• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This will be the second team/club that Dammers has directly taken over from Picone yes? Same thing happened at GPS at couple of years ago.

There was a big shift in player movement at that time as well (not as big as what seems to be happening at Souths though). And Dammers wasnt able to be successful with the new group. Is there more faith in him at Souths as he's brought through a group from Colts? @Southsidepie, aside from SX giving them the spoon, I don't think many on here believe they will be that woeful, but maybe they're more of a work in progress. Talking up a team to be around at the business end of the season with an unproven coach, young playing group and mass exodus isn't exactly a recipe for success in its first year of a new regime.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
This will be the second team/club that Dammers has directly taken over from Picone yes? Same thing happened at GPS at couple of years ago.

There was a big shift in player movement at that time as well (not as big as what seems to be happening at Souths though). And Dammers wasnt able to be successful with the new group. Is there more faith in him at Souths as he's brought through a group from Colts? @Southsidepie, aside from SX giving them the spoon, I don't think many on here believe they will be that woeful, but maybe they're more of a work in progress. Talking up a team to be around at the business end of the season with an unproven coach, young playing group and mass exodus isn't exactly a recipe for success in its first year of a new regime.

@PhilClinton I referred to Souths being "There or there abouts". This means I don't believe they will be receiving the wooden spoon this year. They may not be in the top 4 but I believe that they will be close. Dammers taking over from Piccone was some time ago and I'm sure he has learned from that experience. Being fit, having good team/club culture and self belief are often times more important that experience and age. I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Dammer's took over GPS in a difficult time. They had a mass exodus with Piccone, a number of retirees and was it the same time a reserve grade coach took players to Norths? Either way, the players that have left, for all their experience couldn't seem to make a great impact last year.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think that Dammers (as a St Lawrence's Old Boy & Souths junior) is a better cultural fit at Souths than he was at GPS.

He's had success at Sydney Uni, just because he inherited a basket case at GPS (a side that should have got the job done in 2013) doesn't mean he can't have sustained success at Yeronga.

Good luck to him and the Magpies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Dammer's took over GPS in a difficult time. They had a mass exodus with Piccone, a number of retirees and was it the same time a reserve grade coach took players to Norths? Either way, the players that have left, for all their experience couldn't seem to make a great impact last year.

Fair points. And yes I believe it was the same era that Fogs went to Norths, he took one fringe Premier player and a few Colts, I don't think that really hurt the club.

The Souths situation does seem eerily similar though, taking over from Picone, lots of players leaving etc. I honestly hope he does well, I've posted on these forums before that I have lots of respect for Dammers as a person from his time at GPS but that he wasn't the right fit at the time for the club. I expect him to make a decent crack with the Souths team over the coming years, but I just don't think it'll be 2020.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The QLD Colts 2020 thread seems a little uneventful so posting my question here

“Which u20 prospects would you consider most likely to play premier grade this year?”
“Which clubs are they at?”

Al Rashford

Frank Row (1)
The QLD Colts 2020 thread seems a little uneventful so posting my question here

“Which u20 prospects would you consider most likely to play premier grade this year?”
“Which clubs are they at?”

There a few boys I'd think might make the step up from colts to possible premier grade showings most notably;
Viliami Lea (Souths)
Alex Smit (Wests)
Will Roach (UQ)
Nic Cross (Brothers)

Any I have missed?
Al.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Tom Van Der Schyff (UQ)
Zane Nonggorr ( Bond )
Spencer Jeans ( Bond )
Dion Samuela ( where ever he ends up playing, most likely Bond )
Josh Fluke ( Brothers ) already played at least a couple of games including the GF last year

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Also have a couple like Fred Fewtrell and Zac Crothers ( Easts ) and Tom Kibble ( GPS ) who have already played heaps of Prem grade

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
There a few boys I'd think might make the step up from colts to possible premier grade showings most notably;
Viliami Lea (Souths)
Alex Smit (Wests)
Will Roach (UQ)
Nic Cross (Brothers)

Any I have missed?
Al.

The mail out of Souths is they will be playing a lot of their 2019 Colts 1 team in 1st Grade.
Makes them very young, will be interesting to watch how they handle the jump.

