• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I thought Freney retired after the GPS grand final win?

He answered an SOS for one, maybe two games due to the injuries mentioned above, pretty sure he came back well underdone as he wasn't planning on playing, so I'm not sure if he ended up getting injured himself or just didn't want to commit to any more games.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting.

They can make all the rules they like but if there are no props or players capable of playing prop safely, competition points and Front Row Passport Management Plan are all moot in my opinion.

I think the exceptions should apply to 4th to 6th grade and Colts 3-4 at this stage and see how they go.

Time will tell how effective this approach is and what the outcomes are.

I for one am looking forward to a full season again and spending my Saturdays supporting our grass roots come what may.

The below rules will be in effect regarding uncontested scrums in 2021 for Queensland Premier Rugby competitions. These rules will not apply for additional competitions such as Colts 4 and 6th Grade:
•Hospital Challenge Cup will follow the World Rugby Guidelines in regards to uncontested scrums
•2nd Grade through 5th Grade, Colts 1 through Colts 3 and Premier Women, will abide by the below rules
•If a game starts contested and then goes uncontested, then a reduction in players will occur except in the circumstances outlined here: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/16. There will no competition point penalty applied
•If a game starts uncontested, then the team that called uncontested scrums will face the below sanctions:
i. Game 1: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied
ii. Game 2: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied. Club is given a show cause as to why they have gone uncontested in a 2nd match
iii. Game 3: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied. Club will be directed to undertake and complete a Front Row Passport Management Plan
Note: Competition Point penalties will be taken from the amount of competition points the team that called uncontested scrums received for that match. The team will not receive less than 0 points for the match, unless they also meet the conditions of a forfeit
Note: Should both teams start the match uncontested then they will both be subject to the above penalties.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not at all close to the clubs so only speak from outside, but is it really rugby union if games are regularly uncontested? I don't doubt the difficulty pulling teams together, especially down the grades, but ideally I'd like to see scrums throughout.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
QPR season launch to coincide with an U20’s City v Country game at Wests on Wednesday the 7th of April 7.30pm kick off.

Nice to have some return to pathways rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
QPR season launch to coincide with an U20’s City v Country game at Wests on Wednesday the 7th of April 7.30pm kick off.

Nice to have some return to pathways rugby.

Can’t wait to peek the lineups... hopefully all hands on deck and no oceania u20 Aus camps on during that time.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Downsy has had a rough run with injuries over the past few years . He’s out for this season having had surgery for a hamstring tendon injury in the offseason, won’t be back until next year.

Wishing him well in recovery.

wannabewobbly

Frank Row (1)
For anyone that is interested, Following the culmination of the Queensland Country Championships in Townsville this past weekend, the Queensland Country Heelers squad has been named for 2021.

The squad will first take on a Queensland Premier Rugby U20s side on Wednesday, 7 April, at Wests Rugby Club, kick-off at 7:30pm.

The Country side will then get a taste of Queensland Premier Rugby, lining up against Wests Bulldogs Premier Grade on Saturday, 10 April, with Wests having a Round 1 bye in Premier Rugby. Kick-off at 11:00am.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well the trials have concluded and now it is down to the nitty gritty of the fixture rounds. Souths had a mixed round against Norths yesterday with 1st grade posting another solid win 33-24. 2nd grade a narrow 22-21 loss, however Colts 1 didn't click in the first half and went to the break 0-24. The second half was a hard grind and Norths ended with a 29-0 win.
Souths 3rd grade and 4th grade both had large wins. Really looking forward to the beginning of the competition after Easter.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Well the trials have concluded and now it is down to the nitty gritty of the fixture rounds. Souths had a mixed round against Norths yesterday with 1st grade posting another solid win 33-24. 2nd grade a narrow 22-21 loss, however Colts 1 didn't click in the first half and went to the break 0-24. The second half was a hard grind and Norths ended with a 29-0 win.
Souths 3rd grade and 4th grade both had large wins. Really looking forward to the beginning of the competition after Easter.
Who should we look for to have a good year over there Warhorse.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests and Easts shared the spoils yesterday: Prems narrow win by Easts 26-17; Wests snatched a late try on FT to run out a 32-29 win and I think it was 5 tries to 3 to Easts in Colts 1. All very tight contests with the heat playing a large part in the earlier games and unfortunately for Easts sake I think they won the injury toll in Prems.

Wests have the bye in round 1 and Easts take on Sunnybank at Bottomley.

Hopefully Brisbane can deal with the latest COVID cases and we can get the season underway on 10 April without interruption.

Happy Easter to all.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Geez racking my brain to think of the last time Norths colts would’ve had a win that big, let alone keep a team to 0. Are norths not as bad this year or South’s awful?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Geez racking my brain to think of the last time Norths colts would’ve had a win that big, let alone keep a team to 0. Are norths not as bad this year or South’s awful?

North’s have the Picone factory setup at Shaw Rd don’t they? Should get a couple years of good players before they’re shipped off to Japan.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)

Refer to my comments from last week - they're no slouches. Picone puts 'his' players in 1st Grade rather than colts (well in the GPS days he did). Look a bit closer at the set up in colts at shaw road.

Awesome day of rugby out at Albany Creek. I was a bit nervous when I heard reds players had been withdrawn from QPR trials with a covid case in stafford as its quite close to AC, but we got on the field and there was some great rugby played by both clubs across the board, Brothers probably took the spoils over the course of the day, but there's a noticeable change in the GPS approach this season.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Wests and Easts shared the spoils yesterday: Prems narrow win by Easts 26-17; Wests snatched a late try on FT to run out a 32-29 win and I think it was 5 tries to 3 to Easts in Colts 1. All very tight contests with the heat playing a large part in the earlier games and unfortunately for Easts sake I think they won the injury toll in Prems.

Wests have the bye in round 1 and Easts take on Sunnybank at Bottomley.

Hopefully Brisbane can deal with the latest COVID cases and we can get the season underway on 10 April without interruption.

Happy Easter to all.

So who took out the Compass Cup then?