• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nah, direct contact to the head with force. Followed by an eye gouge in the following melee. Not a good look for the Wallaby poster boy.

All these recent cases of high tackles and you still haven’t bothered to look at the high tackle framework by World Rugby?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's funny, the Reds say they don't have the power to tell a Super Rugby player what club he should go to.......yet we all know this year Zander was sent to UQ away from Norffs. Will be interesting to see where Luke Jones ends up next year. Coz it will only be UQ, Brothers, Wests or Easts.
How do we know Zander was sent to UQ?

As far as Jones goes, have you considered he might have other reasons to end up at one of those clubs, like the fact that his father in law (and brother in law) both played for Wests?

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
I believe one of the reasons KT left Souths in 2021, was he felt he should be playing Prems not Colts 1 or Reggies. Will be interesting where he plays.
I think the change was more based on protecting the QRUs investment in young prospects Ripley and Thomas - Ripley obviously moved on to the Rebels at the end of that year.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Very interesting final round

Brothers would consider themselves a mathematical chance of making 2nd after seeing what UQ did to Sunnybank. I think they need to win by 75 points, crazy to think that would even be possible… of course it would also require GPS to beat UQ without a losing BP.

GPS task is easier, but still unlikely I reckon, beat UQ at Yoku by 17pts (with a bonus point) to take 2nd spot.

If UQ roll out a similar team to this weekend I think they’ll handle GPS easily. Will be interesting to see if the Wallabies guys get called back into camp/selected in the 23.

GPS would have been banking on a bonus point against South’s to make their life easier. Honestly both teams looked crap yesterday. Wests didn’t look too great either, no urgency.

UQ and Brothers definitely have the momentum leading into finals.
Agree UQ have the momentum but Brothers have had 2 losses and a very scrappy win with poor forward fitness and set play finesse along with a lot of turnover and dropped ball because they wanted to score in every play I am sure they know they have a lot of work to do.

JOC (James O'Connor) had occasional impact but he didn’t gel like he did a few weeks ago - Hamish Stewart had a blinder however.

Billy Bully looked to have received a season ending injury which won’t help them either as he is one of the best finishers in Australia for mine.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
How do we know Zander was sent to UQ?

As far as Jones goes, have you considered he might have other reasons to end up at one of those clubs, like the fact that his father in law (and brother in law) both played for Wests?
He told me when I asked him.

Not sure what in-laws have to do with it. Does his wife make the footy decisions?
There's a Coach from his Sydney days at another club. Maybe he'll land there.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

This has been brought up before on the Rebels thread and here - and fair enough there are a few sides to the coin, but generally it’s accepted that the Rebels players won’t get any better playing club rugby in Victoria due to the standard.

It’s beneficial for their development (which in turn is the development of Australian rugby players) to have them in the QPR or Shute Shield.
But don't we want to build the melbourne , canberra and perth competitions?
Imagine the player pool if we could get 5 solid Premier (shute shield, QPR Type) comps up and running.

Plenty of places for young ones to learn and develop, instead of relying on a handful at each academy because we dont want league to steal them.
Plenty of spots for old heads to return and give back a little.

Maybe I am dreaming.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It's funny, the Reds say they don't have the power to tell a Super Rugby player what club he should go to.......yet we all know this year Zander was sent to UQ away from Norffs. Will be interesting to see where Luke Jones ends up next year. Coz it will only be UQ, Brothers, Wests or Easts.
I believe he has a family and historical connection to Wests.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Tell that to the Horan's. South's boy with the son at UQ.

yes agree on that scenario, weird Alex went to UQ considering his fathers legacy at South’s.

Luke Jones may end up elsewhere but he was at the wests lunch earlier in the year sitting at the same table with his father in law and brother In law.

if he’s keen to go play for his Shute shield coach then more power to him - don’t think it would go down to well at the Christmas dinner… but that’s Luke’s decision to make . Not his in-laws

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
yes agree on that scenario, weird Alex went to UQ considering his fathers legacy at South’s.

Luke Jones may end up elsewhere but he was at the wests lunch earlier in the year sitting at the same table with his father in law and brother In law.

if he’s keen to go play for his Shute shield coach then more power to him - don’t think it would go down to well at the Christmas dinner… but that’s Luke’s decision to make . Not his in-laws
Agree that he'll more than likely end up at Wests.

So the roster at lock for Wests next season.
Lopeti, Hosea, Jones, Max Johnson, Angelo Smith, Alec Robinson?

The boys lower down will be hoping for a few injuries.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Alex went to UQ with his mates - ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Conor Moroney.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Surely the farce that existed across Premier Rugby yesterday is finally enough for the QRU to start actively working for Premier Rugby rather than against it (or apathetic to it at best). Sunnybank getting 100+ put on them by a UQ side so strong that they have a starting Reds player running around in Colts for UQ the same day with another contracted Reds player in UQ colts also (what a joke). UQ also taking on several of Rebels players (Jooste, Pincus, Fagaase, Ripley etc) while potential Qld players are pushed to the bench or reserve grade . Not too mention UQ and other stronger clubs recruiting the best players from lower ranked clubs as well (year after year). Then Wests being pumped up all season by Rebels players on fly in fly out arrangements which pushes Qld talent onto the bench or reserve grade impeding their growth. There is so much wrong with all this for Qld rugby. Why is the QRU not showing leadership and trying to share the talent around rugby clubs to promote a stronger club competition that then becomes worth more to sponsors and broadcasters? if the lower ranked rugby clubs programs aren't considered up to scratch then why doesn't the QRU offer to help improve them for all of Qld rugby rather than direct their players to the same 2 or 3 stronger clubs every year? often clubs that their very own employees have come from (conflict perhaps?) why are the QRU sitting idolly by while the Rebels use our club competition to benefit the Rebels while actively detracting from the Reds program as potential Reds players get pushed out of starting teams in QPR? Very frustrating to watch as a Qld rugby fan....

If you had a choice out of further developing your game under a multi premiership winning coach/setup or one at the opposite end what would you do?

Of the players you mentioned for uq only 2 are new to the club. Joost I believe came to the club because he is mates with a couple of the UQ guys down there, the club chased him up and he enjoyed the atmosphere.

Not sure about Zander but I don't think it would be a tough decision at the moment to jump from north's to UQ, particularly if you are looking to further advance your game or chasing a premiership.

The clubs currently riding high also lose a lot of quality players to other clubs. Often players they have developed at that level.

It goes both ways, quite often to the detriment of the "more successful" club at the time. It can be a bit of a knock on effect through the grades/colts and you need a good club culture to minimise your losses.

I don't think the employers should have any input as to which club the guys actually play for. That's a personal decision based on many factors.

The start of your post sounds like a fair bit of sour grapes. I assume your club isn't doing great at the moment. Perhaps the onus should be put on clubs to do more to attract and / or retain their players?

Wondering where you are getting your information about the qru directing players to certain clubs? I would be surprised if this is actually the case and not just Chinese whispers