• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He’s definitely playing with them mate… massive loss for Norths coming through their Colts system but can you blame him
Will be interesting how Mick handles him and Davies at LHP. Thought Alex had a standout year this season , one of the big factors in UQ's much improved scrum and very good doing the hard shifting work come ruck time. Would be a great shame to see him held back to accommodate a contracted Red's player. Saying that , Zander will most likely be with the Reds until whatever Super comp gets off the ground.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
He’s definitely playing with them mate… massive loss for Norths coming through their Colts system but can you blame him

didn’t play much for Norths last year and I was advised when he wasn’t playing reds or norths he has had discipline indiscretions with reds and was given a hefty fine but no explanation from reds as is often the case

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Will be interesting how Mick handles him and Davies at LHP. Thought Alex had a standout year this season , one of the big factors in UQ's much improved scrum and very good doing the hard shifting work come ruck time. Would be a great shame to see him held back to accommodate a contracted Red's player. Saying that , Zander will most likely be with the Reds until whatever Super comp gets off the ground.
Davies was a standout last year much better potential for mine

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry Josh Nasser.
Will he be the premier grade hooker at Uni next year or is that experiment done with, and if so would he be able to secure one of the other front row positions in 2022?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Sorry Josh Nasser.
Will he be the premier grade hooker at Uni next year or is that experiment done with, and if so would he be able to secure one of the other front row positions in 2022?
Can’t see him changing positions now , he is well suited to wearing #2 and was starting to look very good there this season before he busted his foot.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ok I didn’t realise he got injured - I just hadn’t heard much of him in 2021 that’s all. Last game I saw him play was the 2020 GF which wasn’t his finest hour (nor Uni’s) when his scrum was decimated & his lineout throwing exposed as a difficulty.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Josh's form last year was career best and he was really coming along as a hooker, until his injury. He's still number 3 on the Reds books for mine but I think he's worth persevering with. There are some good young ones around.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Ok I didn’t realise he got injured - I just hadn’t oheard much of him in 2021 that’s all. Last game I saw him play was the 2020 GF which wasn’t his finest hour (nor Uni’s) when his scrum was decimated & his lineout throwing exposed as a difficulty.
Ended up with a Lisfrancs injury against Wests , so played about 7-8 games .

Agree about the 2020 GF not being his finest hour , but he was playing well in 2021. If you get a chance , have a look at the GPS v UQ game in the first half of the season. He was dominant, a massive improvement on the back end of 2020.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Things looking up for UQ's depth chart in the front row
Zander is a helluva prospect and with the right ongoing technical Coaching to round out that raw power and instinct I expect him to be ( in time , if not already ) a first choice Reds No 1

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any chance Richard Kingi linking with Bond. There was a piece in the GC Bulletin a couple of days ago saying he has fallen out with the Griffith Uni Knights where he was the Assistant Coach but is training the house down and looking to run out with another club in the GC comp in 2022.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Any chance Richard Kingi linking with Bond. There was a piece in the GC Bulletin a couple of days ago saying he has fallen out with the Griffith Uni Knights where he was the Assistant Coach but is training the house down and looking to run out with another club in the GC comp in 2022.
That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Bond could really benefit with his experience. Does he still go alright? Presumably still a mouthy halfback.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
UQ have released a new logo, seems to be a a targeted decision to change their branding and downplay the Uni connection. Seems odd, wonder what the justification of this was.
FD5B0013-8703-4A51-ADBB-F9651F66AAEB.jpeg

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
You would think if they were really trying to push aside the Uni reference they’d have scrapped the ‘UQ Rugby Club’ writing from the main logo.

Looks to me like a few marketing students got posted to the rugby club over the holidays and made a few changes to freshen the brand for 2022. Maybe the new jersey manufacturers didn’t have the right shade of maroon?

GPS did a similar thing when they went ‘commercial’ a few years ago, modernised the logo a bit and updated the colour scheme to be bolder.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You would think if they were really trying to push aside the Uni reference they’d have scrapped the ‘UQ Rugby Club’ writing from the main logo.

Looks to me like a few marketing students got posted to the rugby club over the holidays and made a few changes to freshen the brand for 2022. Maybe the new jersey manufacturers didn’t have the right shade of maroon?

GPS did a similar thing when they went ‘commercial’ a few years ago, modernised the logo a bit and updated the colour scheme to be bolder.

i dunno, I tend to think dropping the UQ coat of arms from the jersey for the first time in 80 years is pretty significant, decisions like that aren’t taken lightly.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
i dunno, I tend to think dropping the UQ coat of arms from the jersey for the first time in 80 years is pretty significant, decisions like that aren’t taken lightly.
UQ has always had “Red Heavies” logo , this is just the new , less cartoony one . The University crest will stay. The Red Heavies logo is used on training gear and merchandise etc ……

The old logo……. and with associated merch ……

Attachments

• 073C9136-3914-4539-B443-429A9FC9DB90.jpeg
    073C9136-3914-4539-B443-429A9FC9DB90.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 84
  • E93A1493-8144-46CC-BB1C-49A779E408FA.jpeg
    E93A1493-8144-46CC-BB1C-49A779E408FA.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 81