• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That GPS backline looking savage. Wouldn't hate it if Tevita was bought into the Reds squad either, though we don't really need outside centres. Surprised he isn't popping back up at the Force.

Strange end to the big man's career, fizzled out in Super Rugby the last couple of years, and last I heard he was AWOL from his club in France.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Nadalo is only on a 12 month contract, it's pretty hard for them to enforce he stays in Sydney a further few months to play SS if plans on moving back to QLD to retire later this year anyway.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Strange end to the big man's career, fizzled out in Super Rugby the last couple of years, and last I heard he was AWOL from his club in France.

I haven't seen him play recently, but he's definitely got the build and play style to cause some headaches in QPR.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Would dearly love to see RA step in and make it mandatory for contracted players to stay in the state competition under that super franchise.
ie REDS - QPR, Waratahs - Shute Shield, REbels - Melbourne, Force - Perth , Brumbies - ACT/Canberra.

This would spread the talent and possibly help drive some interest in grass roots around the country. It would strengthen Melbourne comp for sure.
This would then build a bigger pool of players to "select" for higher honours.

PS take it easy with the sh%t canning please.

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Would dearly love to see Rugby Australia step in and make it mandatory for contracted players to stay in the state competition under that super franchise.
ie REDS - QPR, Waratahs - Shute Shield, REbels - Melbourne, Force - Perth , Brumbies - ACT/Canberra.

This would spread the talent and possibly help drive some interest in grass roots around the country. It would strengthen Melbourne comp for sure.
This would then build a bigger pool of players to "select" for higher honours.

PS take it easy with the sh%t canning please.
I like the idea, and it would help the clubs if they were to actually promote the fact that 'name players' were to be playing as a way to attract more spectators.

I think the argument against it is that the weaker comps don't provide a high enough level for Super Rugby players to keep their standard up. I would be interested if this has ever been studied to see if it does have an impact or not.

Then if we could get the top clubs from each comp (based on season) to play each other that would add to the interest. All comes back to dollars to fund it.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
You can't have fringe players playing club footy in Melbourne one week then playing against the Crusaders the next (an extreme). The gap is simply way too big
Well it is up the Victorian Rugby to improve the standard so the gap closes.
QPR and Shute Shield cant be expected to prop up all the franchises for ever.

We know another tier would be nice but havent been able to have any success with NRC or similar so we have to make "clubland" stronger around the country.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

maybe that’s what they are doing but your not seeing the bigger picture here.

Once upon a time the Canberra Vikings played In QPR and after a few seasons of ongoing success they decided to leave and send their cattle back to the inferior ACT clubland … I ask you this? Why did the Vikings join QPR? Why did the Viking leave QPR?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
QPR and Shute Shield cant be expected to prop up all the franchises for ever.

We know another tier would be nice but havent been able to have any success with NRC or similar so we have to make "clubland" stronger around the country.
But if Victoria Rugby improved their standard. What would Wests do?? ;)

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
maybe that’s what they are doing but your not seeing the bigger picture here.

Once upon a time the Canberra Vikings played In QPR and after a few seasons of ongoing success they decided to leave and send their cattle back to the inferior ACT clubland … I ask you this? Why did the Vikings join QPR? Why did the Viking leave QPR?
Joined - Looking for better comp for their players
Left - cause the financial drain of airfares and accom etc

What is the bigger picture then?
All I see is a bunch of very talented players bust their asses for most of the season to be bumped when the "stars" return. No wonder so many give it away or go offshore to develop.

In brisbane alone there are about 500 first xv standard kids leaving school each year capable of playing the game to a good standard (plus seconds, thirds, fourths etc) yet some clubs struggle to field a second team in colts which is made up of 2 year groups. 9 clubs needing 60 players should be easily achieved. But why cant we keep them in the game for a few years after school?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Joined - Looking for better comp for their players
Left - cause the financial drain of airfares and accom etc
so the rebels look to be following the Vikings blueprint - except for entering a team of their own they are allowing their Brisbane born and bred players to go back to Brisbane to play club rugby.

In an ideal world we still have the NRC and the rebels wouldn’t even need to entertain sending their players to QLD

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
so the rebels look to be following the Vikings blueprint - except for entering a team of their own they are allowing their Brisbane born and bred players to go back to Brisbane to play club rugby.

In an ideal world we still have the NRC and the rebels wouldn’t even need to entertain sending their players to QLD
The problem is that QLD kids are missing out on spots to develop to make the REDS a better operation.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem is that QLD kids are missing out on spots to develop to make the REDS a better operation.
The other side of that argument is the Rebels' players make the QPR a stronger , higher standard comp. Playing with and against them exposes more players to Super Rugby level standards. This in turn helps develop Qld kids. If you have a local lad competing well or even playing better than a Super Rugby player, that's got to be a good thing for at least being identified for possible further honours.

Could be total rubbish , but should at least consider the value that the Rebels' players add to the competition.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hearing reports from some people on the inside at The Filth that it's "toxic" there. Anyone heard similar? Seems there's a lot of unhappy campers at the Family Club.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hearing reports from some people on the inside at The Filth that it's "toxic" there. Anyone heard similar? Seems there's a lot of unhappy campers at the Family Club.
What could cause the unhappy camper?
Selections? Nepotism? Cronyism? Misalignment of stated club values versus reality?

Reactions: Ras

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Been the vibe for over 12 months now apparently.
We saw the shuffle of personnel in the office last year as well so something is not aligning.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
let’s see how toxic that club is midway into the season when 90% of their teams are sitting in the top 4

winning has a way to cure things (or hide underlying issues)
Whilst I was born, bred and battled to hate them the above s pretty true.

Yes they have a new president, one of the great men and he doesn’t change things to piss people off, he does it for the betterment of the club that he has played for a long time. That said, I go for anyone bar the filth