• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree with your post - interestingly down at GPS I would say their colts program and attracting top high school players has been hit and miss over the last 15 years. I think they have only nabbed maybe 3-4 premierships across all colts team since 2006.

They do, however, easily field 3, sometimes 4 teams each year, so that’s 60 odd Colts running around. From that maybe half go on to play grades, so 20-30 players a year injected into the men’s teams. It really shows with depths across the grades. For a while from 2006-2012 I think GPS were consistently winning premierships from Reggie’s down to 5ths.

Despite the extra year now allowed in Colts GPS has only fielded 2 Colts teams this year (along with Sunnybank), and both GPS colts teams are in 6th place on their respective ladders with 3 games and a bye left of their season. I've never seen that happen with either club with both lack of numbers and ladder placing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Despite the extra year now allowed in Colts GPS has only fielded 2 Colts teams this year (along with Sunnybank), and both GPS colts teams are in 6th place on their respective ladders with 3 games and a bye left of their season. I've never seen that happen with either club with both lack of numbers and ladder placing.

Honestly the ladder position doesn't surprise me. I just did a cursory skim through the annual reports and since winning the Premier Colts Comp in 2010, they've only won one other Colts premiership (Colts 2) and the Premier Colts team has only finished in the top 4 twice more. So the quality of talent hasn't necessarily been there, but the player numbers have and this has translated to a bucket full of senior premierships.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
This mindless thuggery has to be stamped out immediately. As posted on this forum earlier, our wonderful game is under enough pressure and scrutiny to allow this crap to continue.

ARU, QRU and Clubs need to send a message TODAY to each and every player, coach, manager and club committee that there is a zero tolerance for this sort of violence.

A Criminal charge has already been brought against one mindless thug in 4th grade in this shortened season. What is it going to take - a one punch death??

NOTICE - Kick them all out TODAY stamped "never to play again".

Was at South's yesterday for Magpies vs Tigers and thought I'd hang around for the Women's game. It was disgraceful in terms of shit banter being swapped but to see the game descend to the point where an all in brawl took place was beyond words. From my vantage point I witnessed East's reserves and supporters storm the field and get involved. I wonder how the QRU deal with this when there are no ARs or video footage generally (I didn't see the game being filmed). Totally unbelievable and won't encourage females to rugby!

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Yoku Rd Virus has proved contagious at St Lucia. Uncontested scrums starting in all grade games excepting Prems where a full reserve front row was used.

Absolutely appalling UQ. I also heard that this was called on Thursday night and the teams "loaded" with back-rowers. No shame.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not true. Uni did have issues early in the week & flagged it with Brothers. On Thursday Uni contacted Brothers & reported that after players passing fitness tests etc they would in fact be able to go contested down to 3rd Grade. Brothers response was that they’d already planned to go uncontested so would in fact be going uncontested.
Uni had 2 fresh props on the bench. The reserve Hooker played in 2nd Grade after Brothers decided to go uncontested.

What a crock. UQ called it. We played all the usual front-rowers. Don't try and blame someone else for your call.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Despite this not being true, what would you suggest for clubs that simply don’t have enough props to compete safely in the Grades? The harsh reality for Australian rugby at club level is there aren’t enough props. Perhaps a consequence of league or players not continuing the game after school. Rest assured no club wants to go uncontested if they can help it.

Its called forfeit or don't play that team. Don't pull the safety card, its not relevant here. Only if there has been an injury on the field then you can pull that call. The leaguies in our school systems are not props!; so your claims are about as ridiculous as the club doing what it did.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Absolutely appalling UQ. I also heard that this was called on Thursday night and the teams "loaded" with back-rowers. No shame.
Don’t embarrass yourself. After Brothers called uncontested UQ had a back rower at loosehead matching your backrower at loosehead unless he’s incredibly gone from a league back rower to a loosehead in the same season. The team lists are readily available for you to check.Brothers called it uncontested after Uni said they’d go contested. That’s a fact whether you like it or not.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its called forfeit or don't play that team. Don't pull the safety card, its not relevant here. Only if there has been an injury on the field then you can pull that call. The leaguies in our school systems are not props!; so your claims are about as ridiculous as the club doing what it did.
Genius. Uni wouldn’t have had a game in Reserve Grade after Brothers went uncontested & no Grades teams could play GPS this season. That’ll get the players paying their $500 per season.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Genius. Uni wouldn’t have had a game in Reserve Grade after Brothers went uncontested & no Grades teams could play GPS this season. That’ll get the players paying their $500 per season.

Mate that is a heap of crap. UQ called it, so don't try and deflect your poor behaviour as a club. What are you a politician or work for Qld Health?

And I'm not embarrassing myself, you should be embarrassed.

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mate that is a heap of crap. UQ called it, so don't try and deflect your poor behaviour as a club. What are you a politician or work for Qld Health?

And I'm not embarrassing myself, you should be embarrassed.
Facts don’t care about your feelings. Best of luck this season. Hopefully you blokes don’t call uncontested again.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Facts don’t care about your feelings. Best of luck this season. Hopefully you blokes don’t call uncontested again.

ladies settle down the solution is simple if you go uncontested higher than fourth grade you play with 14. Also halfback has to defend scrums from the backline and the team with 15 does not have to. If you make the cost high clubs will prioritise Training props and hookers

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping ladder updated. Most managed 4/4 but a few went for some upsets.

Happyman 18
manwithcaninhand 16
Dru Spork 16
Jets 16
Beerad 15
Red Heavy 15
Nomad 15
Cam G 15
SageToo 14
Paty305 14
Pick and drive 14
Hound 13
15manHagar 12
Benson 11
NMPCART 10
Heavy Unit 9
Bluedog 8
K 3
Tony 3
The Whisper 2
King 1

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Like who?
Guess players like Smith and Vella from Brothers , Wallis from UQ , Farrell from Souths and Uru from Easts would get back to QPR quite promptly .

Would imagine their clubs would want to have them train at least once before getting a spot in the starting 15 , so probably rules out this weekend , unless off the bench.

Good chance of seeing some the following weekend .

The non Wallaby selected Reds would most likely get a rest , but who knows , they haven’t played a lot of footy compared to previous years .

J

JeepsTragic

Has Vella been in the Reds squad having never packed down against a senior man in a real game situation? That didn't work for Nasser so why would it work for Vella? he needs to get into club land and toughen up. I am sure he will progress but he needs to learn his trade. Which Smith are you referring to? As far as I know the only Smiths are JP and Ruan who are (were?) GPS.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Has Vella been in the Reds squad having never packed down against a senior man in a real game situation? That didn't work for Nasser so why would it work for Vella? he needs to get into club land and toughen up. I am sure he will progress but he needs to learn his trade. Which Smith are you referring to? As far as I know the only Smiths are JP and Ruan who are (were?) GPS.

Ryan Smith