• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
I forgot to mention Phransis Sula-Siaosi from the Reds as well as the four Junior Wallabies, Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, John Bryant, Willem Johnstone and Taj Annan to come back to Clubland at some time.
All contracted super rugby players are eligible for the entire second round of QPR - if they are not required for Wallaby duties.

Thats the joys of a RWC year where seasons start earlier then normal.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All contracted super rugby players are eligible for the entire second round of QPR - if they are not required for Wallaby duties.

Thats the joys of a RWC year where seasons start earlier then normal.
Thats firstly provided they don't make finals and then follow the mandated stand down period.
Round 10 of QPR (1st round of 2nd Round.....makes a lot of sense) is the first week of finals in Super Rugby. So throw in the stand down period and assumed end of season celebrations and could be a couple of weeks into the 2nd round we see all non-wallaby super players

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Any spectators / sideline experts at the Brothers vs UQ trials care to report in?
yep spent a lovely afternoon in the sun watching a raft of live rugga.
Most grades had some game time at Crosby road. The lower grades had regular rotations.
The No 1's game was made up of 6 x 20 minute stanzas. 2 separate teams who play 3 stanzas each. Teams were evenly mixed up of prems and reggies players.
Standard was pretty good given first hit out. Not a lot of dropped ball which was surprising. Strong commitment to the collision by both teams with some heavy tackles and robust clean outs.
Didnt appear to be any serious injuries so all coaches should be happy
Both sides had solid scrums that will obviously improve.
I think it ended up 3 or 4 tries to each team so pretty even.

Ref was very good at getting the game to flow (thankfully as it was a trial).

Players that drew some attention
Mosiah Christenson, Brad Kappa and Brothers outside centre (sorry not known to me)
Alec Davies (short cameo off the bench), Jake Tierney, Connor Rous and Mac Grealy were all very solid in their positions.
Plenty of others too that were putting in for their coaches given the heat.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nice to see Samu Kerevi down at GPS training the other night, good to see key players like that popping up in clubland particularly giving some facetime with the Colts, they're the blokes you need to stay in the game long term.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
who are GPS trialing against during this preseason? if the main squad over in Fiji that puts into disarray the opportunity to maximize inter club trials with other qpr outfits

just putting it out there. Might not be ideal preseason for the club in general prioritising premier grade and then having a spanner in works preseason for rest of the club.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
@SouthernX i can’t tell if that’s a troll post?

GPS went out to Dalby last weekend and played a grades trial against them, two games.

And they have a full club trial against Easts in a few weeks.

Not sure how a trip over to Fiji and also taking their teams out to the country can be viewed as anything except for positive for the club and game in general.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
who are GPS trialing against during this preseason? if the main squad over in Fiji that puts into disarray the opportunity to maximize inter club trials with other qpr outfits

just putting it out there. Might not be ideal preseason for the club in general prioritising premier grade and then having a spanner in works preseason for rest of the club.
Saw something a while back that GPS is playing Fijian Drua A this Saturday in the curtain raiser for the Drua vs Crusaders game. Which is amazing for a number of reasons.

and the club's Instagram says their grades, women and colts are playing Sunnybank this weekend, and as Phil said, a full club trial against Easts the following weekend.

Sounds like an above-average preseason to me.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
@SouthernX i can’t tell if that’s a troll post?

GPS went out to Dalby last weekend and played a grades trial against them, two games.

And they have a full club trial against Easts in a few weeks.

Not sure how a trip over to Fiji and also taking their teams out to the country can be viewed as anything except for positive for the club and game in general.
Why would this be a troll post?

Just asking about arranging opponents with qpr afflicated clubs when your main team is unavailable because of a preseason tour.

I personally see this being beneficial for premier grade but not ideal for rest of club.

Reactions: Ras

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just a really bizarre attitude to have that unless a club is trailing against other QPR clubs it isn’t a meaningful pre-season?

How do you think competitions like the QPR grow and gain depth unless they look outside the traditional pathways. The relationship GPS have with the Dalby club is great and all players and supporters from both teams love that weekend.

The Fiji tour is also made up of more than one game, there are players from the 2nds team touring with the group who are playing against some of the local teams.

I doubt anyone at the club will be underdone or underprepared for Round 1.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Sunnybank Prems had been left in the lurch as they were under the impression that GPS would be still fronting a team against their Prems.

But thankfully have arranged a last minute game with a Melbourne team.

Hugh Jardon

Bob McCowan (2)
Why would this be a troll post?

Just asking about arranging opponents with qpr afflicated clubs when your main team is unavailable because of a preseason tour.

I personally see this being beneficial for premier grade but not ideal for rest of club.
My opinion is that there isn't enough clubs touring anymore. Nothing better then going on a rugby tour with some of your best mates to a different country to play rugby and test the local beers. I'm sure every club will be fine when the mighty gallopers can't make a trial. It is a good opportunity for clubs to trial against ther touring sides or thinking outside the box and organising a side to play.

as the famous bear grylls said, improvise, adapt and over come.

Anywayyyyy, referring back to an old comment, the big Tonga Ma'afu is a Ex marist ashgrove and GPS galloper anyway. Great addition for GPS.

Has Norths picked anyone noteable up? genuinely feel sorry if they haven't. so much potential where that club is located

that is all.

have a good day to everyone except brothers rugby club

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interestingly I have heard 'Tha Monstar' Jesse Williams has caught up with a couple of 1st grade players around Brisbane for a 'chat' over the past few months to discuss any potential involvement in a push to grow American football in Australia and head to the NFL.

I had heard about him meeting with one or two players but thought it was more of a casual conversation, as he is based in Brisbane and knows a lot of people in the same circles. But it sounds like things have become more formal, trying to get a few to resign from rugby.

To be frank, I don't really see it as a threat, but interesting that he has decided to go straight to the top and talk to a few of the younger blokes who are probably fringe contracted players over the next few seasons. Seems like a non-event to me, but just thought it was interesting.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Just saw on the Easts Instagram footage of the internal trial they had last thursday. Seems like they are shaping up alright this year despite the low profile. Seems to be the same players from last year with no major additions.

i always found it baffling that players dont want to transfer to easts from other clubs. We hear all the time players jumping ship between brothers, GPS, Uni, Wests for a better opportunity even though the team they are transferring to already is loaded with depth.

I hardly hear of players going to easts.

Why is Easts not an attractive club? Seems like a no brainer having a crack at prem grade there?

Am i wrong?

Hugh Jardon

Bob McCowan (2)
Just saw on the Easts Instagram footage of the internal trial they had last thursday. Seems like they are shaping up alright this year despite the low profile. Seems to be the same players from last year with no major additions.

i always found it baffling that players dont want to transfer to easts from other clubs. We hear all the time players jumping ship between brothers, GPS, Uni, Wests for a better opportunity even though the team they are transferring to already is loaded with depth.

I hardly hear of players going to easts.

Why is Easts not an attractive club? Seems like a no brainer having a crack at prem grade there?

Am i wrong?

Best Social club in brisbane. Definatley the best off field performances and culture.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Am i wrong?
Ben Mowen is moving on next year - unsure if that impacts Easts recruitment.

last season they picked up Shae Lagavalesi (wests) and Zac Sheppard (Sunnybank) so the notion that they are not good at recruiting is debatable without first seeing the 2023 ins & outs on a season preview

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Van Nek is a huge loss for Easts, his scrummaging was a major factor in their push to make the finals at the back end of last season. Definitely going to need to find something to make up for that loss.