Al Rashford

Frank Row (1)
Sini Wolske, Phransis Sula Siaosi and Theo Fourie from Souths, Rhian Stowers and Jack Winchester from bond, Ethan dobbinS and Hudson Creighton from brothers, Nick hughs from wests just to name a few more possibly, a lot of young players coming though by the looks of it

Very exciting times indeed. Interesting to see how many young fellas at brothers make it with an already reasonably young/talented first grade.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Viliami Lea (Souths)
Alex Smit (Wests)
Will Roach (UQ)
Nic Cross (Brothers)

Any I have missed?
Al.

Alex Smit has gone over to Easts im hearing for a chance at playing Premier Grade, left vacant by 2019 captain Tom Milosevic

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Good question SouthernX.

Some of these names will depend on where teams are strong or weak, retirements or change of clubs or through injuries and working through the list many have already played Prem grade as either a starter or off the bench. As PPRugby has already alluded, the change of coach at Souths taking through players he knows and trusts will accelerate a few players into Prem grade as well.

Also moving Colts to an u20 comp will shake things up a fair bit over speed that clubs will take players to Prem Grade. I know the adage that if you are good enough you should be selected, but I think it may slow the acceleration of some positions, particularly the tight five into Prem Grade level if there is still an avenue to develop through Colts

u20 Players to watch and noting that some are already incumbent in the Prem Grade teams

UQ
Thomas van der Schyff (blindside flanker, no 8)
Josh Russel (full back, wing)

Brothers
Ethan Dobbins (hooker)
Josh Flook (Out centre, wing)

GPS
Emosi Tuqiri (Prop)
Tom Kibble (flanker, 2nd row)

Easts
Fred Fewtrell (2nd row)
Alex Smit (openside flanker)

Wests
Mitchell Wood (blindside flanker)
Nicholas Hughes (half back)
Carter Gordon (flyhalf)
Cooper Whiteside (fullback)

Souths
Theo Fourie (hooker)
Reagan Leslie (2nd row)
Reno Gerrard (no. 8)
Harry Leerentveld (flyhalf)
Villiami Lea (wing)

Bond
Jack Winchester (hooker)
Spencer Jeans (halfback)
Rhian Stowers (wing)

Norths
Harrison Fox (2nd row)

Sunnybank
Emmitt Keepa (2nd row)
Samuel Samu (wing)

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
Mate both clubs are on the Northside and that is a thing up here. I don’t know why.
GPS are geographically furthest away and Brothers charge an entry fee to what is the worst venue to watch a game at. That and food is not fit to feed my dog.
they are the most successful on field club though.
Based on what?
Uni has won more 1st Grade Premierships, Colts Premierships & more club championships both in the past decade & the century before it.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
How about based on last year? is it the Dougherty shield the clubs play for?? Pretty sure Brothers won by a country mile in that regard
Fair enough that they won the Doughty Shield. It’s their 2nd year in a row after Uni’s 8 in a row before that. I’m sure the shield sits proudly on the wall but the trophy cabinet doesn’t feature any of the big Premiership Trophies

steveadams12

Frank Nicholson (4)
There are a few other young bucks I think that will thrive in the premier grade arena.

Fourie
Fox
Dobbins
Whiteside

I know that’s not all of them but there are a few that I feel will do well
Whiteside and Fox definitely to see a lot of premier grade, Sam Samu already did really well last year as well in a sub par team. Fourie and Dobbins might not see as much time with Fasseler and farrell at both clubs. Alex Smit to have a big year for west’s, who was the premier grade 7 at west’s ?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
SteveAdams12 - it was mentioned here previously that Alex Smit is off to Easts... an unfortunate departure as there are now spots up for grabs in West’s backrowers.

Last year #7 was Connor Anderson. My prediction for Wests captaincy as well with departure of Jerry & LD whom both have captained wests on previous occasions.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Easts (Tigers) will be about the place again this year.
They have a great front row with Van Nek, Schiller, Sanday and Richards and new quality players coming to the club to fill other gaps.
There coach is in his 2nd year and has the respect of the players and the committee.
They probabily wont be getting their REDs players back half way through the year and will affect their premiership chances (helps others teams chances more - boosts their fire power).
Easts will be top 4.