• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Both those clubs are the cream of the crop.
Both have large targets on their backs due to their success.
the real challenge is for the rest of the comp to catch up with them instead of trying to drag them down

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
the real challenge is for the rest of the comp to catch up with them instead of trying to drag them down

Hmm I don't think tall poppy syndrome is just an aussie thing, nor is it specific to those QPR teams.

Sports need common enemies (usually the best teams) to unite their fans.

The Lakers in the NBA
Manchester United in the football
The Yankees in baseball
Roosters in NRL

The list goes on.

All those teams have some of the most loyal supporters and have been very successful, but they equally have as many haters. Rivalry is what makes sports fun. If everyone went around patting each other on the back, what's the point?? People pay to watch their own team win games, but equally viewers love to watch their most hated teams lose. It creates theatre.

What matters at the end of the day is good sportsmanship and saying 'fair enough, you've won'.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is Sunnybank a Rugby League stronghold? I heard some Rugby League legends came from there

The further south you head down the highway, the more you find rugby league schools etc. for example Marsden State High has produced a number of gun leaguies. And then once you get down the Gold Coast there are some more strong League schools such as Keebra Park and Currumbin-Palm Beach.

I'm not overly familiar with the Sunnybank playing demographic in terms of league vs rugby, but I thought most of the guys who played for the Dragons were rugby strong.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Hmm I don't think tall poppy syndrome is just an aussie thing, nor is it specific to those QPR teams.

Sports need common enemies (usually the best teams) to unite their fans.

The Lakers in the NBA
Manchester United in the football
The Yankees in baseball
Roosters in NRL

The list goes on.

All those teams have some of the most loyal supporters and have been very successful, but they equally have as many haters. Rivalry is what makes sports fun. If everyone went around patting each other on the back, what's the point?? People pay to watch their own team win games, but equally viewers love to watch their most hated teams lose. It creates theatre.

What matters at the end of the day is good sportsmanship and saying 'fair enough, you've won'.
Exactly. My ‘hate’ comment was very tongue in cheek. The old rivalries and passions (within reason) are what makes it fun!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Jonathan Thurston played for Souths-Sunnybank RLFC as a junior.
I think most of the Polynesians contingent who have played for Snbk hale from rugby backgrounds.
Of more recent times I think there has been a solid stream of Logan Saints people who have migrated to Snbk.
The Logan district has very strong RL links and both Cam Smith and Corey Parker played for Brothers-Logan - there you go another reference to Brothers & bogans!!!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know two continuous posts is social media suicide but here is my top 4 prediction - Uni, GPS. Bros , Wests with Bond to finish in its customary 5th

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The further south you head down the highway, the more you find rugby league schools etc. for example Marsden State High has produced a number of gun leaguies. And then once you get down the Gold Coast there are some more strong League schools such as Keebra Park and Currumbin-Palm Beach.

I'm not overly familiar with the Sunnybank playing demographic in terms of league vs rugby, but I thought most of the guys who played for the Dragons were rugby strong.
How do you explain Redcliffe then?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm more referring to you saying the further south on the highway the stronger the league connections so to speak. When the reality is it's in all directions of the cities extremities and everywhere in between at all state schools.