• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like the style of left winger Ethan Martyn from Bond Uni. Nowhere near the finished product but good step and speed to burn. Can make a try! Played 7s in the summer.
Also Bond have good first row forward but not sure on name.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks Phil

My comment was to generate some conversation and possibly flush out a few names other than the standard over promoted so called super stars of schoolboy rugby.
But it appears all are holding their cards close to their chest.

He are a couple to keep on your watch

Easts - Blyton if he can stay injury free
Brothers - Werchon (?)
GPS - Howse, Barker
Wests - Robinson
UQ- Tierney, Hearn

Of course there are plenty of others we are all keen to see rip in and push the older established prem graders.

Happy to have anyone name a few.
Blyton is a workhorse who will be better in Y22 after hand injury last year. Remind me of ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
A work horse ? He has played like 3 games of Rugby in the last 2 seasons. If you were looking for a 2021 Colt back rower to step up and have a shot in Grade id easily go with James Livingstone. Blyton is more a tight forward, but if it is conceded he is a lock, then again , I’d go with Charlie Scott over him at Tigerland.

I reckon he’s got to prove himself at Colts level first and see how he goes against guys like Mike VDS and Will Robinson , Cooper Bridgeman , Alec Robinson and Taine Riori, Sam Mataafa and John Bryant.

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
If he is playing ,a kid out of school at Easts could skip Colts and go straight to Prem (or maybe after a few games) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he does - at 13,15, or
Blindside wing

His name is Jared Homan. Definitely one to watch if he’s about and playing

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
A work horse ? He has played like 3 games of Rugby in the last 2 seasons. If you were looking for a 2021 Colt back rower to step up and have a shot in Grade id easily go with James Livingstone. Blyton is more a tight forward, but if it is conceded he is a lock, then again , I’d go with Charlie Scott over him at Tigerland.

I reckon he’s got to prove himself at Colts level first and see how he goes against guys like Mike VDS and Will Robinson , Cooper Bridgeman , Alec Robinson and Taine Riori, Sam Mataafa and John Bryant.
Maybe. I like Charlie but Jacob a better temperament.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

From what I saw in Super Rugby on the weekend we all need to be looking for a hookers.

You know the ones that understand and can play as a tight fiver not the ones with grandiose ideas of wearing the number 14.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what I saw in Super Rugby on the weekend we all need to be looking for a hookers.

You know the ones that understand and can play as a tight fiver not the ones with grandiose ideas of wearing the number 14.

A Nasser shot? Harsh considering he had one of his finer QLD games. Did plenty of tough stuff in the middle and was where he needed to be out wide for his 2nd try. But I assume you don't think Sean Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Paul, Keith Wood et al are not real hookers?

Last edited:

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Agreed I have said he has been poor in the past few weeks at the meat and potatoes of the role scrum and line out. But to be fair he performed those tasks excellently on the weekend.
PS all Hookers play in the wider channels these days.

Last edited:
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Never criticized any player.
Just don't understand picking a player for a role / position then have him / her then try and fulfill another one.

For example hiding a flyhalf in defence because he cant tackle. Coach's job is to get them up to standard and assist them to improve their skill set.

If you want a finisher on the wings then pick one, dont criticize a winger for not going to look for the ball. If you want a player to get the ball more often pick him/her in the position that will suit that ie a no 12.

Why is there a fixation because one coach does something then we all have to do it? Dane Coles is a legitimate speed merchant, in truth could well have been a nippy half back or a winger.
Marx is a 6'3" powerful man that could be used regularly in power running type role ie like Taniela Tupou. For mine he is wasted waiting on the wing.

But that is the joys of rugby, each different size , shape and skillset has a role in one of the various positions. It is just the selectors call to put the right mix together considering the strengths at disposal.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
backpedal-dog.gif

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Never criticized any player.
Just don't understand picking a player for a role / position then have him / her then try and fulfill another one.

For example hiding a flyhalf in defence because he cant tackle. Coach's job is to get them up to standard and assist them to improve their skill set.

If you want a finisher on the wings then pick one, dont criticize a winger for not going to look for the ball. If you want a player to get the ball more often pick him/her in the position that will suit that ie a no 12.

Why is there a fixation because one coach does something then we all have to do it? Dane Coles is a legitimate speed merchant, in truth could well have been a nippy half back or a winger.
Marx is a 6'3" powerful man that could be used regularly in power running type role ie like Taniela Tupou. For mine he is wasted waiting on the wing.

But that is the joys of rugby, each different size , shape and skillset has a role in one of the various positions. It is just the selectors call to put the right mix together considering the strengths at disposal.
Spit it out, who is the hooker you think needs a look in? From the context of the posts, it is a hooker who is playing colts but you think is QPR ready.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Spit it out, who is the hooker you think needs a look in? From the context of the posts, it is a hooker who is playing colts but you think is QPR ready.
Just on the Nasser discussion. He had a barnstorming game last week but in reality it is about his 10 game as a hooker. His entire rugby program had him as a No 3. That tells me he has a lot to learn yet and will get better.

There are a few young hookers running around but I will let you all go out to clubland and find them, spend a dollar while you are out there, the clubs will appreciate it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just on the Nasser discussion. He had a barnstorming game last week but in reality it is about his 10 game as a hooker. His entire rugby program had him as a No 3. That tells me he has a lot to learn yet and will get better.

There are a few young hookers running around but I will let you all go out to clubland and find them, spend a dollar while you are out there, the clubs will appreciate it.

Hasn't majority of Nasser's senior rugby program been at hooker? If I recall, he was picked as a prop for the Reds early in 2020. But may have only made one appearance off the bench, before starting his transition to hooker.

I guess it depends how much weight you think his training at junior levels holds. For me personally, especially in regards to front rowers, their development both physically and technically isn't progressing until they leave school.

Not trying to confuse the points we are making, but I think Nasser is reaching a point now where he's been more of a hooker than a prop at professional level, and has been improving quite rapidly this year with more playing time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
3 years in a professional environment training as a hooker is better then my 0min

I thought Nasser did very well on the weekend, this weekend will be a brutal test though, based on his size I don’t think he was ever going to make it as a THP at Super Rugby level. Right to switch him.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Love all the Reds Chat but would love to know more about up coming QPR… Any one got reads on Gains/Losses for their teams?
Trial season just ahead, yee haa!