• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Are they showing replays of Bris Prem Grade on Stan.
Just had a look and only future games are showing up ie next round.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Brothers Vs Uni was a good match

Good performance in a seesawing match for first game of year - uni forwards well on top initially to get Uni ahead 19-0 then brothers to their merit ground back via a far superior kicking game to level at 19-19 Uni reserves coming on in last 15 bought it home for them to get the bacon 31-19. Uni turned over an enormous amount of set play but their short ball game was on song and constantly caused issues.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It was a stinking hot day to be playing rugby.

The conditions and it being the first game of the season probably fair reason for the turnovers. Both teams looked totally cooked come FT , think the UQ bench finished the game off stronger.

Well done to both teams for what would have been a very trying game.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The young Souths were good today. Too many yapping blokes though, Fourie especially needs to stop complaining. He’s in a key position and argued every scrum and lineout.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
The young Souths were good today. Too many yapping blokes though, Fourie especially needs to stop complaining. He’s in a key position and argued every scrum and lineout.
Yeah that needs to be stamped out at club rugby level as refs won't put up with it next level up.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We watched a bit of the Bond/Norths game on STAN, the picture quality was absolutely diabolical. They need to fix this up quickly, otherwise they will have no audience.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
We watched a bit of the Bond/Norths game on STAN, the picture quality was absolutely diabolical. They need to fix this up quickly, otherwise they will have no audience.
I only had time to catch the Uni vs Brothers game from my phone but quality was good.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I agree with your comment PC but it does work both ways. The GPS front row were pretty much in the refs ear all day. Souths may suffer from the problem that the Best player to be Captain is at Fullback.
it would have been more interesting game if the early try in the second half was not disallowed.
Souths were better that expected GPS probably won due to better use of the bench and dominance at scrum time.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yep agree Happyman, too much chatter to the ref in general.

I signalled out Fourie because he was doing the same thing last year. He’s such a talented player but he’s in a position that is already put under the microscope as he’s front and centre in scrums and lineouts. Not all calls are going to go your way, but you need to choose your battles. If a sideline stooge like me notices it, you can be sure the refs have noticed and coaches in higher up teams etc.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Yep agree Happyman, too much chatter to the ref in general.

I signalled out Fourie because he was doing the same thing last year. He’s such a talented player but he’s in a position that is already put under the microscope as he’s front and centre in scrums and lineouts. Not all calls are going to go your way, but you need to choose your battles. If a sideline stooge like me notices it, you can be sure the refs have noticed and coaches in higher up teams etc.
He was the most penalised player in Prems last year. His issue is that every Prem grade player knows he is a hot head and will goad him. Until he learns not to retaliate and gob off to the Refs his progress will be retarded.
On another matter it was great to see contested scrums down the grades rather than lower grades playing 8 flankers and going uncontested if a front rower gets a hang nail. The fatties are back.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
GPS v Souths was a stop start affair due in part to some inept refereeing and both teams struggling to get a rhythm going in the first proper hit out of the year. GPS able to put some put ground attacking moves together and looked dangerous when it clicked, while Souths resorted manly to kick and hope with plenty of defensive pressure. Souths fairly ineffective in ground attack.
The referee was diabolical so while I garre with posters above about players complaining to the referee I can understand their frustrations. Myriad of minor issues but three howlers included;
1.a South kick for touch from a penalty from modeay between the halfway line and ten metre

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. A Souths kick for touch from midway between the halfway and ten metre line that went wrong and ended up over the dead ball line, however the nearside AR and Referee both got the spot for the scrum about ten metres wrong. There was very little game time after the kick so the Ref did not have to move far and had just made the mark for the penalty, making the howler even more unbelievable.
2. A GPS scrum where the tighhead went about 3 metres forward before the Souths scrum pulled out with the scrum wheeling accordingly while the Referee made a call to use the ball rather than reward the blatantly obvious dominant scrum. Both sides looked incredulous at the non decison.
3. A GPS lineout well contested by Souths with the Referee awarding GPS a half arm for six v seven in the lineout when the numbers were in fact even. Souths even pointing to their supposed extra forward who was indeed in the backline.