• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I go back to my previous point - how is travelling to the coast such a hard thing to do?? They are part of the competition so it shouldn’t matter. God forbid teams have to do it twice in a year… ffs get over it
will be a ghost town down there if Bond doesnt supply any teams.
General punters will struggle to warrant doing the trip

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Agree - sending clubs to the Gold Coast is ridiculous for a Brisbane based competition. It's far away, they have almost no local supporters that can walk to the game like all Brisbane clubs located within residential suburbs (Bond games are always the worst attended), the environment has no atmosphere (so the tv product will be poor) and doesn't serve any other particular purpose. QRU really keep shooting themselves in the foot running premier rugby - the clubs could do a better job and should probably do what Sydney did and form a body to operate club rugby as a separate entity and not under the QRU's control at all - a commercial organisation that was focused on club rugby can do so much better with the Brisbane club competition. Club rugby for QRU is an after thought at best and certainly not their priority, and the QRU just doesn't have the commercial or technical expertise to execute the club competition properly and that prevents club rugby reaching its true potential ....which is currently greater than super rugby imo
I thought the QRU was created originally out of the clubs?

Think there is a chicken and egg type question to be answered here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought the QRU was created originally out of the clubs?

Think there is a chicken and egg type question to be answered here.

no. There were no rugby clubs. They formed after the QRU was formed. It was formed by largely expat Irish and Englishmen sick of being dictated to by AFL as to what form of football they could play, and against who and on which grounds. The first two clubs were the Fireflies and Wanderers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
but he had to have been responsible for the the last one at least to receive the card.

Players who dont listen to warnings and adapt their play are nothing but dumb.
What garbage, there’s no need to call players dumb, you’ve said nothing but derogatory and negative issues about Van Nek. He played a great game and smashed the UQ scrum, swallow your pride and accept that.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

What garbage, there’s no need to call players dumb, you’ve said nothing but derogatory and negative issues about Van Nek. He played a great game and smashed the UQ scrum, swallow your pride and accept that.
I have acknowledged he is a strong scrummager.

I actually paid extra attention to him while I sat in the stands on Saturday.

For mine, he could have been pinged a few more times for not packing or pushing straight. He had on many occasion played the old school "bore in on the hooker" trick.

As for my "dumb" statement, that was for all players at all times. Rugby has become a stagnant penalty-athon.
My gut feel is spectators are leaving to RL and AFL because the game is quick and ball is in play for a larger percentage of the 80 minutes.

Forgetting footy for a second, anyone who doesn't adjust after being warned is also dumb. Think of the police letting you off a speeding fine, a magistrate warning a juvenile offender, your wife (or partner) giving you a hint about something around the house.

So to be clear, I have watched RVN since he was 15/16 play for numerous teams. I understand he is a strong man. I understand he applies his strength to scrummages in rugby pretty well.
I don't rate him as high as some other folk because of the rest of his play.

That's rugby (sport) - it subjective. My likes and dislikes don't have to be the same as yours.

PS he didn't do over the UQ scrum on his own. He had 7 other helpers as well.

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
2 tough games this weekend with Bond hosting UQ and Easts hosting Brothers. Bond and Easts are chasing hard and with seasons on the line this could make it very interesting in terms of overall placement of the top 4 but also add a bit of pressure on teams for must wins until the very last game.

HaydenM

Frank Row (1)
But clubs would vote on the process. They have to agree to the season draw etc including the finals structure.
I’d like to give you a thumbs up but that’s incorrect. Clubs and some gps schools were invited to tender, QRU then dictated who got what.
Parking or having change rooms for more than two teams at a time obviously didn’t carry much weight in the tender process, amongst other things….

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d like to give you a thumbs up but that’s incorrect. Clubs and some gps schools were invited to tender, QRU then dictated who got what.
Parking or having change rooms for more than two teams at a time obviously didn’t carry much weight in the tender process, amongst other things….

so clubs didn't know it would be tendered out like last year?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

so clubs didn't know it would be tendered out like last year?
One of life's great pleasures for 30 plus years has been the QPR finals weekends.
Good hard rugby, good atmosphere and generally good attitudes and camaraderie on and off the field. Always at the one venue, Ballymore.

Now I know because of construction / redevelopment we cant be there this year (like last year) but surely the concept of having the entire QPR Fraternity (Seniors, Colts, Womens) together should have had some more consideration.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Several schools would have easily hosted all games at the one venue , but it wouldn’t be a good look having clubland supporters ripping and tearing on school grounds. Nor would it financially benefit any of the QPR clubs. At least this way there is some kick back to clubs in QPR and hopefully the QRU. Hence the term “ tender” being used.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don’t get the attitude of rubbishing people who are annoyed at having to travel? Particularly if it’s for a game where they won’t even be playing Bond.

Id farking love to live on the Gold Coast, I really enjoy it down there. But I can’t be bothered driving to my office in Brisbane each day, the commute sucks. The distance being travelled is significant and I genuinely think a lot of supporters won’t bother travelling down to Bond, which is a shame.

But at the same time, it is what it is, the games have been allocated to Bond (and their facilitates are top notch, so no issue with that) and players will turn up and play, but don’t force everyone to smile and be happy about it, they’re allowed an opinion.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t get the attitude of rubbishing the decision to take 1 day of finals to a club that has invested so much in facilities, scholarships and development staff to keep premier rugby pathways alive on the Gold Coast.

Calling it a ridiculous decision because it’s a ‘Brisbane-based competition’ ignores the efforts Bond and the fans do in making this trip weekly. On one hand, people call for QPR to become a semi-professional competition, but on the other hand, begrudge the idea of growing markets outside inner city Brisbane.

anyway, it is what it is, next year Ballymore will be open again and the status quo of clubs travelling the hour-long journey only once a year will return.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have acknowledged he is a strong scrummager.

I actually paid extra attention to him while I sat in the stands on Saturday.

For mine, he could have been pinged a few more times for not packing or pushing straight. He had on many occasion played the old school "bore in on the hooker" trick.

As for my "dumb" statement, that was for all players at all times. Rugby has become a stagnant penalty-athon.
My gut feel is spectators are leaving to Rugby League and AFL because the game is quick and ball is in play for a larger percentage of the 80 minutes.

Forgetting footy for a second, anyone who doesn't adjust after being warned is also dumb. Think of the police letting you off a speeding fine, a magistrate warning a juvenile offender, your wife (or partner) giving you a hint about something around the house.

So to be clear, I have watched RVN since he was 15/16 play for numerous teams. I understand he is a strong man. I understand he applies his strength to scrummages in rugby pretty well.
I don't rate him as high as some other folk because of the rest of his play.

That's rugby (sport) - it subjective. My likes and dislikes don't have to be the same as yours.

PS he didn't do over the UQ scrum on his own. He had 7 other helpers as well.
You have got better eye sight than me if from the grandstand at Uni over the athletics track you can tell what is going on in the front row battle. The refs can’t and they are 3 feet away!!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I am not sure GPS can field a much stronger team than what ran out on the weekend and they will be assessing the damage after a fairly comprehensive loss at home. Wests looked good, having the Rebels boys there for an extended period this season has given them more cohesion.

GPS play Norths this weekend so you'd think most of their teams will grab bonus point wins. The competition looks very close across a number of grades this year, GPS in particular need some wins to crack finals in 2nd grade so playing Norths is a real bonus for them at this stage of the season.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

You have got better eye sight than me if from the grandstand at Uni over the athletics track you can tell what is going on in the front row battle. The refs can’t and they are 3 feet away!!
Stan and Gem have some pretty good pictures/film