confused with the coaching. Especially not using some of the quality you have sitting on the bench. You can’t win premierships with just 15 players. Pointless kicks, no direction and poor game management. All good when you’re going forward but when the pressures on you than see the quality.