• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
From what I was told, the Melbourne rebels had no issues with players turning out for Brisbane clubs, provided those clubs paid for all flights and accomodation each time they come.
Personally I’m not a huge fan of it. Yes it’s great seeing them in the competition and makes it stronger but what is it doing for the development of clubs and players. Not to mention the depowering of the Melbourne club comp, which is already in tatters.

Can’t be cheap either
Assuming we’re doing the same for Powell?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what I was told, the Melbourne rebels had no issues with players turning out for Brisbane clubs, provided those clubs paid for all flights and accomodation each time they come.
Personally I’m not a huge fan of it. Yes it’s great seeing them in the competition and makes it stronger but what is it doing for the development of clubs and players. Not to mention the depowering of the Melbourne club comp, which is already in tatters.

Can’t be cheap either

I’d be surprised if that’s the case. Flights back ‘home’ are a regular contract additional for interstate signings so I’d suspect that the Rebels would be covering those for Gordon’s and Vaihus at least.

I also suspect the Rebels would prefer to see their play in a higher competition than What Melbourne can offer. No Shute Shield limits the options.

I suspect what you were told is just your typical case of club rugby Chinese whispers.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if the QRU will allow special dispensations this year only for the interstate players, considering the Covid stuff

I imagine if the conversations are being had, UQ will be the only club in finals contention really fighting for it not to happen as I don’t think they’ve got any professional help outside the Reds

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder if the QRU will allow special dispensations this year only for the interstate players, considering the Covid stuff

I imagine if the conversations are being had, UQ will be the only club in finals contention really fighting for it not to happen as I don’t think they’ve got any professional help outside the Reds
Chippa has been training with UQ , so happy to take him .

Think it would be a bitter pill to swallow if either UQ or GPS went through the regular season in the dominant way they have only to knocked off by a team come finals stacked with interstate Super Rugby players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't be a bad idea to set up some barbarians games for post season though, gives a chance to get some game time into wallabies squad members and those returning from injury

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you’ll find the sevens circuit this season with no NRC will be a QPR festival in steroids with reds and fringe wallabies turning out in droves.

No idea how you develop front rowers during sevens season… I hope Stan picks up the Queensland rugby sevens circuit.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
After this weekends results, a few things are now set in stone points wise. UQ and GPS will play the Major Semi. Easts, Souths, Norths and Sunnybank cannot make the four. The competition over the next three rounds is really all about Wests, Brothers and Bond. It will be interesting to see how Wests go with their late season Rebels imports, some of whom I don't think will be eligible for finals - so that could be quite disruptive to their team should it make the four.

Interesting that Easts are gone and yet they have knocked off Bond, Wests & Bros in the second half of the season - these 3 clubs will be thankful that the Tigers aren’t in the mix for finals footy, because 3 doesn’t go into 2 let alone 4.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This post may be have been done tongue in cheek. But I do not think Bond will be laughing this weekend.

Bond may very well have the last laugh.

The bulldogs best team this year (on paper) was versus brothers at Wests. And brothers handled the dogs quite convincingly.

I really hope my dogs can get up over Bond… I want finals at any cost!!!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not a fan of the stacking of some of the teams like West’s, it’s a positive having all the players in the competition but if they dont have any history with a specific team then they should be spread out.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Had a listen to the Pillar to Post podcast on the way to work this morning. Jaybor mentioned plenty of chat at Wests about the possible turn out of Rebels from the Wallabies squad having a run this weekend , plus Petaia having a run at 15 along with Vunivalu getting some match time.

Could just be recycled gossip, will be a pretty loaded team if it eventuates. Wonder how Bond feel about it?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It's nothing new from Prinsloo really, he flew in a bunch of Western Force mercenaries to GPS during his time. Most of them hung around for a year and left which doesn't do the club any favours. The guys doing the heavy lifting for GPS this year are the blokes who've been around for a while.

Getting the Rebels players involved is just the next evolution. Short term gain for long term pain. Clubs need to learn this.

It's a bit of a double edged sword though - having a heap of fringe Wallabies and proper Super Rugby players running around suburban grounds is rare these days, so it's pretty exciting. But if you're dropping in an entire team, it's hard to support.

Wait and see the team lists, it could all be a huge gee up.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
It is a bit of a double edged, quality players are offered to you, if you miss out someone else will grab them. I understand the Rebels haven't been paying for these players to fly back, it is all at the clubs expense. We had DHP for a game, who I might add was terrific around the club, albeit for a week. I think a small number of these guys is sustainable where it does not upset the true clubmen who will be there long term. Wests might have issues at seasons end with their loyal guys.

A reference was made above about players from WA, it very much did upset the status quo for a little bit, similar to 2015 with a number of new faces following the then head coach who did not hang around or really buy in. Sustainability in clubs is super important. Super players is great for the comp, I just think a large volume of those players at any one club who havent originated from there can be treading a fine line.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There’s not a lot of flying happening atm.

Melbourne is in a lockdown - the aus u20 rebels player were already based in Brisbane because the Oceania comp was cancelled
If the wallabies rebels players turn out for bulldogs this weekend it’s because the 3rd test was in Brisbane and they are not flying back later in the week to serve a 2 week mandatory hotel qurantining.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Had a listen to the Pillar to Post podcast on the way to work this morning. Jaybor mentioned plenty of chat at Wests about the possible turn out of Rebels from the Wallabies squad having a run this weekend , plus Petaia having a run at 15 along with Vunivalu getting some match time.

Could just be recycled gossip, will be a pretty loaded team if it eventuates. Wonder how Bond feel about it?

Bond must be spitting chips.

Good on Wests for attracting such a group. I do wonder about the long term effects for recruiting and retaining prem players though.

It'll be interesting how Reggies go this weekend, I see they lost to the Bank last week with basically the prem back line. This week, The whole West club Prem (less a couple) V Bond 2nds