• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Hearing Tasi from Bond is heading to another Premier club maybe East's or GPS apparently chasing a Super Rugby opportunity

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Disappointing for Bond as he was their player of the year in 2021 and they went the early crow confirming his signing for 2022.

Does going to GPS really increase his chances of playing Super Rugby though? I would have thought if he's good enough, playing at any club would be sufficient.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Disappointing for Bond as he was their player of the year in 2021 and they went the early crow confirming his signing for 2022.

Does going to GPS really increase his chances of playing Super Rugby though? I would have thought if he's good enough, playing at any club would be sufficient.
That is so true Phil… But I think he might be in that group of guys who play for their mates and not for a club… Shame for Bond.
Loyalty might well be dead in QPR.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Him playing outside a good ball playing 10 would give him the best chance of getting recognised. Thought the Bond halves were actually pretty good the last couple of seasons.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Him playing outside a good ball playing 10 would give him the best chance of getting recognised. Thought the Bond halves were actually pretty good the last couple of seasons.

Yeh I’m not across the GPS recruitment, but I wouldn’t call their flyhalf stocks of 2021 ‘elite’, obviously they were good enough to make a Grand Final, but that was largely behind the forwards. I personally preferred Cooper-Jones over Vuta at 9 as well, but it’s been said here that he’s gone to West’s, which is a big loss.

Whereas I know the Bond halves combos were quite slick all year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I’m not across the GPS recruitment, but I wouldn’t call their flyhalf stocks of 2021 ‘elite’, obviously they were good enough to make a Grand Final, but that was largely behind the forwards. I personally preferred Cooper-Jones over Vuta at 9 as well, but it’s been said here that he’s gone to West’s, which is a big loss.

Whereas I know the Bond halves combos were quite slick all year.
Yeah , that’s what I’m getting at, I wouldn’t move from Bond to GPS for the halves combination.
As you said , GPS are a good team and have a proven formula. Forward based , strong set piece and in recent seasons plenty of crash ball options in midfield. Not sure Tasi would be a stand out in that game plan, no doubt he and GPS will prove me wrong.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
speaking of bond centres...what Corbin Kiernan up to these days? I remember him having that horrific leg injury in 2020 but is he looking at making a comeback?

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
speaking of bond centres...what Corbin Kiernan up to these days? I remember him having that horrific leg injury in 2020 but is he looking at making a comeback?
I believe Kiernan is back which will help Bond offset the loss of Tasi. Rumours are he's already training

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Congrats to Doubles Daly on his OAM.

Great for Doubles and Souths. Pretty amazing reading his story in the paper the other day, gave me a new appreciation for the kind of effort and love he has put into Souths and rugby in general in QLD.

Has me thinking, are there any other notable OAM's from the grassroots rugby world? I would love to hear about them if so, it gives me some renewed optimism about the impact our game can have. I know Steve Moore got nominated a few years ago, but I think that was for his service to rugby as the Wallabies captain, he has also since gone on to have a really positive impact at UQ post professional retirement (and I'm sure he was involved during his playing days).

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Denis Owen (Reds & Easts stalwart) christened Daly with the “Doubles” nickname whilst at school together at St Laurence’s. Aren’t too many people in the world that are just known by the one name e.g. Cher, MJ, Madonna, Bono. So he is in rare air space indeed is Doubles.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Denis Owen (Reds & Easts stalwart) christened Daly with the “Doubles” nickname whilst at school together at St Laurence’s. Aren’t too many people in the world that are just known by the one name e.g. Cher, MJ, Madonna, Bono. So he is in rare air space indeed is Doubles.
Ash, Renaldo , Karen , Donald …..there is more than you think

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Connor Vest in the Reds squad for this weekend which must be a big boost for UQ. Kye Oates there too. Tom Lynagh as well. No James Dalgliesh though???:confused:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Connor Vest in the Reds squad for this weekend which must be a big boost for UQ. Kye Oates there too. Tom Lynagh as well. No James Dalgliesh though???:confused:
Gee you got me there. You sure a sharpie. Good to see you give Connor Vest some acknowledgment though after you basically denigrated him last off season when there was discussion in and around the scarcity of Reds lock stocks and his name was put forward. As I recall he was too old and was of no consequence for his NRC team etc etc and therefore not worthy to be discussing to be of interest to the Reds.

And no ....of course he 99% likely isn't going to play meaningfully for the Reds ahead of Lukhan, Smith, Blyth (1) or Uru. And yes, it is likely more of an acknowledgment of performance at QPR level in an exercise of symbolism and alignment.

I just think it's accidentally funny that you reference Vest, now, this year, after your previous dismissal of him last year, to make a petty point in a not so passive aggressive swipe at me - that no one else would get who isn't reading the Reds thread and then dusting off the same arguments in dismissal of James Dalgleish ,who clearly, the Reds have no requirement for. Wow. :)

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think this might have something to do with the pool of uncontracted players that Super Rugby clubs can call on if required.
i know both Vest and Oates have been approached to be part of that pool of players .

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee you got me there. You sure a sharpie. Good to see you give Connor Vest some acknowledgment though after you basically denigrated him last off season when there was discussion in and around the scarcity of Reds lock stocks and his name was put forward. As I recall he was too old and was of no consequence for his NRC team etc etc and therefore not worthy to be discussing to be of interest to the Reds.

And no ....of course he 99% likely isn't going to play meaningfully for the Reds ahead of Lukhan, Smith, Blyth (1) or Uru. And yes, it is likely more of an acknowledgment of performance at QPR level in an exercise of symbolism and alignment.

I just think it's accidentally funny that you reference Vest, now, this year, after your previous dismissal of him last year, to make a petty point in a not so passive aggressive swipe at me - that no one else would get who isn't reading the Reds thread and then dusting off the same arguments in dismissal of James Dalgleish ,who clearly, the Reds have no requirement for. Wow. :)
I'd love for you to find the statements of me so harshly denigrating Vest.