• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
You can say many things about Souths underperformance during the Dammers era but they have probably been the fittest team in the comp so I would think if he wanted an easy time he would have stayed at West’s.
I expect we will see a different George Francis in 2022
Whats happening with George Francis? Third QPR club in three years. His 2021 form was well below what he showed in 2020, which was good enough to earn him a Super team training contract. A fair bit of that decline was to do with conditioning by the looks. Maybe he didn't appreciate Elwee trying to whip him into gear during the offseason.
It’s big George’s 3rd club in about 8 months. That must be some kind of record in QPR surely.
I recon he’ll play for another club before the end of the 2022 season following an inevitable fallout with Souths.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Oates boys heading down to Randwick is a loss for UQ and QLD rugby, there is a bit of a log jam of young outside backs at the Reds right now though so I guess it's not too surprising.

yeah and Faessler going there too. Is that specific recruitment by Randwick (paid)? Or something sneaky on behalf of the Tahs ?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
yeah and Faessler going there too. Is that specific recruitment by Randwick (paid)? Or something sneaky on behalf of the Tahs ?

Is Pup McCormack still there? I know he’s been around Brisbane lately for work and visiting family. He may have done some face to face recruitment.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
So I've heard that Fijian Drua will be playing a pre-season trial match against a QLD Fiji side in Mid January, made up of fijians currently floating around the Brisbane club competition and other club comps in QLD. This is a great idea. I'll have an attempt at a squad below:

Prop
Jone Tiko (Wests)
Sunny Ratulevu (Easts)

Hooker
Josh Tuqiri (GPS)

Lock
Api Naiyabo (Easts)
Masi Ganita (Sunnybank)
Filimoni Seruvatu (Easts)
Ravuama Vuetanavanua (Sunnybank)

Back Row
Ratu Vio (GPS)
Alex Smit (Easts)
Adre Namalo Kauyaco (GPS)
Saula Vuaca (Norths)

Halfback
Josh Vuta (GPS)

Fly-Half

Centre

Matt Smit (Easts)
Kenneth Robertson (UQ)
Vilikesa Raboiliku (Wests)

Wing
Emori Waqavulagi (GPS)
Ben Navosailagi (Wests)
Mika Tela (Easts)
Shea Lalagavesi (Easts)
Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
Leone Cama (Souths)
Abele Atunaisa (Bond)

Fullback
Meli Dreu (Easts)

I'm sure I have forgotten multiple. Any anyone can think of?
I also understand Isaac Tarraby and Henry Lennon are returning to Brothers after a Year off

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Seems like Louis Wershon is staying at Brothers, which I like, happy to battle it out with Christian.

Hearing Seru Uru may head in a different direction than south.
We also have Isaac Tarabay returning after last season off and wanting to be in form for prems. Will be an interesting battle at halfback.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wonder if the Fijian Drua will use QPR to give their extra squad members some match fitness, there will be about 6-8 weeks overlap where Super Rugby is still running and QPR has started, so could see them feature early in the season.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Speaking of half backs , just read this in the GC Bulletin. A possibility for Bond?
395777FA-9EA3-4D87-B94F-349F50AB6315.jpeg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is Pup McCormack still there? I know he’s been around Brisbane lately for work and visiting family. He may have done some face to face recruitment.

Updating my own post - had a few of the Brethren clan chewing my ear off over the weekend.

They seem to think Ben McCormack is a decent chance of returning to Crosby Rd in 2023, apparently he's getting married in Brisbane over the coming weeks, and may be looking to relocate back here as his wife's business is mostly QLD based, but he's still definitely committed to staying in Sydney for the upcoming season.

Pup has been involved with a number of Shute Shield rugby programs over the last few years, it would be a massive coup if Brothers could get him back into their ranks, and no doubt he would bring a few cattle with him. Keep an eye on it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
speaking of Brothers, they will need to have a few more 'losses' added to their status.

Harry Vella, Titi Nofoagatatoa and Nathan Carroll have all joined the Brumbies Development program and linked up with local clubs.

Nick Chapman back down there too.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
speaking of Brothers, they will need to have a few more 'losses' added to their status.

Harry Vella, Titi Nofoagatatoa and Nathan Carroll have all joined the Brumbies Development program and linked up with local clubs.

Nick Chapman back down there too.

Hudson Creighton down there as well

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Hudson Creighton down there as well
Biggest changes would appear to be UQ, Brothers and Norths,

I worry for Norths who could have done with a second year of stability which they cannot seem to get. Paulo is a big loss.

Wests seem to have recruited strongly and GPS and Easts have been quiet.

I wonder what will happen with the Drua excess players and where they might go and if they will prove to be a Sugar hit as they might go home in the back half of the season when Super finishes.
lots of guys going south for a potential opportunity at the Tahs level as the Reds seem to have developed stability Which ultimately means a lack of opportunity for the those who are not the chosen few.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You would hope that if there are Drua squad players looking to play club rugby, that the QRU works with the Fijian union to disperse them amongst a number of teams. More so to ensure those blokes don't play half a dozen games as you say Happyman, and then bail home/head to another contract overseas once Super Rugby is over. If there are 5-6 players in the same side who suddenly leave, it really hurts that momentum. But I guess that is also up to the Head Coach to monitor.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Hearing Sam Wallis has signed with the Rebels after his train and trial and starting in the trial vs the Tahs tomorrow… hard pressed to think of a guy more deserving coming through the system. Very happy