• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It'll be interesting what the field assessors say this morning after the deluge last night. Heavier than expected rain predicted for today as well.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Tough break for Souths they will now have to play Brothers twice in three weeks with UQ in the middle and both teams will be fully loaded.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So Droasese did a runner from the Reds program because he had family issues in Fiji. Then joins the Drua.

Now we see him named in the Wests side for the weekend.

Me thinks something happened at Ballymore that hasn't been publicized.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Or he went back to Fiji for personal family reasons, and when he put his name down to return, the Reds didn’t feel the need to offer him a contract? They are pretty set for outside backs.

So he instead took one up with the Drua.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So Droasese did a runner from the Reds program because he had family issues in Fiji. Then joins the Drua.

I think your clutching at straws TF.

You've been very critical of players who have not come to super rugby via the private school gps pathway.

How is Droasese situation any different from the fringe rebels players who need match fitness that are shipped off to play QPR on the weekend?

the Drua have been based in SEQLD/NNSW for what it’s worth. He needs the match fitness

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Also talentfinder brad thorn has never been afraid to throw a player under the bus when they make a mistake.

Andrew Ready / Nick Frisby for example

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I think your clutching at straws TF.

You've been very critical of players who have not come to super rugby via the private school gps pathway.

How is Droasese situation any different from the fringe rebels players who need match fitness that are shipped off to play QPR on the weekend?

the Drua have been based in SEQLD/NNSW for what it’s worth. He needs the match fitness
SX I take exception to your notion I have been critical of non-GPS .....

I have stated, as have many that the GPS competion is a level above the rest ie more players of a higher standard. That is not to say there are some gems from all areas.

What I have been critical of is the Reds shopping in other areas and not suppporting the plethora of juniors being developed under their noses.

I will note here that Thorny has put additional emphasis on this by looking to the QPR for his next recruits.

If the numbers each year are
AIC 1st XV - 8 teams x 15 players = 120
GPS 1 XV - 9 Teams x 15 players = 135

Plus the others ie Ambrose Treacey, Downlands etc etc - Say 120 players

This makes 375 players per year NOT counting the 2nd (Jock Campbell), 3rd (Dane Zander), 4th, 5ths drilled and skilled in our game.

Surely there are enough before we need to go shopping in another area to hand out contracts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Do we see that?

Wests.jpg

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I use the Rugby Explorer App that the team managers use to submit there teams and results each week.

It is worth using as you get live updates of scores if you are at another ground etc.

Droasese is named at 22. maybe wests are being cheeky and trying to get plenty of players with games registered so come finals they have a bigger pool to select from - (cynical I know)

Or did someone say - Fine Cotton ?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS and Brothers probably happy to get those games postponed. Both teams will be strengthened by returning Reds by 9th July which is well after Super Rugby season finishes (and let’s be honest the Reds are looking like they’ll be all done by early June).
Agree

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I use the Rugby Explorer App that the team managers use to submit there teams and results each week.

It is worth using as you get live updates of scores if you are at another ground etc.

Droasese is named at 22. maybe wests are being cheeky and trying to get plenty of players with games registered so come finals they have a bigger pool to select from - (cynical I know)

I find the Facebook announcement more accurate than Rugby Xplorer every week. At least you get 23 name.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)

I have stated, as have many that the GPS competion is a level above the rest ie more players of a higher standard. That is not to say there are some gems from all areas.

What I have been critical of is the Reds shopping in other areas and not suppporting the plethora of juniors being developed under their noses.

I will note here that Thorny has put additional emphasis on this by looking to the QPR for his next recruits.

This makes 375 players per year NOT counting the 2nd (Jock Campbell), 3rd (Dane Zander), 4th, 5ths drilled and skilled in our game.

Surely there are enough before we need to go shopping in another area to hand out contracts.
It would be enough players if the Reds had exclusivity on their selection and development. But the Brumbies, Rebels and Force are pretty active.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)

The QPR 2022 Competition Rules are pretty clear with respect to Final Series player eligibility.

If they are a Contracted player and registered with a club for the season no later than 3rd July, they do not have to have played a minimum of matches.

All RA/QRU and RA Sevens contracted players are eligible provided they have a season registration.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It would be enough players if the Reds had exclusivity on their selection and development. But the Brumbies, Rebels and Force are pretty active.
Reds should be watching them from 13 or 14 years old
Qld rugby needs to put a program below the reds contracts that kids want to play and stay in the game. It use to be NRC but that appears buried now. Especially when any spare cash is going to put into the RWC 27

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

The Reds, including Thorn have always been big on developing our QLD talent and they are always first consideration. We do it better than any bloody state.
Also, the Reds have always been big on keeping an eye out for the juniors from the early teens, but a lot can happen over a 5 year period so contracts are not usually a topic. It’s more so keeping in good with the parents, school and coaches. There have been an occasional few that have picked up contracts in year 11 and 12. Years ago the school program when the Red’s players used to visit the schools for training sessions had a great impact. Unfortunately the tighter budget comes changes, however now we have regional visits, club visits and a few other things going on. What more do you want?

EDIT. With advancements in technology, the games are recorded, and can be streamed through Hudl, Stan, Rugby TV, YouTube etc, so the recruiters have far more coverage than before. I’d say the Reds are all over it.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just had a look at the team lists as per the QPR Instagram post.

Liam Dillon named at 9 for Bond , if he stays injury free it will make for an interesting selection choice once Spencer Jeans is back in QPR. Thought Liam was the top halfback in QPR a couple of seasons ago, has had a rough run of injuries since. Hope he goes well !

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The Reds, including Thorn have always been big on developing our QLD talent and they are always first consideration. We do it better than any bloody state.
Also, the Reds have always been big on keeping an eye out for the juniors from the early teens, but a lot can happen over a 5 year period so contracts are not usually a topic. It’s more so keeping in good with the parents, school and coaches. There have been an occasional few that have picked up contracts in year 11 and 12. Years ago the school program when the Red’s players used to visit the schools for training sessions had a great impact. Unfortunately the tighter budget comes changes, however now we have regional visits, club visits and a few other things going on. What more do you want?

EDIT. With advancements in technology, the games are recorded, and can be streamed through Hudl, Stan, Rugby TV, YouTube etc, so the recruiters have far more coverage than before. I’d say the Reds are all over it.
What else do I want you ask?
thought my opinion was obvious. Stop trolling around in the South Pacific and Europe looking for players. They are under our nose.
Why not spend the few dollars we do have on developing our own?