• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Well gents the last few posts got a bit dark I have a couple of clubs where the behaviour of the hosts has been very poor. But I am firmly of the view that no-one can take the high moral ground on that one.

Lets get back to the Rugby

My pick for the ladder position and minor premiership.

1 GPS heavily invested in the forwards and should get it done with some imports from Souths out wide.
2 Brothers lots of depth and motivation and a very well run program.
3 UQ Same as above but could lack quality up front.
4 Easts recruited very well and with a high quality second year coach I expect them to be the big improver.
5 Wests have some real ability out wide but could struggle up front unless they have gotten some muscle up front
6 Souths Lots of losses with not much in the way of gains have gone down the youth path with a first year head coach. They will be fit.
7 Bond Lack of Depth and always seem to be a club that is les than the sum of its parts.
8 Sunnybank Very new squad and new coaches so they could be rocks of diamonds.
9 Norths From what I have heard they have recruited well but I think this will be a building year with a lack of depth and next year they will ove up.

Dicuss

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Think Souths might be in position for the spoon.

With the 8 rounds of club rugby where the reds would be available surely they are the least represented by the kids at ballymore.
Who do they have from the Reds.. CFS? Am I missing anyone?

I think UQ will win the competition... they were big improvers on round 2 of last years comp in premier and reserve grade. They also have a red hot colts program.

The teams between UQ and Souths is anybodies guess in the standings. But they are 2 book end teams for me.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)

With the 8 rounds of club rugby where the reds would be available surely they are the least represented by the kids at ballymore.

I think UQ will win the competition. they were big improvers on round 2 of last years comp in premier and reserve grade. They also have a red hot colts program.

The teams between UQ and Souths is anybodies guess in the standings. But they are 2 book end teams for me.

CFS to Norths is what I’ve heard as the latest rumour

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
9 Norths From what I have heard they have recruited well but I think this will be a building year with a lack of depth and next year they will ove up.

Dicuss

Did you copy the above from the previous 10 years of QPR threads?

They've rolled through about 5 head coaches and 'good recruiting' years. I honestly feel for Eagles fans. Drove past the fields just on the weekend, they looked good. I enjoy watching rugby there. But geez I don't know what it will take for them to become relevant again. More than just a few years of building.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
WTF! Why is there a stampede out of the nest? Sounding very disappointing.[/quote]

that would be a surprise given he is a Souths Jumior.

New coach new regime has seen many leave from what I have heard

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Picone effect on Souths is what it is.

He turned it into a very transient club.

He pulled off a great premiership in 2015 but how many of those guys will still be at the club 5 years on in 2020? Granted guys will move onto bigger & better things but you would still think you would still have 4/5 club stalwarts (e.g. A Matt Bennett) still running around.

Will the Harley Fox's (Picone managed players) stick around - I think not.

They may not make finals in 2020 but Dammers will have some young guns who will leave an impression in 2020.

QPR has increasingly over the years become a young man's game.

steveadams12

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Brothers 13? I couldn’t see him moving to Souths! Is this another Thor to Brothers story!!
I think he is an nudgee old boy isn’t he? Was he there during the Dammers period? Hard to see brothers guys moving across the river though, but would be a decent pick up for the maggies if it’s true

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The Brothers 13? I couldn’t see him moving to Souths! Is this another Thor to Brothers story!!

Thor to Brothers?

Thor leaving Brothers is pretty much dead and buried

Saw some Instagram ig stories yesterday and the reds must of taken their club clothing on tour to South Africa

Thor was handling a big python with his brothers hat on and a ladies day brothers pink butcher stripes...

Allthough he may just be waiting on his 2020 wests polo to arrive at the kennel. (One can wish)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So when does every club trials start?

29th Feb for Wests...

In years past there has been some teams who start a week early with trial match against the QLD U20s or touring teams from overseas.

Really starting to get excited for 2020 QPR!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of people on these forums knock the Reds recruitment strategy. This is proof they are being pro-active. Obviously Zander himself put in some work to progress from Nudgee 3rds (which in fairness has the depth to probably rival other schools 1st XV) to playing Premier Rugby and then NRC, but it's great they aren't just looking at the superstars when selecting new talent.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
"I thought our fishers came on a did quite a good job," Wright said of the Reds' narrow loss to the Brumbies.
I didn't know Dane was a keen fisherman.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)

I think UQ will win the competition. they were big improvers on round 2 of last years comp in premier and reserve grade. They also have a red hot colts program.

Big Call there SouthernX. Brothers seemed to fair quite well last year with not a huge number of Reds players. (Although their Aus U/20s players were very handy). Brothers I think have written the blueprint for continued success for years to come. A club needs to be built from the ground up with people that love the club. With the arrival of Piccone and co, Souths became a transient club that was used as a springboard for players to show their talents for Super Rugby or overseas gigs. This also has an effect on premier grade hopefuls that are left behind these players. The clubs that build depth through all grades, tend to be the most successful in Premier Grade. I think Souths will surprise a lot of teams this year with their ability and will be there or there abouts at the business end of the season.

Im sure each player have their own reasons for leaving but there will be a lot that have follow Piccone and Tuqiri with the allure and promise of spots. I think that Dammers gives no favours and expects a work ethic from each and every player which doesn't suit everyone. I think Souths premier grade have underperformed for years with the talent they have had and I think some of this comes down to entitlement and a lack of discipline from coaching staff. This I dont think will be a problem this year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Phil Clinton

Yes , credit where credit is due . And pants off to the young fella in doing what was asked of him.

The chance signing / addition I am most encouraged by this season has been Hunter Paisami. Has really earned his stripes after some stellar QPR Form.

Examples like this ( and there are others ) are good to see and I guess the truth of merit is what they actually do with it when it counts .

I don't give them a complete free pass through - and I know not everyone can get their shot - but I think Jerry Lynch deserved a shot here.